The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Anyone ever been to a beach in Cocoa Beach. We are considering a beach day when we go down in 2 weeks. Trying to figure out what beach to go to. There are 4 public access ones.
I went there a few years ago from Kissimmee. I can tell you this... It's a lot of sand, parts of the space center are visible, there seems to be a large body of water just to the east of the sand and, forget it, the place has been picked clean of all genie's in a bottle I was dreaming about. I looked for hours and came up empty. ;):)
The best I could do were a few empty beer cans. Very disappointing, it was a nice beach though. I was kidding about the beer cans. :D

Tony the Tigger

So I definitely heard all of your collective advice.

Per usual, I do my own thing. LOL.

Haven't made any decisions yet, but taking a few minutes here and there to look at available options has been a great and fun distraction.

For context, we were supposed to do two short trips originally, as we've done before (not always, but sometimes) one trip closer to my bday, and one a week later, closer to our anniversary. It so happens this year both events actually fall on a weekend, so we couldn't go on the actual days with our Weekday Select AP's (which expire 9/6.)

Since we had a challenging year, I decided to go with 3 days at the end of August rather than 2 in August and 2 in September, and just splurge a little more in August. We were trying to avoid the Star Wars madness even though I love Star Wars. Hence the 8/25-/8/28 trip.

The biggest downside to that was missing Food & Wine, which we love. We had hoped to do a different luncheon this year, but even with more flexibility of dates, the only ones available are the ones we've done already. (That doesn't mean we wouldn't do and thoroughly enjoy them again, but my instinct would be to try to find something different first.)

Based on past experience (he's been looking for a job in some form or another almost every year for the last several years) it's a slow process. I think the chances are low that if we postpone the trip by a week, we'd have to cancel so he could start a new one. I mean, you never know, but I doubt it.

The rooms in general are only slightly higher that week. (Pop Century was like $5 more per night vs. the week prior.)

We would actually save money with the pup. Best Friends Pet Care is almost $40/day for day care (not overnight.) If we leave her home, we have a local sitter who comes to the house 3 times a day, and charges $20/day. I'd rather have her with us, but it's a short trip, and we won't have to spend about 90 minutes out of the day dropping her off and picking her up. I mean, it's totally worth it when we do it, but this will be our last park trip for some time, AFAIK.

I'm going to do a little more research, but we are really all about the dining at WDW. Given that, having a less expensive room and more money for dining and drinking (especially at Food & Wine) fits better, the more that I think about it. The fact that there is still availability at reasonable pricing is surprising (and fortunate.)

Going to check crowd calendars just in case. We'll see. Should make a decision by tomorrow.

Goofyernmost

Yep, I knew several states didn’t require any kind of vehicle inspection, but, couldn’t remember which ones.
Here’s the breakdown, so to speak...!!!!! :D:joyfull::hilarious::rolleyes:;):)

View attachment 397846
I remember when Vermont required a full inspection every 6 months. What a pain in the rear differential that was! However, Vermonters were prone to running cars that were ready to fall apart on the road. Bad tires, broken glass, no mufflers, brakes that were metal on metal and tie rod ends with so much play that it took two complete turns of the steering wheel to get the wheels to move even a little in the direction you wanted to go. In other words... death traps.

Goofyernmost

They're leaving for WDW tomorrow. Nine nights of having the house to myself. So. Excited.
I always have the house to myself, and frankly, it does get old after awhile. However, I can see why a young person like yourself would be looking forward to it. I know I would have. But by the time I was 24 I had been married for a year and a young'un on the way. So I spent a lot of years without having the place to myself. Circle of life, I guess.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
I always have the house to myself, and frankly, it does get old after awhile. However, I can see why a young person like yourself would be looking forward to it. I know I would have. But by the time I was 24 I had been married for a year and a young'un on the way. So I spent a lot of years without having the place to myself. Circle of life, I guess.
Well, when you've been used to sharing a home for so many years, I'm sure it would get lonely. I'm looking forward to the quiet, eating dinner on the couch, singing karaoke...full disclosure, I might go to Hershey this weekend, though. So I likely won't be able to have an entire day in the empty house unless I work from home one day next week.

I know a few people my age who are married or engaged. Only one with a kid at this point, and it wasn't really intended to happen when it did. I'm perfectly content to wait until I'm older for marriage, especially since I don't want kids.

donaldtoo

I remember when Vermont required a full inspection every 6 months. What a pain in the rear differential that was! However, Vermonters were prone to running cars that were ready to fall apart on the road. Bad tires, broken glass, no mufflers, brakes that were metal on metal and tie rod ends with so much play that it took two complete turns of the steering wheel to get the wheels to move even a little in the direction you wanted to go. In other words... death traps.

Don’t forget worn out shocks, burned out lights (sound familiar :D;)), fuel/oil/etc. leaks, etc.
Cali. is the one that gave me a chuckle...
Emissions tests, no big surprise there.
But, no safety inspections...?
Apparently, they care more about their citizens dying from exhaust carcinogens/breathing issues than from poorly maintained vehicles...!!!!! :D:hilarious::cautious:;)

donaldtoo

Well, here we go again. I hate making posts like this.

Brian got let go today. Yes, from the new position he just got promoted to. Benefits didn’t even kick in yet. (Ironically, if he’d kept his old position this wouldn’t have happened.)

He’s taking it pretty hard. I’m pretty concerned as well. He was already out of work for a couple of months with the eye surgery and was just catching up. I’m stretched thin after moving the store.

Considering canceling our little WDW trip in two weeks, although it actually wouldn’t save a whole lot since most of it was covered by Chase points. Still, seems kind of irresponsible.

Maybe just downsize the hotel or cut one day to have more points for meals, etc. I’ll check availability in the morning.

Wow. So very sorry to hear.
Hope y’all can still find a way to swing the trip, cause with this crap y’all will probably need it now, for sure. Whatever it takes, within reason.
Something just smells with the way this all went down with Brian recently...just makes no sense.
Hope he can find something new and better in the near future.
Prayers coming from here.

donaldtoo

Tony the Tigger

Wow. So very sorry to hear.
Hope y’all can still find a way to swing the trip, cause with this crap y’all will probably need it now, for sure. Whatever it takes, within reason.
Something just smells with the way this all went down with Brian recently...just makes no sense.
Hope he can find something new and better in the near future.
Prayers coming from here.

Thanks.

Believe it or not, we now have confirmation this was a set up.

I mentioned B’s catering side jobs. The reason he knows the guy who runs catering jobs is because the stadium uses that guy to supply temp workers (bartenders, etc.) for big events - so he is in regular contact with Brian’s boss. He would use Brian in the off season.

Brian spoke to that guy today and lined up a couple of gigs.

The guy said something along the lines of, “Man, I thought your boss was kidding when he said he was going to put you on for a couple of games and then probably get rid of you.”

I don’t even know where to begin.

donaldtoo

I'm glad she's making meals that she loves--and "shares" them with you online! :joyfull: That's all that matters.

(For me, I don't care for most of vegan options, but know that more people now are trying them.)

There’s actually some really good vegetarian/vegan stuff out there these days, unlike the spores, molds, funguses, algaes, and grasses of yesteryear...sorry, couldn’t resist...!!!!! :D:joyfull::hilarious:;):)

Cesar R M

For anyone interested, I started a thread about my Hawaii Trip in the Photography section. It's not a true trip report, more of a photo report.

following :eek:

Cesar R M

Thanks.

I mentioned B’s catering side jobs. The reason he knows the guy who runs catering jobs is because the stadium uses that guy to supply temp workers (bartenders, etc.) for big events - so he is in regular contact with Brian’s boss. He would use Brian in the off season.

The guy said something along the lines of, “Man, I thought your boss was kidding when he said he was going to put you on for a couple of games and then probably get rid of you.”

wow, that sounds like a VERY DIRTY move..

donaldtoo

Thanks.

Nope, unfortunately, I totally believe it. It all just sounded too smarmy and underhanded to me.
Who do these freaks think they are, though...?!?!?!
Just sick and sad people.
Even though it hurts right now, he’ll definitely be better off being outta’ that toxic pile and finding something else.
Y’all are good, decent, driven, hardworking guys, and he will find something better, as you have with your record shops...of that, I have absolutely no doubt...!!!!! :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom