News Test Track to be reimagined

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Imagine designing an attraction that is based on a chase from the big bang to present and not finding a way to fit in any moment with Dinos.
And if they had Dinos in there, you're speeding by them in a coaster. And then a certain contingent would then be whining that they didn't give enough attention to the dinosaurs.

We all know that for those who don't like this IP coaster in their nostalgic ideal of EPCOT that no amount of giving people what they want ("more dinosaurs") will actually satisfy them. They'll say "it wasn't enough" and add it to their list of overplayed minor grievances.

IOW, dinos wouldn't have satisfied anyone.

Casper Gutman

And if they had Dinos in there, you're speeding by them in a coaster. And then a certain contingent would then be whining that they didn't give enough attention to the dinosaurs.

We all know that for those who don't like this IP coaster in their nostalgic ideal of EPCOT that no amount of giving people what they want ("more dinosaurs") will actually satisfy them. They'll say "it wasn't enough" and add it to their list of overplayed minor grievances.

It sure would have made it better. Include the AA-pre-show from the concept art and rewrite the story a bit so it isn’t completely incoherent and you’d have a really great attraction.

Oh, and fix the room-change effect so it’s at least almost as good as the one at a Vegas hotel a couple decades ago.

SamusAranX

Why do you assume that’s how people feel?

I love the ride, even though I don’t think it’s a “perfect” fit. Disney gave up on park cohesion years ago.

zipadee999

They could’ve used them for a mid-course show scene almost like what you find on Hagrids or Mummy.

Maybe halfway through the ship experiences a power failure and you have to crash-land back on Earth. However, you didn’t make it back to present day and it’s a prehistoric version of Earth. You go through a portal that takes you into an offshoot of the showbuilding and hit a break run. You go through the OG Dino scenes while moving at a dark-ride pace like the beginning of Mummy. You go into a cave at the end and a T-Rex starts to lunge at you just as you get your power back and launch through a portal into the rest of the coaster.

As cool as this would’ve been, it might’ve killed the pacing of the coaster. Also, it could’ve seemed weird and out of place for people of the GP who didn’t know what was there before like we do.

osian

I don't know about that. I certainly would have enjoyed seeing them.

Unfortunately, the new ride isn't one my stomach agreed with. I rode it once in December and don't know that I'll attempt it again the next time I'm there.
Lol, I couldn't get enough! I rode it 11 times when I was there this time last year.

LittleBuford

Lol, I couldn't get enough! I rode it 11 times when I was there this time last year.
I’m jealous! I could tell it was a fun ride—I enjoyed the first 20 seconds of it—but my tolerance for anything more thrilling than Space Mountain (not the Paris one!) has plummeted these past few years. I didn’t even risk Tower of Terror during my last visit.

celluloid

No one complains about speeding by the moon.

A story issue with this ride is it tries to be about going back to the formation of existence and formation of Universe, with time passing, with no indicators of such post launch.

Theme park guests are usually fine passing by things fast when the ride is designed to do it. Just as the Yeti, or just as Revenge of the Mummy has you speeding by dark thick posters of Mummy Warrior Spirits. Big Thunder Mountain's most theming details. Hagrid's, Velocicoaster.
More to the truth with Cosmic Rewind, it is just easier to have it dark and themed to space like their most famous indoor coaster.

We have an Omni Coaster vehicle that has little to aim at, and typically focuses on rotating fo thrill vs rotation for attention, focus or story element.

Regardless of all that. The issue is an Imagineer stating, "We tried to fit the dinos in, but we could not figure out how."
That does not fit your take on it.

Coasters have sped by things constantly in the theme park world and it is still nice to have them when it is a good ride.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

Lol. You have to go back a few screens to even find info pertaining to this thread topic. Test track? Nah! Let’s just complain about the Energy Pavilion and dinos.

What does Test Track hafta’ do with the Energy Pavilion anyway…? Test Track is where World of Motion used to be… :cyclops:

celluloid

Leading to the question of why the original imagineers did not have the vision to futureproof the design?
I think the thought was an attraction lasting nearly twenty years will get returned or replaced.
Sometimes it's under what the sponsor wants.

When it comes to EPCOT particularly,
Instead they half changed things to lesser thematically messier versions and the others are not there at all.anymore. so.the nostalgic ones have is for "Hey when this was better?"
Energy Adventure used the past that created resourced that we find the present and tried to inspire responsible use for future. It did that well. It was just Ellen lasted longer than the show in there before...by a lot.

Test Track tried. And I'm their minds Test Track 2 even did but both ended up being industrial, as 2.0 was design in the queue with no relevance or fun tie in functionality in the attraction and post show has still been too corporate.
Maybe they are true to their goal when they say this will be back to the world of.motioj inspiration.

They are not MK classics, and even those have oddly been neglected or ended up staying as neglected or lesser versions in some cases.(and pre 70s those were not sacred how they became.
Iger has left things more stale than any leader before him.

Basing something on Franchises of recent and aimless recently has been easier.

What is interesting is even Disney's third most visited for theme park(not likely anymore) that has grown to a better spot has no opening day attractions(to my knowledge, even Star Tours technically redone and rethemed to new saga points( left)
Not even Universal can say that. They still have an opening day ride and show in the park.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I think the thought was an attraction lasting nearly twenty years will get returned or replaced.

Instead they half changed things to lesser thematically messier versions and the others are not there at all.anymore. so.the nostalgic ones have is for "Hey when this was better?"
Energy Adventure used the past that created resourced that we find the present and tried to inspire responsible use for future. It did that well. It was just Ellen lasted longer than the show in there before...by a lot.

Test Track tried. And I'm their minds Test Track 2 even did but both ended up being industrial, as 2.0 was design in the queue with no relevance or fun tie in functionality in the attraction and post show has still been too corporate.
Maybe they are true to their goal when they say this will be back to the world of.motioj inspiration.

They are not MK classics, and even those have oddly been neglected or ended up staying as neglected or lesser versions in some cases.(and pre 70s those were not sacred how they became.

What is interesting is even Disney's third most visited for theme park(not likely anymore) that has grown to a better spot has no opening day attractions(to my knowledge, even Star Toirs technjcally.redone and rethemed to.new saga points( left)
Not even Universal can say that.
Or they were out for the down and dirty just to get the marks in the gates...

I was one of those......

aladdin2007

What is interesting is even Disney's third most visited for theme park(not likely anymore) that has grown to a better spot has no opening day attractions(to my knowledge, even Star Toirs technjcally.redone and rethemed to.new saga points( left)
Not even Universal can say that.
Originally those pavilions were designed with ten year sponsor contracts, and meant to be changed out. It didn't quite pan out that way of course but that was the design set up. Of course back then ten tears was much longer than it is today, today its nothing lol, scary I know.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
What’s always been fascinating to me is the fact that Test Track was part of Transportation’s original plans for much of it’s development.

So while I can see that it’s a bit outdated and inferior to Motion, it *is* faithful to concept and purpose.

SamusAranX

I’m jealous! I could tell it was a fun ride—I enjoyed the first 20 seconds of it—but my tolerance for anything more thrilling than Space Mountain (not the Paris one!) has plummeted these past few years. I didn’t even risk Tower of Terror during my last visit.
Sorry to hear that. Those are two of may favs at Disney and I couldn’t imagine not being able to do them

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom