Testing Complete in 2012?

Mr Bill

Boy - isn't that the truth....same thing I have been thinking for years. I don't necessarily buy the other poster's $40 average....I've been going to WDW for years (decades) and have never - even with packages - saved more than 20% on tickets.....but I do agree that the food/bev/souvenir sales provides a tremendous profit for use in new development/refurb. And why is it that the excuse at EPCOT is that they 'need a sponser'. Although there have been sponsers of MK attractions, I don't see a sign leading into the Haunted Mansion 'Sponsered by Hershey's Candy'......
According to Disney's annual report, revenues from admissions were about $3.5 billion in 2010. Going by the latest attendance estimates, there were about 73.25 million guests visiting the domestic parks that year. This comes out to an average of $47.83 per person for admissions.

This is assuming that the admissions figure listed in the annual report isn't including the overseas parks. If those are factored in the average cost of admission drops to $29.06

WorldKey

According to Disney's annual report, revenues from admissions were about $3.5 billion in 2010. Going by the latest attendance estimates, there were about 73.25 million guests visiting the domestic parks that year. This comes out to an average of $47.83 per person for admissions.

This is assuming that the admissions figure listed in the annual report isn't including the overseas parks. If those are factored in the average cost of admission drops to $29.06

Well, I suppose the real question is not how much people are paying on average but how much is left of all revenue that is directed back into new devl/refurb. All that most of us know (who don't have access to these numbers) is that we drop a pretty penny in each park everytime we go (tickets/food/souvenirs) and it seems that the profit margin leaves enough to put aside a reasonable amount for future devl. without needing a sponsor for everything existing or new in EPCOT.

Odd indeed. It makes D23 seem like hucksterism, and its attendees suckers.

I think there's something to this. Even though I'm a member and have enjoyed the events I've gone to, it's hard not to think that the point and purpose of D23 is to use and distract the fans. They give us lavish events, insider info, tributes to fan favorites, peaks behind the curtain, and retro merch, and I think it's all in the hope that we won't be so critical of them, maybe we'll even sing their praises. Are they trowing fans a bone to distract us from the fact that little has really changed? Perhaps this is why the Fix the Magic idea is even more important than ever, show them we won't be placated by shiny baubles and fireworks that are all sparkle and no substance. We want action!

That said, I do look forward to the announcements. Even if nothing comes of them, it'd be nice to see WDI thinking big once more. And someone in their ranks must believe in those ideas. There's always hope.

Malvito

You know - I always cringe when someone says something like "He needs to find a sponsor willing to foot the bill." I'd like to think my $80 park admission is more than enough to "foot the bill" for a worthwhile Imagination Attraction.

As has been pointed out (and ignored), Disney has used co-sponsors for rides since the original Disneyland opened. The admission prices seem (and, indeed, are) hefty for you and me, but, in relation to running something as large as WDW, we are lucky that they are not a lot higher.

space42

As has been pointed out (and ignored), Disney has used co-sponsors for rides since the original Disneyland opened. The admission prices seem (and, indeed, are) hefty for you and me, but, in relation to running something as large as WDW, we are lucky that they are not a lot higher.

Not ignored at all. The corporate sponsorship started during Walt's time to help share the costs of some attractions during a time when the Disney company didn't have quite as deep pockets... Smart business decision and it was often good for both parties I think.
My point was that the lack of a sponsor shouldn't stop Disney from performing a much needed refurb. The amount of money that Disney makes from the parks now is borderline obscene.
Like Worldkey said earlier - it's not like you walk up to Haunted Manison (presented by Hershey) , but they just did quite a large refurb there.

Sorry, the current state of Imagination just strikes a nerve with me. No excuse will ever make it right. Fix it Disney!

AEfx

Thank you for clarifying the mis-information spewed around earlier. Regardless of political standings or where one gets their news, people need to learn how to be better informed before making incorrect statements like "GM is owned (largely) by the US government."

Well, with 27%, I do believe that makes them the largest single shareholder.

Regardless, I understand the point the person was trying to make - here is GM with their Chapter 11 and government bailout and huge tax exemptions - yet they have millions to throw around to redecorate a theme park ride. It's just the type of corporate arrogance that irritates people. "We have to lay off 2000 workers - but the CEO still gets to fly in a company jet that costs more than most people make in a lifetime."

In any case, I've never had GM vehicle, and after my experiences with TT I probably won't. It's funny, because the point of sponsorship is to get advertising, but in the case of "when it's gonna break down today?" Test Track, with CM's doing everything but kick-starting the things to get them moving again, it's hardly a ringing endorsement. :)

(Yes, I am aware that the performance of a theme park ride vehicle is far different than the type of car that GM actually produces and not a good indicator of their quality, BUT, I have to say, I'm hit with the irony every time I'm in line and something glitches with a vehicle and the whole place gets cycled. ;) )

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Thanks, I thought so. I'm not a huge Apple fan, but they've got the innovation and $$$ that that pavilion (or WoL) needs to make it a headliner attraction again.

Not gonna happen, especially since Disney has an existing partnership with HP and is starting one with Microsoft.

erasure fan1

For me, the issue of sponsors really doesn't bother me. The problem I have (and maybe others) is that Disney should be able to fix something that is very much broken without a sponsor. If an attraction doesn't have a sponsor, there is no excuse to just let an attraction just sit there and say "Oh well we don't have a sponsor, nothing we can do!". Its Disneys responsibility to take care of, shale I say, a DISNEY attraction. If you can get a sponsor, great, fantastic, wonderful! If not, its up to you to suck it up and take care of it. With Imagination I see neither of these happening. They might as well just change the name to Journey into irrelevance.

OldAndBusted

Interesting.

I am not a big TT fan, so I am fine with almost any attempt to upgrade the ride experience.

We all know there are other things in Epcot, and all around the resort requiring more urgent updating/re-imagining. But GM is footing the bill, so therefore this gets pushed to the top of the list.

As for the Cars layover, please Disney, NO!

Agreed.

From my own perspective, I'll take it further. TT sucks. At least compared to World of Motion. I don't understand how anybody can wait in that long line for such a mediocre attraction.

If GM is paying for any upgrades, does that mean it comes from the taxpayer's pocket?

And as for Cars, I agree as well. There's already too much Pixar at WDW. Which of course brings up my favorite rant. Why does everything now have to tie directly to an existing franchise? Pirates and Haunted Mansion are still two of my favorites. Neither had a film to capitalize on when created. Let new attractions actually be new. Which is partly why I just don't care about the new Fantasyland. To me, it's just more of the same. Nothing actually original.

OldAndBusted

I have heard this rumor many times so this doesn't surprise me. Inface this almost seems definite based on what I have heard as well. However, I would rather have Imagination and Universe of Energy redone. Or Wonders of Life filled up. Or Captain EO replaced. Or a new Country added. Or Spaceship Earth finished. Or Innovations replaced. Or have something go into the old Odyssey building that sets empty...yeah, there are other things that should be repaired/redone first...

Well if we're going to prioritize... Start with Innoventions. Perhaps the biggest waste of real estate on the planet. Boring doesn't begin to describe this wasteland.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Quick question for those criticizing GM for spending money on this refurb.....

What would you have them do? Should they not spend a dime on advertising and just hope people buy their products? The only reason GM would be spending money on a refurb is because TT has been a good investment for them and produced a ROI. They are not doing it to show off, they are doing it to sell cars.

OldAndBusted

For me, the issue of sponsors really doesn't bother me. The problem I have (and maybe others) is that Disney should be able to fix something that is very much broken without a sponsor.

With what? All WDW profits go to propping up other floundering properties of the Disney conglomerate. Has ABC Family ever made a profit? They paid far too many billions for that property. And don't get me started on the Marvel acquisition. Another huge waste of resources.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom