Well it was an interesting morning today at school. At the end of our third hour class there was an announcement that all students and staff had to report to the gymnasium with our coats. What?!? That has never happened in my 18 years of teaching. So I check my email quick and nothing. By the time we all go to the gym the news was that there was a gas leak somewhere in our neighborhood and we were set to evacuate the building and head to our elementary school and possibly my husband's church (it is a school & town emergency shelter). Fortunately as we were about to evacuate the gas company had found the leak and we were able to stay at school It was a little scary though. Although my first thought when I heard about the gas leak was "I hope Kapono (my dog) is okay!" since we live near the school she could have been in danger too!
They did that when I was in elementary school but instead of a gas leak it was a chemical plant. We all went to the high school a few miles away.