The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We had a great time at the shelter. We took some kittens and a 2 year old cat into a bonding room. The older cats owner died and she’s been at the shelter since February. We could only stay an hour, but will go back another day to give attention to some more.View attachment 397959View attachment 397960View attachment 397961View attachment 397962View attachment 397963View attachment 397964View attachment 397965View attachment 397966View attachment 397967View attachment 397968

Can you take home maybe just one? :cat:

MySmallWorldof4

Cape Cod is feeling the squeeze of the shark sightings this summer. It's been really active down there. Watched a local news report about this yesterday, and the merchants are losing some vacationers, due to the occasional shutdown of beaches.
I think Jaws was filmed at Martha's Vineyard? I believe the idea though came from a shark attack near Manasquan, NJ. Dh and I loved to bike in that town when we lived over there. Sharks had been found in the river there in the past. Remember this @SteveBrickNJ ?

wdwfan4ver

We used to start after Labor Day when I was a kid in NY. We finished at the end of June. I do prefer that because then you actually get a summer vacation. That’s just me.
I remembered that in the section of Wisconsin I grew up in too here, but it stopped in 1992 for me due to the public school system I came from. Back in 1992, they started school in last August and it was the was till I graduated. I liked it the way it was before 1992 myself. The teachers wanted year round school for the school system I came from despite the fact the schools did not have air conditioning at all.

The reason the school system now is 2019 has some schools start this early is the claim it early gives an advantage in terms of more weeks of instruction prior to national act and ap testing dates. What this is about is trying to improve their school system ranking in the state.

MySmallWorldof4

I remembered that in the section of Wisconsin I grew up in too here, but it stopped in 1992 for me due to the public school system I came from. Back in 1992, they started school in last August and it was the was till I graduated. I liked it the way it was before 1992 myself. The teachers wanted year round school for the school system I came from despite the fact the schools did not have air conditioning at all.

The reason the school system now is 2019 has some schools start this early is the claim it early gives an advantage in terms of more weeks of instruction prior to national act and ap testing dates. What this is about is trying to improve their school system ranking in the state.
The getting more school days in before testing was our school district's excuse.

SteveBrickNJ

I think Jaws was filmed at Martha's Vineyard? I believe the idea though came from a shark attack near Manasquan, NJ. Dh and I loved to bike in that town when we lived over there. Sharks had been found in the river there in the past. Remember this @SteveBrickNJ ?
I wish I remembered that. That would be more fun for both of us. Unfortunately I don't remember that Manasquan incident. Have a great night my friend☺

wdwfan4ver

Those schools must have a special permission to start before Labor Day , as far as I know the law is still September 1. I know that sports can start practices and even have games before September 1. Our teams started practice last week.
I guess the school system does in this case does have a motive, but rather not give my opinion here. The public school system in this case is very pathetic when it comes to reading, writing, and math proficiency tests. The school system has some grade schools start early besides middle schools and High schools.

The 2017 - 2018 school year test for Reading and Writing proficiency test and the math proficiency shows big difference between the state average and the public school system that exists. The 2018-2019 results are not known yet.

The state results shows 40.6 percent of all students passed the reading and writing. but less 20 percent of all students in public school in question was able to pass same 2017 - 2018 taking the proficiency test.

The math proficiency test for 2017-2018 school year even showed a bigger a gap. Our state has 41.1 percent of all students that took the test passed, but only 16.2 of all students from the this public school system that took the test were able to pass it.

The sad thing is there is other school systems in south eastern Wisconsin has similar problems with the Reading, Writing and Math Proficiency tests.

Last edited:

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
Well, here we go again. I hate making posts like this.

Brian got let go today. Yes, from the new position he just got promoted to. Benefits didn’t even kick in yet. (Ironically, if he’d kept his old position this wouldn’t have happened.)

He’s taking it pretty hard. I’m pretty concerned as well. He was already out of work for a couple of months with the eye surgery and was just catching up. I’m stretched thin after moving the store.

Considering canceling our little WDW trip in two weeks, although it actually wouldn’t save a whole lot since most of it was covered by Chase points. Still, seems kind of irresponsible.

Maybe just downsize the hotel or cut one day to have more points for meals, etc. I’ll check availability in the morning.
Geez, you all can’t catch a break! I hope he can find another job soon!

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
For anyone interested, I started a thread about my Hawaii Trip in the Photography section. It's not a true trip report, more of a photo report.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom