The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

I remember when my son was an infant, I felt like there was a whooping cough commercial every 5 minutes on TV! It would frighten me every time he coughed.
I was terrified! He was so little and the doctor didn't even want me to bring him in so he could listen to his lungs. Meanwhile, we hear he's been exposed to whooping cough and everything we can find on the internet says that infants who haven't been immunized usually have to be hospitalized and are at a high risk of death. That's why DH kept calling back. There's a huge push over here to not give antibiotics because they don't want them to stop working, and I get that, but why can't you at least LOOK at my infant....look at his lungs, listen to his cough for real, test him for whooping cough...just check him out! But "No, we don't need to see him...unless your MIL has a confirmed case, he's probably fine." And we were waiting for her test results, so we didn't KNOW if she had a confirmed case, but her SIL did and she had been there visiting the week before. We'll never know whether what the kids had was whooping cough or not...they did cough for a long time, even with antibiotics, and we know there was exposure. My MIL's results came back inconclusive. But really...you don't play around with something like whooping cough in a newborn!!

21stamps

I was terrified! He was so little and the doctor didn't even want me to bring him in so he could listen to his lungs. Meanwhile, we hear he's been exposed to whooping cough and everything we can find on the internet says that infants who haven't been immunized usually have to be hospitalized and are at a high risk of death. That's why DH kept calling back. There's a huge push over here to not give antibiotics because they don't want them to stop working, and I get that, but why can't you at least LOOK at my infant....look at his lungs, listen to his cough for real, test him for whooping cough...just check him out! But "No, we don't need to see him...unless your MIL has a confirmed case, he's probably fine." And we were waiting for her test results, so we didn't KNOW if she had a confirmed case, but her SIL did and she had been there visiting the week before. We'll never know whether what the kids had was whooping cough or not...they did cough for a long time, even with antibiotics, and we know there was exposure. My MIL's results came back inconclusive. But really...you don't play around with something like whooping cough in a newborn!!
Wow. I’m sorry that you went thru that! I can only imagine how frightening and frustrating it would be.

Songbird76

Whooping cough isn't gone. My niece caught it in the hospital. Touch and go if she would live or die.

Disneyland had an outbreak of measles hitting infants to elderly. At that time measles were also in 10 states.

Polio cases are more in the mid eastern countries. Need for that vaccinations would depend if travel to and from there or from there to here.
That's exactly it...people THOUGHT whooping cough and measles were gone, and then people started distrusting vaccines, so they skipped those, and then they came back at a higher rate.

Songbird76

Wow. I’m sorry that you went thru that! I can only imagine how frightening and frustrating it would be.
It really was. I would switch doctors, but there is a shortage here and a lot of doctors won't take on new patients. We chose this doctor because at the time, he was one of the few accepting new patients and his practice was only a 10 minute walk from our house. I could get there without public transportation and my husband didn't have to take time off work to take me to the doctor. But there have been several times that I have wished we would have switched. That was one of them. Another was when I had a sinus infection and bronchitis and he wouldn't give me anything because he insisted it would go away on its own and I had it for 4 months before he pawned me off on an intern the 6th time I came in with the same thing, and the intern gave me antibiotics and it went away in just over a week. He really is not the most empathetic/ compassionate doctor.

MySmallWorldof4

Another good movie with the same premise is the first "National Treasure" with Nicolas Cage.

For more adultish.. the Da Vinci's code (the first). The other ones are way too moronic and filled with cliches for the sake of "action".
My kids have watched the National Treasure movies. I see them as also encouraging a love of history. The second one actually discussed a Spanish slave that dd10 had read about in the beginning of the school year and discussed the city of gold as well which we had studied.

21stamps

It really was. I would switch doctors, but there is a shortage here and a lot of doctors won't take on new patients. We chose this doctor because at the time, he was one of the few accepting new patients and his practice was only a 10 minute walk from our house. I could get there without public transportation and my husband didn't have to take time off work to take me to the doctor. But there have been several times that I have wished we would have switched. That was one of them. Another was when I had a sinus infection and bronchitis and he wouldn't give me anything because he insisted it would go away on its own and I had it for 4 months before he pawned me off on an intern the 6th time I came in with the same thing, and the intern gave me antibiotics and it went away in just over a week. He really is not the most empathetic/ compassionate doctor.

OMG. He sounds TERRIBLE!
I’ve only had bronchitis once, maybe 6 years ago.. my doctor gave me a shot of penicillin asap. Uncomfortable shot, but so worth it.
I can’t imagine having a doctor who just shrugs everything off!

MySmallWorldof4

Awww...really cute, but I think that would have freaked me out if a character didn't want to give my kid back!! When we went in 2010, DS was 2 and didn't want to get in any of the pictures without daddy. As much as he LOVED Princess Jasmine (she was his favorite and he even had a Princess Jasmine Barbie doll because he and DD fought over the one until we bought him his own), he would not take a picture with her without daddy. I can only imagine how I would feel if someone would not relinquish my child!! What did you do?
Oh it was in jest. He wasn’t like holding him preventing me from taking him. It was more hand gestures after I got him.

MySmallWorldof4

It's such a wide spectrum of parenting styles in the world today. I think it goes back to having an old soul child for me. When she was little she had no princess interest but could quote Indiana Jones movies as a kindergartener. The only rules I've ever really set was no "making babies" scenes in anything until your older. I have a sister that shielded her kid from everything and he grew up very naive about the world. She gives me grief because my daughter was four when she went to her first concert. We're total opposite parents even though we're family.
Same sister who gave you a dollar store bowl for Christmas!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom