The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

My kids have watched the National Treasure movies. I see them as also encouraging a love of history. The second one actually discussed a Spanish slave that dd10 had read about in the beginning of the school year and discussed the city of gold as well which we had studied.
Sometimes I’m so jealous of you home school moms! You can cover so many great topics.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
At one point Ohio was proposing a law where all schools start after Labor Day, which I would like. Starting so early in August is rough because our classrooms don't have a/c.

When I was in grade school through high school, we always started the day after Labor Day. There was a country fair that went through that Labor Day weekend, and my mother always took us to it on Labor Day. It was our last day of freedom each year before going back to classes, the next morning. :cautious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
All this talk about age appropriate movies etc. reminded me that when I was young my mom wouldn't allow me to watch the A-team on tv as she had read it was too violent for youngsters. We still joke about this in our family.:joyfull:

When I was a kid, my father would not let us watch Kung Fu (David Carradine), because he said kung fu was violent. But he didn't realize that the show had so much depth and the monks taught peace and restraint first. It was a great show--watched it years after that in reruns.

MOXOMUMD

When I was in grade school through high school, we always started the day after Labor Day. There was a country fair that went through that Labor Day weekend, and my mother always took us to it on Labor Day. It was our last day of freedom each year before going back to classes, the next morning. :cautious:
Our county fair is the second week we are back to school, but no other schools are in yet. That means all our 4-H kids who have livestock and horses to show at the fair during the day are missing school. Luckily that counts as an excused absence.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh, SWG, you weren't even a twinkle in anyone's eye when this all happened. I'm trying to remember the name of the group of Church Ladies that ran an organization, that I think I remember being called the Legion of Decency. This was long before the G, PG, PG13, R and X was even thought of. Anyway the Catholic Church condemned 007 because of the violence, but, mostly the s e x. Bond girls were often scantally clad. I was basically a non-sneaker myself. But some things brought out the rebel in me. My parents weren't exactly snow white either, but, they did follow the dictates of the religion, within reason.

I recall the Legion of Decency too! :joyfull: (My brothers would giggle when they published the movie ratings, and would seek out the (coveted :rolleyes: ) "C" categories, and try to sneak into movies with that rating!) :hilarious: :hilarious:

Copied from Wikipedia on Google (below) --
  • A: Morally unobjectionable
  • B: Morally objectionable in part
  • C: Condemned by the Legion of Decency
The A rating was subsequently divided:
  • A-I: Suitable for all audiences
  • A-II: Suitable for adults; later — after the introduction of A-III — suitable for adults and adolescents
  • A-III: Suitable for adults only
  • A-IV: For adults with reservations
In 1978, the B and C ratings were combined into a new O rating for "morally offensive" films.

MySmallWorldof4

I recall the Legion of Decency too! :joyfull: (My brothers would giggle when they published the movie ratings, and would seek out the (coveted :rolleyes: ) "C" categories, and try to sneak into movies with that rating!) :hilarious::hilarious:

Copied from Wikipedia on Google (below) --
  • A: Morally unobjectionable
  • B: Morally objectionable in part
  • C: Condemned by the Legion of Decency
The A rating was subsequently divided:
  • A-I: Suitable for all audiences
  • A-II: Suitable for adults; later — after the introduction of A-III — suitable for adults and adolescents
  • A-III: Suitable for adults only
  • A-IV: For adults with reservations
In 1978, the B and C ratings were combined into a new O rating for "morally offensive" films.
I just remember movies being G, PG, and R. Then in the 80's I think they came out with PG-13.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Zac Effron doesn't hold a candle to Hugh Jackman when it comes to dancing, singing and looks and that is abundantly clear in this film. I will say that Zac is decent looking and he can act.
As for younger kids watching this movie, I think there is nothing inappropriate in it, there is very mild violence and it deals with discrimination based on appearance but, like posted before, that could be used as a good teaching moment.
Zac did grow up nicely. Zac is now Hugh 20 years later. The charm and 'the look' they both mastered.

You are obviously not a 14 year old girl. :joyfull: ( I could really use that little green grinning guy, now).
Yep. Depending on which generation you are asking. Then again me, I still have a thing for Tom Selleck. If only all men could age with that look, style and grace as he has. :inlove:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom