Testing Complete in 2012?

Krack

I've not said anything in defense of management in my post. I just pointed out the flip side of your position.

I do know from my time on the Internet that someone is always complaining about something. Whether it be WDW or DLR someone is always complaining.

You said there was a large group of "detractors" that would "complain no matter what". That is untrue; as I pointed out previously, there is no large group of detractors complaining constantly about Disneyland. The reason, of course, is because that park is currently well run, maintained and cared for.

mickey2008.1

TT really needs an update. The videos show cars that are ten years old and brands that are no longer existing. I like the layout of the track, and the thrill of being open top. GM being profitable again, a remake with them showing todays testing and current vehicles will just make it better. Maybe an onride video showing a car that one creates like sum of all thrills meets SSE? I also agree Cars does not to be integrated. Kids and adults love this ride as a thrill, it just needs that new wow factor of some sort.

TP2000

It be great if GM decides to go with a volt theme , be good to get a younger generation excited about electric cars.

Um... How about we pick a car that people actually want to buy? Volt sales have gone nowhere, after GM said they would sell 10,000 in selected markets (West Coast and East Coast) in 2011 and ramp up to 45,000 nationwide sales per year in 2012. GM is no longer publicly admitting any sales goals of any number for the Volt, and for good reason, since they will be lucky to end the year with 35% of their modest goal for 2011.

Chevrolet Volt Sales
December, 2010: 326
January, 2011: 321
February, 2011: 281
March, 2011: 608
April, 2011: 493
May, 2011: 481

The Volt is quickly turning into the 21st century Edsel, so if I were Government Motors, I wouldn't want to use the Volt for any theme park attraction or exhibit that would be on display to the general public reminding everyone what a failure that particular company has. :lookaroun

All that said.... I love the idea of turning Test Track into a ride-through factory experience. As long as they make it fun and thrilling, I think it could be done up with a wittier theme than the rather dreary and PBS-like safety check plotline of Test Track.

TP2000

You said there was a large group of "detractors" that would "complain no matter what". That is untrue; as I pointed out previously, there is no large group of detractors complaining constantly about Disneyland. The reason, of course, is because that park is currently well run, maintained and cared for.

Doh! :eek:

That's funny only because it is true. I should know, as I used to be a detractor of Disneyland management dating back to the alt.disney.disneyland Usenet days of the late 1990's using this same handle. During the 1998-2003 era in particular, I was a HUGE Disneyland detractor with a lot of criticism to throw TDA's way. I'm sure my old posts proving that are still available in the archives at various websites. As I remember it, I joined WDWMagic here in October, 2003 because I had given up on Disneyland almost completely and was vacationing quite regularly in WDW where I perceived things to be better run than in Anaheim.

But by 2005 I had changed my tune, along with a lot of other Disneyland fans. And by 2010 when World of Color had opened even I, a famous DCA hater dating back to the late 1990's, had changed my tune about DCA Park sitting next to the sparkling jewel Disneyland Park had become by then. It seems 1.2 Billion dollars worth of extreme makeover poured into DCA in an accelerated 3-year construction timeline will do that to a person, apparently.

And now here in the summer of 2011? I'm as happy as a clam about Disneyland Resort. Happy, happy, happy-shiny, HAPPY! :sohappy:

jakeman

That still has nothing to do with management. I also never said the group was large.

Krack you must be a farmer, because you certain produce many straw men for your argument.

From Miceage:

I was kinda disappointed with the new gates though.

I'd like to say a few things about Goofy's Flight School.

I have ridden the same wild mouse coaster at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom where it is completely un-themed (if that is a word) and seriously GFS is not much better.

heir level of creativity HAS seemed to be consistently slipping... first by installing "The Monsters Inc." bang-door-ride,

I'm not saying that the complaints are valid or not, just pointing out that they are there.

It's the internet, people complain...so my point, which wound you all up, is very much in line with your original point. It cost Disney nothing to announce something and not build it.

Those who praise everything will praise it. Those who bash will bash; and the rest will wait and judge what actually appears and vote with their pocketbook.

It has nothing to do with support or displeasure with "management".

WDWFigment

I will. :D

Parts of this rumor are true. I've brought this up ast year but it went unnoticed by most. I don't know a time frame, cost or dates but it's part of the NextGen program.

The entire queue will be reworked. Instead of visiting a test lab guests will be able to choose specs for their vehicles to see how they perform while on the ride. The NextGen process will use a device to store the information as you travel along the queue adding all of the different options and then you will be able to upload it to your vehicle.

The ride itself will basically be the same save for audio and video. You will see how your specs are holding up under the different circumstances.

In the post show area you can view and email a video (including the specs of your vehicle) to yourself or others.

Haven't seen anything on vehicle changes (although new paint or bodywork could happen) but the track is staying the same this far.

:animwink:

I have to admit that when I read the OP, I wondered why they would be doing this to an attraction that still is really popular, especially given that finite resources could be better spent elsewhere.

Although I still think that the other attractions are in more urgent need of work, this sounds really, really good. It might actually make me interested in Test Track again!

erasure fan1

Meanwhile, the topic makes me wonder what poor Figment has to do to get some love...

He needs to find a sponsor willing to foot the bill.

I like the idea of the updated test track. It would seem that there are more pressing issues with other attractions but I think this would be a good thing. Test track is a popular attraction and in order to keep it from becoming totally outdated and obsolete you need to do things like this. If they did it more often with other attractions you wouldnt have the landslide of problems and popularity issues. Many O rides might have been saved with proper updates and refurbs IMO.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Unfortunately, who would pick that attraction to sponsor in its current state.... And doesn't Kodak own the rights to Figment still? If so, I wouldn't think Disney could pitch a sponsorship deal to anyone else...
As is, no one in their right mind, but as a blank canvas I could think of a few players that could do something with the pavilion. Like everything it all comes down to money. At this point I do not even know it the physical building is worth saving. Personally, I have always hated the idea of shoehorning new attractions into an existing building. I would much rather see them take a bulldozer to the place and start from dirt. The problem with that approach is that it is typically more expensive. Even with a sponsor Disney is going to have to put up some capital and I just do not see them doing it right now.

CJR

I would be SO happy if this happens. TT is need of something new. It's fun the first time you go on it, but it's so boring to me now. I only go on it when the wait is minimal. I also like that they would focus on the future of cars since it would give a nod to Future World. IMO, this would be a step in the right direction.

I am a little surprised GM would fork over the cash necessary to do the makeover. Still, if they do, that's awesome!

space42

He needs to find a sponsor willing to foot the bill.

I like the idea of the updated test track. It would seem that there are more pressing issues with other attractions but I think this would be a good thing. Test track is a popular attraction and in order to keep it from becoming totally outdated and obsolete you need to do things like this. If they did it more often with other attractions you wouldnt have the landslide of problems and popularity issues. Many O rides might have been saved with proper updates and refurbs IMO.

You know - I always cringe when someone says something like "He needs to find a sponsor willing to foot the bill." I'd like to think my $80 park admission is more than enough to "foot the bill" for a worthwhile Imagination Attraction. If Disney can't afford to keep one of their headliner E-Tickets (original imagination was certainly an E-Ticket with more special effects than the entire magic kingdom had on opening day) up to their own created standards than why should guests continue to pay more for a lesser experience while continuing to make excuses for them (someone else needs to pay for it) Not trying to single you out here - but we hear this excuse a lot when Disney lets things sit and rot (Imagination, WOL, Odyssey, movie in Norway, etc)

I'm glad Test Track is getting some love. Great ride system - terrible attraction. It doesn't seem like this update is going to change the look of riding through an un-themed show building with mostly flat painted props though.
Why not make it more like a dark ride. Imagine if you were in the dark - whizzing past fully detailed sets, speed rooms, etc. like those found in World of Motion. Seems like that would be an easy fix, no? ahhh.. but that would involve 'Imagination' and that costs money.. sigh :)

$.02

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You know - I always cringe when someone says something like "He needs to find a sponsor willing to foot the bill." I'd like to think my $80 park admission is more than enough to "foot the bill" for a worthwhile Imagination Attraction. If Disney can't afford to keep one of their headliner E-Tickets (original imagination was certainly an E-Ticket with more special effects than the entire magic kingdom had on opening day) up to their own created standards than why should guests continue to pay more for a lesser experience while continuing to make excuses for them (someone else needs to pay for it) Not trying to single you out here - but we hear this excuse a lot when Disney lets things sit and rot (Imagination, WOL, Odyssey, movie in Norway, etc)

I'm glad Test Track is getting some love. Great ride system - terrible attraction. It doesn't seem like this update is going to change the look of riding through an un-themed show building with mostly flat painted props though.
Why not make it more like a dark ride. Imagine if you were in the dark - whizzing past fully detailed sets, speed rooms, etc. like those found in World of Motion. Seems like that would be an easy fix, no? ahhh.. but that would involve 'Imagination' and that costs money.. sigh :)

$.02
$80 per day would be enough to do all you have said but the reality is few to none of the people in the parks are actually paying $80 per day. From what I hear the actual number is closer to the $40 range and the money collected for ticket and AP sales really only covers the operational expenses of the park. The lion share of the profit comes from food and merchandise. Disney has looked to sponsors the help flip the bill since DL opened in 1955. In the case of Imagination the only reason to fix it right now is pride and that is in rather short supply. A sponsor would provide Disney with a financial reason to fix it. Sad but true.

erasure fan1

Trust me, it made me cringe to type it. I in no way support that sort of mentality but unfortunately its the way that it is. Like it or not, I dont see it really changing anytime soon. You are right though, the $1100 my tickets cost, plus the DVC cost, multiplied by everyone else who goes to WDW, should be enough cash to do what needs to be done.

WorldKey

You know - I always cringe when someone says something like "He needs to find a sponsor willing to foot the bill." I'd like to think my $80 park admission is more than enough to "foot the bill" for a worthwhile Imagination Attraction.

Boy - isn't that the truth....same thing I have been thinking for years. I don't necessarily buy the other poster's $40 average....I've been going to WDW for years (decades) and have never - even with packages - saved more than 20% on tickets.....but I do agree that the food/bev/souvenir sales provides a tremendous profit for use in new development/refurb. And why is it that the excuse at EPCOT is that they 'need a sponsor'? Although there have been sponsors of MK attractions, I don't see a sign leading into the Haunted Mansion 'Presented by Hershey's Candy'......

Denscott

GM is no longer publicly admitting any sales goals of any number for the Volt, and for good reason, since they will be lucky to end the year with 35% of their modest goal for 2011.

I'm a big supporter of new tech and electric cars fit that bill...BUT I agree that the Volt will sell nothing if the support infratructure is not there. Until you can go on a road trip, pull into a BP station and just "plug in" instead of "fill up" people are not going to chance it.

That being said though, it would be foolish for GM to drop the Volt so quickly...especially since they invested so much in tooling and manpower on the Poletown plant in Hamtramck, MI

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom