The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

ParentsOf4

So I dont think they have much overhead if they dont sell rooms, they constantly close down blocks to inflate occupancy levels higher. If @ParentsOf4 statistics are correct. Then theres rumors that they count DVC in their stats too.
Now they are way more interested in converting everything in to DVC to keep customers tied. Even if they end going more to UNI and other parks than Disney.
A few clarifications ...

WDW does not "constantly close down blocks of rooms to inflate occupancy". About 4% of rooms are out of service at any time. This appears to be primarily for maintenance and updates.

The number of available room nights does fluctuate beyond that. This appears to be related to room conversions into DVC (e.g. at the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge).

Disney might seasonally make blocks of rooms unavailable for booking. At many hotels outside of Disney, this is done to reduce costs. (For example, those rooms don't need to be cleaned, air conditioned, etc.) Typically, a room is excluded from available inventory metrics only if it will be out of service for more than 6 months. Thus, these seasonal closings appear to have no effect on what Disney reports on its financial statements for available room nights, even though it could impact the rooms available for you and I to book.

DVC is counted as part of hotel statistics as "2-bedroom villa equivalents". This has two effects.

First, it inflates hotel occupancy slightly because DVC has a very high occupancy rate. But only a few percent because DVC still makes up less than 20% of WDW's available rooms.

Second, it inflates Per Room Guest Spending (PRGS). This is where Disney is playing with the numbers. A Studio and a 1- bedroom villa are counted as a single "room" for PRGS even though they may be occupied by 2 different families.

Last edited:

Songbird76

Why?
fans demanded more and she HAD to do more.
I dont think she was that happy when other people managed her creation (the cursed child play for example).
And its not like Star Wars or Star Trek suddenly "stopped" returning with newer stuff.
Actually, she wrote the story of the cursed child and picked the guy she wanted to do the screen play for it. So she was very involved in it. But yes, people have been begging for YEARS for her to do more HP.

Songbird76

Our lives mirror each other so much. I lived in a dorm, and came back home, and the night time curfew was back in force for the summer.....drove me crazy.....and I got married to rebel. It worked out great, since we were friends and then dated. Mom hated my selection, he wasn't rich enough, or good looking enough..She had her standards. Hubby and I have so much in common....we both need our space, to this day...and afford each other our "space". It took awhile after he retired, but we have worked it out.
I just never went back home for a summer. I got a job as a custodian in the dorms after my freshman year, and then every year after that I worked as a conference assistant (basically a receptionist in the dorms) for all the conferences and camps that came in the summer. Kind of like working at a hotel front desk. I loved it, I was good at it, and I didn't have to go home and try to find a job there, which was really hard. So I never had to go back to the strict rules, but had I gone home, it would have been the same as you.

Songbird76

Oh, I forgot to say, my brother could stay out until 2A.M. during high school. But he got a 15 year old girl pregnant, and married her. They divorced, as they became swingers. But, I ended up being the black sheep in the family. Mom had a thing for her only boy. He died early.
My mom didn't let my brother stay out quite that late, but I do remember one time that my brother walked out the door to go to a friends house...I was probably about 16 and it was probably around 7 p.m. in the summer. 5 minutes after my brother left, my friend called me and asked if I wanted to go for a walk. I said sure, and we lived on the same street, so we always just met somewhere in the middle...she walked toward me and I walked toward her. I head for the door, and mom says " Where do you think you're going?" And I said for a walk. She said no way, it's going to be dark in an hour or 2. I was like ??? I have plenty of time to go for a walk before it gets dark, and my brother just left....why does HE get to go and I don't? And she said "Because he's a boy!!" Right...because boys can't get into any trouble in the dark and girls can.

Songbird76

That is too bad about the night time shows. Although I don't think you missed much Jungle Book wise, but that is just my opinion. Would your husband had been open to splitting up for the night, so you and the kids (if they wanted) could see the show at night and he could relaxed at the hotel?
Nope, because that was kind of his excuse...the kids need to go to bed. They are tired. The first 4 days, he completely ignored my planning. I had scheduled in rest time every afternoon so we could do the night shows and they still got their rest. Then he started complaining about how everyone was so tired....I was like YOU'RE the one who keeps planning stuff through the rest time I scheduled. So after that, we did go back to rest every afternoon, but then he let the kids decide what they wanted to do and they didn't really know about the shows and I kept thinking "Oh well, we have another day here...we'll go to the show then." I did eventually get to see everything except Star Wars fireworks and Jungle book, so it all worked out, but I had to finally just say no, I am NOT missing this AGAIN.

Goofyernmost

We have never done less than 14 nights. Anything less seems like a waste. Admittedly we do the other parks in that timescale as well as a day spent at the mall/outlet shops.
That would work. I sometimes stay in the area longer as well, but, my limit for WDW is 5 days total. I'll also take into account that I live just 600 miles from there as well. An easy days drive.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Well, that's the thing...my mom was super controlling with me. She let my brother do his own thing most of the time, but she was very strict with me and I never rebelled. I was the "prude" in high school because I didn't drink, I didn't date, I didn't go out past dark, never snuck out of my house...I was just the typical good girl. And I kept thinking "It's only for a few years" because as soon as I got to college, I'd be living on my own and I wouldn't HAVE to follow the ridiculous rules about being home by the time it got dark. So when she started saying she wanted to move to the college town with me so I could live with her, I told her she could move, but I wasn't going to live with her. She insisted that then there was no reason for her to move. Well....fine....then don't. But she couldn't understand why I didn't want to save money and I told her I wanted the experience of living in the dorm, that they did activities and things that you couldn't be part of if you didn't live there, and that you always knew what was going on on campus because it was posted in the dorms. I could hardly tell her that the reason I didn't want to live with her was because I wanted to actually go out on a date with a boy at some time in my life, and that I'd LIKE to see what it looks like after dark without my 6'4" brother hovering over me, and that I didn't want to get the 3rd degree if I had some eyeliner on. I wanted to actually have a LIFE. I never went to parties, I never drank in college, I didn't experiment the way a lot of kids do, but I just wanted to be able to be a normal person and not be mortified when someone asked if I wanted to go here or there because it was "past my curfew". I didn't want to HAVE a curfew. I wanted it to be MY decision when I wanted to come home. But I couldn't explain that to my mother without her thinking I was the most promiscuous scarlet woman to ever live. So I just had to say flat out, no, I won't live with you even if you do move there and leave it at that. I think she was angry about that until the day she died...that was the worst possible thing I could do to her. I think she was honestly just scared that something would happen to me if she didn't have these crazy rules (nothing happens in daylight, right?) and she wasn't ready to be alone, so she just clung to me and wouldn't let me grow up. I had to just put my foot down and say "I'm legally an adult now. Please let me be one."
My mom's mother was controlling that way. Her mother insisted her older sister go to a specific college and commute. Her older sister wanted to get out of that house, but my grandmother vetoed all of the options her sister came up with. My grandmother was determined to keep her in the house. So her sister got married as a way of getting out. It had to be because she just wanted out because she eventually left her husband. Just decided she didn't love him anymore, left him to raise their daughters.

My grandmother didn't approve of my dad at all. I've no idea why; he was a decent guy, going to law school, and my dad's father was my mom's father's best friend. The only thing I can figure is that no one would have ever been good enough for her kids. And also my dad is a smart a** and was evidently worse when he was young. Anyway, my grandmother pulled the money for my mom's college education, and like her sister, my mom dropped out. She married my dad when she was 19, and her parents refused to attend her wedding and basically cut her off. Being a similar age that my mom, I realize even more how truly horrible that was of her parents. And yes, she was much easier on my mom's brother.

But think about it this way: you've learned a lot about what not to do with your kids. My mom is very easygoing, ans I think part of that was her determination to not be her mother. I'm sure the same will be true of you. :)

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
We have never done less than 14 nights. Anything less seems like a waste. Admittedly we do the other parks in that timescale as well as a day spent at the mall/outlet shops.
With how far you're coming, that makes sense. We have the same rule for Hawaii (which is 6,000 miles from us); we go at least two weeks to make the insanely long flight worth it.

betty rose

I'm finding the blurrr between the young and aging clothing. I am small and thin. I don't fit into womans clothing so I fit more into the Miss clothing or the young clothing. Still I am careful to dress appropriately. The paper thin clothes I am not going to wear. Seriously I have grown children. Yet I'm not a Grandma, I like cute things. It is a real hunt to find one layer clothing that actually fits my body frame. I look at some ladies my age and what they wear and I just laugh. Seriously trying to relive your youth is just visually wrong.

Can I tell you how long it took me to find 2 swim suits this year in my size that was appropriate? Sure I could find ones that fit but so not appropriate for my age. Frustrating.
I agree, finding clothes is one of the most frustrating shopping experience's anymore!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Nope, because that was kind of his excuse...the kids need to go to bed. They are tired. The first 4 days, he completely ignored my planning. I had scheduled in rest time every afternoon so we could do the night shows and they still got their rest. Then he started complaining about how everyone was so tired....I was like YOU'RE the one who keeps planning stuff through the rest time I scheduled. So after that, we did go back to rest every afternoon, but then he let the kids decide what they wanted to do and they didn't really know about the shows and I kept thinking "Oh well, we have another day here...we'll go to the show then." I did eventually get to see everything except Star Wars fireworks and Jungle book, so it all worked out, but I had to finally just say no, I am NOT missing this AGAIN.

Ugh. I'm sorry, how frustrating. Odd what positions kids get placed in. Mine when young always got worn playing at pool. Plus if you want a relaxing resort/pool vacation there are much cheaper and more luxurious places to do that around the country/world for less.

It reminds me of the last family trip to WDW that we allowed my Dad to go with us. Mom could but not him this was a Christmas New Year vacation, beyond expensive and need of some plans. But my Dad was the master at changing plans my entire life. When he was done we were all done. My Dad when tired or had enough of anything was great at putting us to bed saying WE were tired. We were too old to be told to go to bed but we all knew there would be heck to pay if we all rebelled. On the last trip my Dad was allowed to go to WDW he was a pain in the butt. He constantly after a few hours in the park upset the apple cart by asking my kids if they wanted to go swimming now? You don't want to stay here anymore, its crowded. You already saw the fireworks, we have fireworks at home right? He was only with us one of the two weeks and we actually extended the trip by 4 days while down there that trip just to have time to get past how many times he upset our plans. So much so we never allowed him to go back again. But that was my Dad in life always. His way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom