News Test Track to be reimagined

SilentWindODoom

I've said it before, but for a grand finale after the loop, throw in a surprise "black ice" simulation and you'll have a real thrill that only we in the colder climes have had the misfortune to experience.

I read "loop" and thought for a moment you'd suggested they add an inversion to the ride. :hungover:

DCBaker

Premium Member

Adding the above to this thread.

Here's a quote from the article:

"According to friends of Mickey Views working at Test Track inside the Walt Disney World Resort, key cast members have been notified the GM-sponsored pavilion will be closing for a major update in Late July of 2024. Disney has yet to officially announce a closing date for the reimagining of Test Track."

Marc Davis Fan

Doubt it. People ride test track for the outdoor speed portion. Removing it would defeat the purpose of having the ride system in the first place.

Though, to make it work there would have to be a serious redo of the layout inside including potentially adding another floor inside the building. Removing the speed portion would make it more like World of Motion but I just don't see it happening.

I think they mean enclosing the outdoor speed portion, not removing it.

Enclosing it would have a host of benefits, including allowing it to run in all weather and not breaking the immersion with backstage views (which fit the theme of TT 1.0, but not 2.0 and likely not 3.0).

Vinnie Mac

Adding the above to this thread.

Here's a quote from the article:

"According to friends of Mickey Views working at Test Track inside the Walt Disney World Resort, key cast members have been notified the GM-sponsored pavilion will be closing for a major update in Late July of 2024. Disney has yet to officially announce a closing date for the reimagining of Test Track."
Obviously knew this was happening but didn't think it was happening this soon. I know most people preferred the original Test Track (or even WOM for that matter) but 2.0 is what i personally grew up on (I'm young i know) and is what my family and I have become attached to over the years.

Sad but excited to see what Disney cooks up for TT 3.0

Mickeynerd17

I think they mean enclosing the outdoor speed portion, not removing it.

Enclosing it would have a host of benefits, including allowing it to run in all weather and not breaking the immersion with backstage views (which fit the theme of TT 1.0, but not 2.0 and likely not 3.0).
If that's the case, I'd rather not. We have enough massive box structures backstage in that part of the park and more importantly I don't want to see the front of the building covered up more than it already is.

Unfortunately, the reduced downtime is very, very enticing though.

Earlie the Pearlie

If that's the case, I'd rather not. We have enough massive box structures backstage in that part of the park and more importantly I don't want to see the front of the building covered up more than it already is.

Unfortunately, the reduced downtime is very, very enticing though.
Exactly. The transportation pavilion has a specific shape for a reason. The exterior track was, thankfully, mostly designed to respect the design of the original World of Motion, mirroring and encircling the existing pavilion. Enclose it in a box, and not only will you lose that shape, but the entrance, already marred by the necessary tent, will now have another ugly box hugging the facade. Yes, the downtime sucks operationally, but hasn’t Disney screwed up Epcot’s sight lines enough? Unless the covering is built to complement the building, perhaps adding an additional cylinder to the back and making the original bigger to cover the track (it would be kind of cool to have the building shaped like an infinity sign) I just really don’t want this to happen.

FigmentFan82

Exactly. The transportation pavilion has a specific shape for a reason. The exterior track was, thankfully, mostly designed to respect the design of the original World of Motion, mirroring and encircling the existing pavilion. Enclose it in a box, and not only will you lose that shape, but the entrance, already marred by the necessary tent, will now have another ugly box hugging the facade. Yes, the downtime sucks operationally, but hasn’t Disney screwed up Epcot’s sight lines enough? Unless the covering is built to complement the building, perhaps adding an additional cylinder to the back and making the original bigger to cover the track (it would be kind of cool to have the building shaped like an infinity sign) I just really don’t want this to happen.
why would it need to be a box? pretty sure a semicircle enclosure of just the outdoor elevated track would work perfectly fine to allow you to offer cover of that portion and not need to close down in rain

WDWFREAK53

I think I already mentioned this earlier in the thread but enclosing the outdoor portion with a wrap-around screen could REALLY enhance this attraction.
The old "crash test" car could be another car you race. You stop at the line, the green light goes and you take off...the "crash test car" drives alongside you but you take the lead and head through the doors. The video screen shows the car racing you as you cruise along and then you finally win as you pass the finish line and into the final brake run into the building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom