Testing Complete in 2012?

ChuruyaSan

Meanwhile, the topic makes me wonder what poor Figment has to do to get some love...

Another thread said Crayola should be a sponsor. Maybe they should do the old ride, but then make it interactive (Like the end of Spaceship Earth). It brings back the Dreamfinder and Figment in a new story, that keeps the old ride's soundtrack, but here's the catch! Figment accidently touched a button on a thing he wasn't supposed to, The Imagi-Maker, which controls the power of imagination in the ride. Figment, when he ment to hit the "Open" button, which opens the door to let people go on the ride, hits the "BLACKOUT" button, making the ride black and white. Then, Figment invites everyone to try to save it by using the Imagi-Pad. This info is told in a new preshow. During each scene, Figment will say "Here we go everybody! Help us (name of thing they must do with the pad on the ride vehicle)!" The upstairs floor will be restored, too!

DocMcHulk

Another thread said Crayola should be a sponsor. Maybe they should do the old ride, but then make it interactive (Like the end of Spaceship Earth). It brings back the Dreamfinder and Figment in a new story, that keeps the old ride's soundtrack, but here's the catch! Figment accidently touched a button on a thing he wasn't supposed to, The Imagi-Maker, which controls the power of imagination in the ride. Figment, when he ment to hit the "Open" button, which opens the door to let people go on the ride, hits the "BLACKOUT" button, making the ride black and white. Then, Figment invites everyone to try to save it by using the Imagi-Pad. This info is told in a new preshow. During each scene, Figment will say "Here we go everybody! Help us (name of thing they must do with the pad on the ride vehicle)!" The upstairs floor will be restored, too!

VERY Interesting idea

sublimesting

I'm not really sure of what to make of this rumor, but based on the information I have heard from various sources, it seems like it would be correct. According to a rumor I heard a while back, Test Track is scheduled to close for refurbishment for 6 months starting in January 2012. According to a new rumor I heard today, it's not going to be a refurbishment, but rather a overhaul of the entire attraction.

The new attraction will have a different name, still be sponsored by GM (who apparently made the call on it's creation), and be focused on the creation of new cars rather than testing. It will include a new fleet of vehicles (hopefully similar to the ones used in next gen Test Track rides such as Radiator Springs Racers) and some track modifications. The ride system and most of the track will apparently remain as is, which is why it will only take 6 months to make this happen.

I have a feeling we will be hearing more about this at D23 this year. It seems to be a completely realistic proposition, especially considering Epcot has a big anniversary next year and it's the park that has had the longest drought, not including minor attractions such as Captain EO's return or Innoventions.

Not really sure what to make of this, since I am a huge Test Track fan. Thoughts?

That sounds even more boring than Test Track.

officeboy

Regarding TT I understand the routine maintenance for the attraction is quite extensive. Somebody (Disney/GM) spends loads of money annually to keep the ride system functioning. If they were going to change the look of the cars I assume they would change the car chassis as well to try to save some cash on upkeep. Considering how much time and energy was expelled to get the ride system to work in the first place I just can't imagine they are changing the cars sans maybe paint.

Since the Que is evidently in need of attention it makes the most sense to only be changing that. Having spoken extensively with somebody on the clean up crew for the Wayside system I find it exciting and very scary that the prospect exists to modify the ride system. Exciting because it is a cool ride, but a really cool ride system if you understand the technology behind it. Scary because after hearing what it took to get it to finally work 'reliably' I shutter to think what it will take to change it and have it working again in time for the park celebration. If they are simply putting a wrapper on the 'off car' stuff that's not so bad. Changing car velocity profiles, or zone location/size and velocity profiles seems like it would take quite a bit more than 6 months to change, test, debug and make ready assuming they are changing the off car scenery at the same time.

RSoxNo1

According to Disney's annual report, revenues from admissions were about $3.5 billion in 2010. Going by the latest attendance estimates, there were about 73.25 million guests visiting the domestic parks that year. This comes out to an average of $47.83 per person for admissions.

This is assuming that the admissions figure listed in the annual report isn't including the overseas parks. If those are factored in the average cost of admission drops to $29.06

This is really useful information. I'll be bookmarking this post.

Agreed.

From my own perspective, I'll take it further. TT sucks. At least compared to World of Motion. I don't understand how anybody can wait in that long line for such a mediocre attraction.

If GM is paying for any upgrades, does that mean it comes from the taxpayer's pocket?

And as for Cars, I agree as well. There's already too much Pixar at WDW. Which of course brings up my favorite rant. Why does everything now have to tie directly to an existing franchise? Pirates and Haunted Mansion are still two of my favorites. Neither had a film to capitalize on when created. Let new attractions actually be new. Which is partly why I just don't care about the new Fantasyland. To me, it's just more of the same. Nothing actually original.

I loved classic Epcot but there needs to be some caveats for how great World of Motion was. In it's day it was a very good attraction but it certainly needed upgrading when it closed. Most of, if not all of the animatronics were old - they were constructed prior to the concept of compliance that allows for more natural movements. I'm not saying World of Motion couldn't have been brought into the 21st century, but I also think Test Track has it's place as well.

forevermickey

This sounds cool.. I think Test Track is a bore:lookaroun except for the fast race down the track at the end. Interested to see what will come of it.

AEfx

Quick question for those criticizing GM for spending money on this refurb.....

What would you have them do? Should they not spend a dime on advertising and just hope people buy their products? The only reason GM would be spending money on a refurb is because TT has been a good investment for them and produced a ROI. They are not doing it to show off, they are doing it to sell cars.

Well, part of the issue is just that it's crass. No one is saying they shouldn't advertise, but when a company is so poorly run that the government has to bail them out it just looks bad to begin with when they spend money on a theme park attraction.

And personally, I'd question what "advertising" they truly get out of it. I keep picturing some 1950's nuclear family with the Dad at the head of the dinner table, "So, kids, I've decided our next car is going to be a GM. I was mightily impressed by the attraction at Epcot and they have convinced me that I should buy their vehicles." I mean, I get it - seeing the name is advertising, if even just a subconscious impression, but still...I think it's of questionable value. I feel that way about most of the corporate sponsorship at WDW - no, I didn't switch from Pepsi to Coke just because that's what is advertised all over Disney (I just put up with it while I am there).

Of course this goes to the larger, more political bailout issue (much like the union stuff, many opinions go far past Disney), but I just find it pathetic that Disney feels the need to do these sponsorships to begin with, and that after we (the citizens of the US) gave them billions, and probably will do so again, that the millions this will cost is coming from us, one way or another.

That said, I'm all for a redo, I just wish Disney didn't play this corporate sponsorship game - Disney is one of the richest corporations in the world, but unfortunately most of the rest of the company sees WDW (and the parks) as their personal ATM cash machine - only good for what they can withdraw.

montyz81

This is really useful information. I'll be bookmarking this post.

I loved classic Epcot but there needs to be some caveats for how great World of Motion was. In it's day it was a very good attraction but it certainly needed upgrading when it closed. Most of, if not all of the animatronics were old - they were constructed prior to the concept of compliance that allows for more natural movements. I'm not saying World of Motion couldn't have been brought into the 21st century, but I also think Test Track has it's place as well.

If they were constructed before compliance existed, then why do we see WoM and Horizons AAs in other rides around the parks? They were all upgraded and reused. My point, even those AA's could have been upgraded easily and put back into a new upgraded ride for WoM. Also, I thought that compliance was in use in the 70s if not 60s. The story of old Abe's creation could give us more info on that.

I still think that an upgraded ride could include a version of both WoM and TT. A little history of the creation of the cart in the beginning which would segue nicely into a continuous evolution through testing cars leading us out the door to the high speed test and then back in. I personally think it is pathetic that there is a guy in the Mack truck in TT that doesn't move. I also think it is pathetic that the guy in the garage scene in SSE doesn't move. It is a sign of Disney not wanting to spend the money to achieve the full immersion.

Scuttle

If they were constructed before compliance existed, then why do we see WoM and Horizons AAs in other rides around the parks? They were all upgraded and reused. My point, even those AA's could have been upgraded easily and put back into a new upgraded ride for WoM. Also, I thought that compliance was in use in the 70s if not 60s. The story of old Abe's creation could give us more info on that.

I still think that an upgraded ride could include a version of both WoM and TT. A little history of the creation of the cart in the beginning which would segue nicely into a continuous evolution through testing cars leading us out the door to the high speed test and then back in. I personally think it is pathetic that there is a guy in the Mack truck in TT that doesn't move. I also think it is pathetic that the guy in the garage scene in SSE doesn't move. It is a sign of Disney not wanting to spend the money to achieve the full immersion.

I agree, I think they can mix the concept for WOM with a refurb at TT. I think it could be very cool to do the history of cars and lead up to the end with the high burst futuring cars of the near future that can handle the craziest of banked turns and are very safe because of exceptional handling and what not. Maybe add cameras on the cars. I think there's potential here and would love to see them mix this up. Most of all it needs to add the future world theming badly. I hope it incorporates cars of the future. Also the guy in the mack truck is a cardboard cutout with a lei around his neck.

RSoxNo1

Well, part of the issue is just that it's crass. No one is saying they shouldn't advertise, but when a company is so poorly run that the government has to bail them out it just looks bad to begin with when they spend money on a theme park attraction.

And personally, I'd question what "advertising" they truly get out of it. I keep picturing some 1950's nuclear family with the Dad at the head of the dinner table, "So, kids, I've decided our next car is going to be a GM. I was mightily impressed by the attraction at Epcot and they have convinced me that I should buy their vehicles." I mean, I get it - seeing the name is advertising, if even just a subconscious impression, but still...I think it's of questionable value. I feel that way about most of the corporate sponsorship at WDW - no, I didn't switch from Pepsi to Coke just because that's what is advertised all over Disney (I just put up with it while I am there).

Of course this goes to the larger, more political bailout issue (much like the union stuff, many opinions go far past Disney), but I just find it pathetic that Disney feels the need to do these sponsorships to begin with, and that after we (the citizens of the US) gave them billions, and probably will do so again, that the millions this will cost is coming from us, one way or another.

That said, I'm all for a redo, I just wish Disney didn't play this corporate sponsorship game - Disney is one of the richest corporations in the world, but unfortunately most of the rest of the company sees WDW (and the parks) as their personal ATM cash machine - only good for what they can withdraw.

I don't want to completely defend the auto industry but one of the things hurting the American Auto Industry was the use of Union employees whereas foreign manufacturer's wouldn't be using Union employees. Having said that, if a company fails, it's probably doing something wrong.

I agree that in a perfect world we'd still see an upgraded World of Motion and Horizons as well as new additions as opposed to replacements. However, as much as it pains me to say it, I never recall ever having to wait for either of these attractions. This is largely a function of capacity, but the demand for these attractions definitely waned in the final years. It's conceivable that this could have been addressed with a major refurbishment.

Changing topics slightly, the concept behind Horizons really should have been what was in Spaceship Earth.

aladdin2007

Gee so TT gets attention before Imagination when Imagination is the worst? Well I guess it boils down to sponser and since TT has one............

NoChesterHester

Gee so TT gets attention before Imagination when Imagination is the worst? Well I guess it boils down to sponser and since TT has one............

...sponsor and money, one in the same I guess.

Honestly, as bad as imagination is, I really don't want another half refurb. I would rather wait until they can commit the resources to doing it right.

Kirk88

I agree that Imagination needs MUCH more attention than Test Track. I feel Imagination needs a 'retro' overhaul (put back to the way it was). I rode Test Track for the 1st time last month. Even with a Fast Pass I waited over 20 minutes. I am very glad that was all I waited, very under-whelming ride. A refurb will help but, I don't see CARS being a fit (it's Future World, how 'bout Meet the Robinsons if there must be a movie tie-in). I still can't understand though how Disney can let EMPTY buildings sit around! Holy cow, bring back Body Wars or something! It saddened me to see the Odessy building rotting away (almost as much as the 'updated' Imagination).

aladdin2007

I agree that Imagination needs MUCH more attention than Test Track. I feel Imagination needs a 'retro' overhaul (put back to the way it was). I rode Test Track for the 1st time last month. Even with a Fast Pass I waited over 20 minutes. I am very glad that was all I waited, very under-whelming ride. A refurb will help but, I don't see CARS being a fit (it's Future World, how 'bout Meet the Robinsons if there must be a movie tie-in). I still can't understand though how Disney can let EMPTY buildings sit around! Holy cow, bring back Body Wars or something! It saddened me to see the Odessy building rotting away (almost as much as the 'updated' Imagination).[/QUOTE]

True, I wish they would kick the whole princess thing out of Norway and make the Odyssey the character meal location. Its big and would handle the crowd control better and take the zoo out of Norway that its become. But yes while Test Track is a quick fun zip of a ride, its not worth a super long wait.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree that Imagination needs MUCH more attention than Test Track. I feel Imagination needs a 'retro' overhaul (put back to the way it was). I rode Test Track for the 1st time last month. Even with a Fast Pass I waited over 20 minutes. I am very glad that was all I waited, very under-whelming ride. A refurb will help but, I don't see CARS being a fit (it's Future World, how 'bout Meet the Robinsons if there must be a movie tie-in). I still can't understand though how Disney can let EMPTY buildings sit around! Holy cow, bring back Body Wars or something! It saddened me to see the Odessy building rotting away (almost as much as the 'updated' Imagination).
While there is no attraction in WoL the building is far from unused. It is used for special events such as F&W, F&G, etc and it is rented out for special events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom