• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Advertisement
Years ago, I worked for a hotel company that had a property in New Orleans. I recall the general manager telling colleagues that if they went out on Bourbon Street at night, to stay directly on that street only, and not even think of going down any side streets, etc. He also suggested to dress down a bit and not look like a target. Luckily, no incidents, and they all had a great time down there.
Yes, I'm sure it has varied over the years...!
We've only been there twice...once on our second wedding anni. back in Dec. of '90 when DWifey was pregnant with our oldest, and the trip in Sept. of '15 for youngests 21st birthday...!
We love it, and plan on going back, although not sure when...! :cyclops:
You know, we wandered all over that City after dark and never felt unsafe. Bourbon Street was pretty crowded so we were on the side streets a lot. It was fun!! But i wouldn't have felt as safe with a kid in tow. New Orleans feels dirty, and smelly, but it never once felt unsafe to me.

MinnieM123

Just came out of hiding for awhile from a Tornado Warning. @21stamps and @dryerlintfan last week was your turn, today was mine. NO MORE Tornado Warnings for Ohio!!! And tomorrow we're getting two inches of snow. :cautious:
Glad to hear that the tornado warning was lifted. The weather you're having is apparently all over the country now, but with different effects in different states.

Today is the Boston marathon, and those runners will have a tough time (not that running a marathon isn't tough enough to begin with! :jawdrop: ). It's 35 degrees now (at 5:30 AM) and the winds are 22-30 mph. It's raining and the rain and wind are expected to pick up even more by midday. There may be some soaking showers and even a possible thunder storm early in the afternoon. Ugh--what a lousey day for the runners. :banghead: (I also worry a bit about hypothermia for some, under these conditions.)

You know, we wandered all over that City after dark and never felt unsafe. Bourbon Street was pretty crowded so we were on the side streets a lot. It was fun!! But i wouldn't have felt as safe with a kid in tow. New Orleans feels dirty, and smelly, but it never once felt unsafe to me.
The smell of the Bourbon Street area is a delightful mix of beer and vomit. Yet, it seems to have it's own charm. My youngest went to Tulane so on her graduation our whole family was there including my Mother who was 80 at the time. She had a blast on Bourbon Street and saw some things that she never even imagined in all her 80 years. She was a hoot and her comments on things she was seeing had all of us doubled over in laughter.

ajrwdwgirl

The smell of the Bourbon Street area is a delightful mix of beer and vomit. Yet, it seems to have it's own charm. My youngest went to Tulane so on her graduation our whole family was there including my Mother who was 80 at the time. She had a blast on Bourbon Street and saw some things that she never even imagined in all her 80 years. She was a hoot and her comments on things she was seeing had all of us doubled over in laughter.
About 7 years ago there was a big youth gathering in New Orleans and I helped chaperone that trip. We took the kids down Bourbon Street during the day and we saw plenty of interesting things just during the day! And we were told that while the gathering was in town businesses were asked to keep stuff a little more family friendly, the gathering had about 45,000 people most of them them teens. So I can imagine (or maybe not) what you all saw! We did like the city overall, and the food....great stuff! Hubs and I would like to go back someday, without chaperoning 20 teenagers.

About 7 years ago there was a big youth gathering in New Orleans and I helped chaperone that trip. We took the kids down Bourbon Street during the day and we saw plenty of interesting things just during the day! And we were told that while the gathering was in town businesses were asked to keep stuff a little more family friendly, the gathering had about 45,000 people most of them them teens. So I can imagine (or maybe not) what you all saw! We did like the city overall, and the food....great stuff! Hubs and I would like to go back someday, without chaperoning 20 teenagers.
I have some fun memories there like having alligator gumbo** on the Sanchez. Swamp tours and other things. I've been a lot of places, but, nothing even remotely is like New Orleans. A must see at least once in a lifetime.
Tastes like chicken!

Last edited:
Saturday was spent outside in shorts, tank top and bare feet. Today I'm inside shivering in fleece, there's some ice on the trees, I can hear the wind and the lights flickered most of last night. Tonight's dinner groundhog general Tso:angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic: Right now we have internet but no landline but and the lights have been pretty steady for about an hour. That being said we're lucky compared to some of our neighbors who lost their power.

Saturday was spent outside in shorts, tank top and bare feet. Today I'm inside shivering in fleece, there's some ice on the trees, I can hear the wind and the lights flickered most of last night. Tonight's dinner groundhog general Tso:angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic: Right now we have internet but no landline but and the lights have been pretty steady for about an hour. That being said we're lucky compared to some of our neighbors who lost their power.
I got stuck in a downpour on my way to work. I left the house early but got to work late. Then, I got here and was working, and the power in my cubicle went out again. Ah, Mondays.

Hope your power stays on. And if you need extra groundhog, I might be able to send you a few.

Top Bottom