The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Except until 5 years ago I came from Vermont for my visits which was 1500 miles away. I still couldn't handle it for more then 5 days no matter how long I stayed in the area. I was OK because I have the wandering around gene and as long as I could see other things, a long vacation was fine for me. Two weeks on-site at Disney would have me voting for Frump, that's just how crazy I would have become. I just barely made it 7 days the one time I did stay on-site and three of those days I wandered offsite and did some extra travel to the East and West Coast.

There are plenty of fun things to do in Florida, not just Disney. Years ago, I also checked out Cypress Gardens (no longer there), the Kennedy Space Center, the Florida Citrus Tower (in Clermont--close to Disney), an old aviation museum, Gator World, and rode an airboat over in the Kissimmee area. :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Sadly, no. We just replaced the battery last year, and we tried jump starting it, and it did not work. It will have to be towed to the dealer tomorrow. The think it's the starter. Or it could possibly be that, since it was sitting there for two weeks, something got up there and ate something. I'm hoping if it's anything that will take more than just a day that they can give me a loaner vehicle. They're nice that way since we never take our vehicles anywhere else for service but to them.

Might be condensation, as you said, or it might be the starter. I remember 2 years ago with our older car, the starter went--we were hoping it was the battery, but it was the starter.

Goofyernmost

There are plenty of fun things to do in Florida, not just Disney. Years ago, I also checked out Cypress Gardens (no longer there), the Kennedy Space Center, the Florida Citrus Tower (in Clermont--close to Disney), an old aviation museum, Gator World, and rode an airboat over in the Kissimmee area. :joyfull:
True, more then once I have gone down there and used Kissimmee as a central staging area. I would go to WDW, Universal, Sea World, Kennedy Space Ctr, Cypress Gardens, St. Petersburg Beach, Sunken Gardens in Tampa, Boc Gardens, Citrus tower, Silver Springs, Cocoa Beach, taken a helicopter ride over the theme parks (from 192) and even a two day jaunt to Key West. Didn't do all of the in one trip, of course, but, over the years I got to know Florida quite well. Never went to Gator World though. I suppose I should add that to my non-existent Bucket list.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
True, more then once I have gone down there and used Kissimmee as a central staging area. I would go to WDW, Universal, Sea World, Kennedy Space Ctr, Cypress Gardens, St. Petersburg Beach, Sunken Gardens in Tampa, Boc Gardens, Citrus tower, Silver Springs, Cocoa Beach, taken a helicopter ride over the theme parks (from 192) and even a two day jaunt to Key West. Didn't do all of the in one trip, of course, but, over the years I got to know Florida quite well. Never went to Gator World though. I suppose I should add that to my non-existent Bucket list.
[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, I forgot--Sea World! (Haven't been there in at least 15 years though.) I used to also like I-Drive (International Drive) up in Orlando, about 20 years ago. It was a beautiful stretch of road with so many pretty palm trees--it felt so "Florida" to me, driving up and down that road. This was also before they added some tacky attractions up there. I also remember a lovely shopping area called Mercado on I-Drive. After some years, though, they lost some of the nicer shops there and it ended up being a mish-mosh of small, cheaper stores--nothing that interested me. I recall at some point (maybe around 2006 or so), some developer was going to try to bring it back to its glory by sinking a lot of money into it, but not sure if that fell through.

betty rose

Ugh. I'm sorry, how frustrating. Odd what positions kids get placed in. Mine when young always got worn playing at pool. Plus if you want a relaxing resort/pool vacation there are much cheaper and more luxurious places to do that around the country/world for less.

It reminds me of the last family trip to WDW that we allowed my Dad to go with us. Mom could but not him this was a Christmas New Year vacation, beyond expensive and need of some plans. But my Dad was the master at changing plans my entire life. When he was done we were all done. My Dad when tired or had enough of anything was great at putting us to bed saying WE were tired. We were too old to be told to go to bed but we all knew there would be heck to pay if we all rebelled. On the last trip my Dad was allowed to go to WDW he was a pain in the butt. He constantly after a few hours in the park upset the apple cart by asking my kids if they wanted to go swimming now? You don't want to stay here anymore, its crowded. You already saw the fireworks, we have fireworks at home right? He was only with us one of the two weeks and we actually extended the trip by 4 days while down there that trip just to have time to get past how many times he upset our plans. So much so we never allowed him to go back again. But that was my Dad in life always. His way.
We tell the kids we are good for four hours at their speed. We go off and do other things, nap back to the room watch cartoons. And have an early dinner for hubby and me. Or just sit in a lobby listening to music. The kids go for the hours they want to, and we get the rest we need.

betty rose

Ohh sweet kitty! Our cat sometimes does the "look you left me, what do you expect me to do? Run into your arms and let you love on me?" Or the opposite-she won't leave us alone at all the whole night! Cats do have a mind of their own. :rolleyes:
I love cats, and dogs....because they are so different. Dogs love their owner's unconditionally. Cat's take their owner's in their own terms. They represent people, in many ways.

betty rose

Okay, so as some of you know, I'm taking Phil to Key West for his birthday and that satisfies the "We have to go somewhere else before we go back to WDW" requirement, and although he has continued to say no, no, no way in hell, I finally made some progress and got him to agree to a short trip for Food & Wine. I know, ohh the torture,right?Anyway, I'm going to post some details in a pre-trip report, but looks like this Fall is going to be a Key West-a-palooza!! Real Key West in September followed by Disney Key West in November! Whoo-hoo!!! :)
I'm so happy for you, and Phil. Life is so much better when people compromise! xoxo to you and Phil...

betty rose

Well, you're not wrong on many of your points, but let's talk about why Disney would not want to decrease their prices. And it's not so much a marketing issue as it is an operational issue.

Let's take the mouse ears, for instance. If Disney could sell an unlimited amount of mouse ears, then yes, they would want to try to sell as many as possible, thereby lowering the price. The thing is that Disney cannot sell an unlimited amount of mouse ears. For one, their shops can only sell so much merchandise. If they lowered price, likely their demand would increase. That would make their shops, and therefore, their checkout lines, even more crowded. How many people, then, would decide to give up on their purchases and walk away because either the shop or the checkout line is too crowded? And then if they run out of an item too quickly, or many items too quickly, without the ability to restock, then customers walk away not finding what they wanted, which isn't good for business either. Also, there's the overhead costs to think about. Their factories can only make so many mouse ears at a time. They get another factory to make more, but that would increase their manufacturing overhead. They might not find it worth it to increase their overhead costs just to sell more mouse ears. They have to find a balance in their pricing where they are not selling too few and not too many. Unfortunately, that means the price is high, higher than many are willing to pay.

When they do find that they have rooms that aren't selling or resorts that aren't filling, that's when they run promotions, similar to the ones you found through the European site. They get the higher-paying crowd, but then they can lower prices to fill those rooms. But if for the most part, they're filling those rooms, then why would they lower their prices? It's also not necessarily a bad thing for them to not fill every single room. They can take rooms out of the rotation if need be for maintenance and service, and they also have a few left in case of last-minute trips and for anyone needs/wants to extend their vacation. We had to extend ours a few years back because of a hurricane...here. :rolleyes: We also had friends whose daughter got sick their first few days in Disney, so they decided to extend the trip. Same thing with restaurants: they are mostly full, but they also have walk-up space leftover, or same day reservations booked through the app or found by guest services.

Basically, we like to think that WDW is our personal playground that caters to us, but in the end, they are a business. They need to make money. We also need to keep in mind that Disney does not have unlimited capacity and unlimited amounts to sell. Would decreasing prices increase demand? Absolutely. Would Disney be able to sell more and make more money by decreasing their prices? Maybe...but there's a good possibility the answer would be no.
Interesting post. I need to think about this....

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Maybe, but it sure doesn't make it any easier on my wallet! :) :in pain:
I tend to wait for my friend who has a 40% CM discount for some higher-priced items. My AP discount also helps somewhat. I was pretty desperate for new purses this trip, though, and decided to bite the bullet on them and just use my AP discount. I actually bought the same purse I've had for a few years (and basically loved to death). Couldn't find another purse I liked better than that one. The price went up $10, but I was pleasantly surprised when I got home to find it's actually bigger than my old one.

betty rose

Okay, so as some of you know, I'm taking Phil to Key West for his birthday and that satisfies the "We have to go somewhere else before we go back to WDW" requirement, and although he has continued to say no, no, no way in hell, I finally made some progress and got him to agree to a short trip for Food & Wine. I know, ohh the torture,right?Anyway, I'm going to post some details in a pre-trip report, but looks like this Fall is going to be a Key West-a-palooza!! Real Key West in September followed by Disney Key West in November! Whoo-hoo!!! :)
Oh, I wish you and Phil were going in October. I would love to catch up with your fun and drinks!

BuddyThomas

I'm so happy for you, and Phil. Life is so much better when people compromise! xoxo to you and Phil...
Thanks so much! He actually didn't compromise that much though. I'm
only getting to go for four days and three nights. But beggars can't be choosers....or something. And that's okay cause I'm just gonna use that as a excuse to say I have to go again next year! He better hope I don't find a bounce back offer in that room. ;)

betty rose

And now my car won't start. The engine cranks, but won't turn over.

*sigh* This is why I was thinking maybe I need to get a new car after graduation.
It's always something. We had to have an old stump taken out today. We see another tree that needs to come down. We were told it would only get 8 ft. tall, it's over 40 ft. and still growing. Why do nursery's tell you one thing, and you spend a premium for a special Alberta Spruce, and get a regular spruce, that can get to 100 ft?

BuddyThomas

It's always something. We had to have an old stump taken out today. We see another tree that needs to come down. We were told it would only get 8 ft. tall, it's over 40 ft. and still growing. Why do nursery's tell you one thing, and you spend a premium for a special Alberta Spruce, and get a regular spruce, that can get to 100 ft?
Maybe it can be the Rockefeller Christmas tree!

betty rose

[/QUOTE]
We have done those as well. Those were very fun, and less expensive trips. I'm thinking a week on the beach, under a canopy would be wonderful. I love the salt air, (good for allergies), and listening to the waves, good for the soul. Maybe we will do a very simple 50th. It is sounding better and better. Is in out burger? or crystal burger still in Florida? I loved those places so many years ago....

Goofyernmost

We have done those as well. Those were very fun, and less expensive trips. I'm thinking a week on the beach, under a canopy would be wonderful. I love the salt air, (good for allergies), and listening to the waves, good for the soul. Maybe we will do a very simple 50th. It is sounding better and better. Is in out burger? or crystal burger still in Florida? I loved those places so many years ago....
It's possible that they might be there, however, I cannot honestly say that I remember seeing any, but, I really wasn't looking either so it means nothing at all.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

Awesomeness! I love that you are keeping the Key West theme for both Florida trips. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom