The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
A few clarifications ...

WDW does not "constantly close down blocks of rooms to inflate occupancy". About 4% of rooms are out of service at any time. This appears to be primarily for maintenance and updates.

The number of available room nights does fluctuate beyond that. This appears to be related to room conversions into DVC (e.g. at the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge).

Disney might seasonally make blocks of rooms unavailable for booking. At many hotels outside of Disney, this is done to reduce costs. (For example, those rooms don't need to be cleaned, air conditioned, etc.) Typically, a room is excluded from available inventory metrics only if it will be out of service for more than 6 months. Thus, these seasonal closings appear to have no effect on what Disney reports on its financial statements for available room nights, even though it could impact the rooms available for you and I to book.

DVC is counted as part of hotel statistics as "2-bedroom villa equivalents". This has two effects.

First, it inflates hotel occupancy slightly because DVC has a very high occupancy rate. But only a few percent because DVC still makes up less than 20% of WDW's available rooms.

Second, it inflates Per Room Guest Spending (PRGS). This is where Disney is playing with the numbers. A Studio and a 1- bedroom villa are counted as a single "room" for PRGS even though they may be occupied by 2 different families.

As always, thank you. :inlove:

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
It's actually not a very bright Marketing strategy. Hubby and I were talking about this the other day. DD had her heart SET on buying a pair of minnie ears...it was the one thing she wanted as a souvenir. We had given the kids each a certain amount of their money to take with them, and they got some from my in-laws and a family friend, too. So we went in search of the perfect pair...but even the simplest, cheapest ones are over $20. The ones she wanted were $27, and she didn't feel that was a good deal...not worth what you got, even in Disney. Whereas, if they were to cut the price in half, they'd probably sell 3 times as many and end up making MORE money than they make now at the exorbitant prices. It just makes so much more sense. Same with resorts and restaurants...there are some that end up having a lot of empty rooms/tables because people just can't afford the prices. We would NEVER have been able to afford the prices for our vacation if it wasn't for the substantial discounts through the European site. But because we got a cheaper room, we were able to stay longer, which is more money in their pockets because that's longer that we're in the parks, buying things. We had the dining plan, but we didn't end up using all of our credits (so much food!) and there were some things that weren't included in the plan, so we paid for those out of pocket...that's all stuff that we wouldn't have been able to do because of the massive price tag Disney charges. If they would make their prices reasonable across the board, they'd sell MUCH more, and end up making even more profit. By trying to milk the consumer, they just make it out of the price range of the average consumer, who then goes and spends their dollars elsewhere. They could be making so much more than they do now.
Well, you're not wrong on many of your points, but let's talk about why Disney would not want to decrease their prices. And it's not so much a marketing issue as it is an operational issue.

Let's take the mouse ears, for instance. If Disney could sell an unlimited amount of mouse ears, then yes, they would want to try to sell as many as possible, thereby lowering the price. The thing is that Disney cannot sell an unlimited amount of mouse ears. For one, their shops can only sell so much merchandise. If they lowered price, likely their demand would increase. That would make their shops, and therefore, their checkout lines, even more crowded. How many people, then, would decide to give up on their purchases and walk away because either the shop or the checkout line is too crowded? And then if they run out of an item too quickly, or many items too quickly, without the ability to restock, then customers walk away not finding what they wanted, which isn't good for business either. Also, there's the overhead costs to think about. Their factories can only make so many mouse ears at a time. They get another factory to make more, but that would increase their manufacturing overhead. They might not find it worth it to increase their overhead costs just to sell more mouse ears. They have to find a balance in their pricing where they are not selling too few and not too many. Unfortunately, that means the price is high, higher than many are willing to pay.

When they do find that they have rooms that aren't selling or resorts that aren't filling, that's when they run promotions, similar to the ones you found through the European site. They get the higher-paying crowd, but then they can lower prices to fill those rooms. But if for the most part, they're filling those rooms, then why would they lower their prices? It's also not necessarily a bad thing for them to not fill every single room. They can take rooms out of the rotation if need be for maintenance and service, and they also have a few left in case of last-minute trips and for anyone needs/wants to extend their vacation. We had to extend ours a few years back because of a hurricane...here. :rolleyes: We also had friends whose daughter got sick their first few days in Disney, so they decided to extend the trip. Same thing with restaurants: they are mostly full, but they also have walk-up space leftover, or same day reservations booked through the app or found by guest services.

Basically, we like to think that WDW is our personal playground that caters to us, but in the end, they are a business. They need to make money. We also need to keep in mind that Disney does not have unlimited capacity and unlimited amounts to sell. Would decreasing prices increase demand? Absolutely. Would Disney be able to sell more and make more money by decreasing their prices? Maybe...but there's a good possibility the answer would be no.

93boomer

Premium Member
She came right out when we got home. Our neighbor took care of her, and she likes our neighbor, so she wasn't completely distressed, nor was she giving me the angry meow she sometimes does. We cuddled, she purred, and then I got ready for bed and was laying in bed. For some reason, she refused to come up and was laying on my floor staring at me, like, "You left me, and I am most displeased." Now she's tucked under my arm and purring.
Ohh sweet kitty! Our cat sometimes does the "look you left me, what do you expect me to do? Run into your arms and let you love on me?" Or the opposite-she won't leave us alone at all the whole night! Cats do have a mind of their own. :rolleyes:

BuddyThomas

Okay, so as some of you know, I'm taking Phil to Key West for his birthday and that satisfies the "We have to go somewhere else before we go back to WDW" requirement, and although he has continued to say no, no, no way in hell, I finally made some progress and got him to agree to a short trip for Food & Wine. I know, ohh the torture,right?Anyway, I'm going to post some details in a pre-trip report, but looks like this Fall is going to be a Key West-a-palooza!! Real Key West in September followed by Disney Key West in November! Whoo-hoo!!! :)

betty rose

My mom didn't let my brother stay out quite that late, but I do remember one time that my brother walked out the door to go to a friends house...I was probably about 16 and it was probably around 7 p.m. in the summer. 5 minutes after my brother left, my friend called me and asked if I wanted to go for a walk. I said sure, and we lived on the same street, so we always just met somewhere in the middle...she walked toward me and I walked toward her. I head for the door, and mom says " Where do you think you're going?" And I said for a walk. She said no way, it's going to be dark in an hour or 2. I was like ??? I have plenty of time to go for a walk before it gets dark, and my brother just left....why does HE get to go and I don't? And she said "Because he's a boy!!" Right...because boys can't get into any trouble in the dark and girls can.
My brother dragged raced, and wrecked a really nice car. He got a pass for that.

Cesar R M

Actually, she wrote the story of the cursed child and picked the guy she wanted to do the screen play for it. So she was very involved in it. But yes, people have been begging for YEARS for her to do more HP.
she wrote the play?
I keep reading that someone else wrote the play, and now she finally wrote an official book recently based on the play..

Cesar R M

That would work. I sometimes stay in the area longer as well, but, my limit for WDW is 5 days total. I'll also take into account that I live just 600 miles from there as well. An easy days drive.
Well, technically you can go anytime.
but for us, who are more than 1,000km away. We need to extensively plan.. and make room, and save money. So yeah.. way too different.

Cesar R M

Well, you're not wrong on many of your points, but let's talk about why Disney would not want to decrease their prices. And it's not so much a marketing issue as it is an operational issue.

Let's take the mouse ears, for instance. If Disney could sell an unlimited amount of mouse ears, then yes, they would want to try to sell as many as possible, thereby lowering the price. The thing is that Disney cannot sell an unlimited amount of mouse ears. For one, their shops can only sell so much merchandise. If they lowered price, likely their demand would increase. That would make their shops, and therefore, their checkout lines, even more crowded. How many people, then, would decide to give up on their purchases and walk away because either the shop or the checkout line is too crowded? And then if they run out of an item too quickly, or many items too quickly, without the ability to restock, then customers walk away not finding what they wanted, which isn't good for business either. Also, there's the overhead costs to think about. Their factories can only make so many mouse ears at a time. They get another factory to make more, but that would increase their manufacturing overhead. They might not find it worth it to increase their overhead costs just to sell more mouse ears. They have to find a balance in their pricing where they are not selling too few and not too many. Unfortunately, that means the price is high, higher than many are willing to pay.

When they do find that they have rooms that aren't selling or resorts that aren't filling, that's when they run promotions, similar to the ones you found through the European site. They get the higher-paying crowd, but then they can lower prices to fill those rooms. But if for the most part, they're filling those rooms, then why would they lower their prices? It's also not necessarily a bad thing for them to not fill every single room. They can take rooms out of the rotation if need be for maintenance and service, and they also have a few left in case of last-minute trips and for anyone needs/wants to extend their vacation. We had to extend ours a few years back because of a hurricane...here. :rolleyes: We also had friends whose daughter got sick their first few days in Disney, so they decided to extend the trip. Same thing with restaurants: they are mostly full, but they also have walk-up space leftover, or same day reservations booked through the app or found by guest services.

Basically, we like to think that WDW is our personal playground that caters to us, but in the end, they are a business. They need to make money. We also need to keep in mind that Disney does not have unlimited capacity and unlimited amounts to sell. Would decreasing prices increase demand? Absolutely. Would Disney be able to sell more and make more money by decreasing their prices? Maybe...but there's a good possibility the answer would be no.
I dont think the factory or producing overheads counts.
If these same hears are available even in walmart at 10% of the original price.. they are charging for the location and the "bonus" for being in Disney. nothing else.

anyway.. cant believe you had to retort to that annoying "but XXX is a business!".

BAChicagoGal

I bought myself a portable phone charger today. I just might run out of battery power in the park, if I decide to take a lot of pics with my cell phone. Normally, I pass my camera to the photos people to take my pic, even when I have memory maker. However, this trip I am going to pass them my iPhone instead. That way, it's going to be a whole lot easier to send pics home, or post a pic on a website. Besides cameras are tricky. Not everyone knows how to use another person's camera. However, phone cameras are becoming easier and easier for folks to use.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
anyway.. cant believe you had to retort to that annoying "but XXX is a business!".
I'm a business major. It comes with the territory. Also, it's the cold, hard truth.

I dont think the factory or producing overheads counts.
If these same hears are available even in walmart at 10% of the original price.. they are charging for the location and the "bonus" for being in Disney. nothing else.
Walmarts are much bigger than Disney shops are and, for the most part, aren't doing any unique merchandise. The majority of their stuff they are producing themselves. Whereas if Disney is producing at their maximum and lowering prices would increase demand, then yes, production costs would increase.

It is also worth-noting that Disney's products purchased on property are pretty on-par with other "specialty" merchandise purchased at venues. For instance, I use prices I pay for food and merchandise at Orioles games to Disney's prices. Disney's food prices are slightly higher, but the quality of their food is overall better (in spite of Camden Yards having pretty decent food). Disney's merchandise is actually cheaper. Food prices at Hershey Park (which has cheaper tickets) were similar to Disney's prices.

Believe me, I believe Disney is far from perfect, but their pricing, from a business perspective, makes sense.

Goofyernmost

Well, technically you can go anytime.
but for us, who are more than 1,000km away. We need to extensively plan.. and make room, and save money. So yeah.. way too different.
Except until 5 years ago I came from Vermont for my visits which was 1500 miles away. I still couldn't handle it for more then 5 days no matter how long I stayed in the area. I was OK because I have the wandering around gene and as long as I could see other things, a long vacation was fine for me. Two weeks on-site at Disney would have me voting for Frump, that's just how crazy I would have become. I just barely made it 7 days the one time I did stay on-site and three of those days I wandered offsite and did some extra travel to the East and West Coast.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Maybe it's just the battery?
Sadly, no. We just replaced the battery last year, and we tried jump starting it, and it did not work. It will have to be towed to the dealer tomorrow. The think it's the starter. Or it could possibly be that, since it was sitting there for two weeks, something got up there and ate something. I'm hoping if it's anything that will take more than just a day that they can give me a loaner vehicle. They're nice that way since we never take our vehicles anywhere else for service but to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom