Tearing down the North Wing?

Robfasto

What video?

Nothing exciting, just about 60 seconds taken yesterday... Shows pretty much the same as the pictures...

marni1971 said:
Maybe not so much seeing the buildings go, more the beheamouth that`s replacing them.

I checked yesterday and you can only see the Tower from Liberty Square and of course a bit from the TTA (PeopleMover). As long as the now 'TOWER' is not much taller than the original it will not be to bad.

Contemp_Square.jpg

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Maybe not so much seeing the buildings go, more the beheamouth that`s replacing them.

Took the words right out of my mouth.....not excited about the new design. But, it's not up to me so that works out ok. :lol:

Also if you have memories of staying in those wings, there is just a twinge of sentiment involved. Some of my earliest memories of being at WDW that I have are of my parents and I staying in one of the wings years ago. I will always remember that fondly even if the wings aren't particuarly striking in appearance. You wont find me on the top of a soapbox yelling "Stop the bulldozers..." just a little reminiscing is all. :(

gbruenin

Question:

When the DVC memberships with this building as the home resort go on sale, do you think they'll be more expensive given their proximity to the Magic Kingdom??

This is trick question, right?

As I understand the DVC process, each sale gets booked as revenue in the year the sale is made. So, a conservative 200 rooms, at an average stay of one week, times 52 weeks, times a conservative $15k each, is $156M. These rooms should come online as the Animal Kingdom DVC rooms sell out (which themselves should come online when Saratoga completes). Of course they'll charge more..its a cash cow. .

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Wow, the Contemporary sure gets around!

:lookaroun

Indeed. Just the other day I was enjoying a Dole Whip when I heard a noise, turned around and.......BAM......there it was. I've never seen a building that big try to hide in a cement tree before. :lookaroun

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JPVonDrake

And now the Official Word on the Subject...

As pictures have now been posted on the Internet of the current demolition of the North wing, Disney has updated the "official word" on what is planned. Please don't get excited...

Guests at Disney's Contemporary Resort will continue to see construction work occurring as we are developing an expansion at Disney's Contemporary Resort. We are very excited about the prospects of this new enhancement and we look forward to providing more details when they become available to share.

In order to make room for the expansion, the North Garden Wing of the Contemporary is being demolished. This effort reflects the never-ending commitment to evolve the resort and its services for the future enjoyment of Guests who visit this popular location.

FAQ's

Q1. Why is there construction / demolition happening in this area [north area of the resort]?
We are developing an expansion at Disney's Contemporary Resort. In order to make room for the expansion, the North Garden Wing of the Contemporary Resort is being demolished.

Q2. Why is the North Garden Wing closed?

We are developing an expansion at Disney's Contemporary Resort. In order to make room for the expansion, the North Garden Wing of the Contemporary Resort is being demolished.

Q3. When will the construction effort be completed?

An exact completion date has not yet been determined.

Q4. Can you tell us more about this construction project?

We are very excited about the prospects of this new enhancement and we look forward to providing more details when they become available to share.

Q5. Why can’t you share more details now?
The building is under construction.
Though we do not know as of yet when we will have more information to share, we understand the curiosity people have about the construction at this popular location, and we look forward to providing more details when they become available.

Q6. When will you know more?
Though we do not know as of yet when we will have more information to share, we understand the curiosity people have about the construction at this popular location, and we look forward to providing more details when they become available.

Q7. Will this construction project impact my stay?
Disney's Contemporary Resort will continue to operate as normal during the construction project. As a matter of practice, we surround all construction work on Disney property with appropriate fencing to preserve the Guest experience as much as possible while the work is occurring.

That is all. I wonder what is being build there? :hammer:

maelstrom

These rooms should come online as the Animal Kingdom DVC rooms sell out (which themselves should come online when Saratoga completes).

Animal Kingdom Lodge DVC is already becoming available to current DVC members, and I believe March 1st for everyone, and Saratoga Springs is far from finished.

wdwjmp239

Anyone seen THE ladder make an appearance there? That's usually the indication of major progress.

HAHAHAH!! I knew someone was going to make a comment about "The Ladder"

You know -- in order to speed up refurbishment... you need....*drum roll* THE LADDER! :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes, you're in the minority..but I'm in the minority with you.

I see what people are saying about the design of the new tower but if you place it next to the A-Frame...it will look nice because each tower will have it's own basic shape that will compliment each other.

A more "Contemporary" design could've been chosen...I would've like to see something dramatic like the new Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston.
(Dealing with this building from an engineer's eyes...this is incredible.)
I kind of agree, but I'm not going to judge just yet from the two drawings that I have seen so far.

I do wish they had gone with a more Le Corbusier type design, but then again any design will eventually be non-Contemporary
It wasn't suppose to be funny, that was an un-editted shot taken from in front of the Liberty Belle Riverboat...

Yeah, but look what you started! :lol:

I noticed today you also have a good view from Splash & Big Thunder Mountains.
You also can see the space shuttle take off, but people don't complain about THAT spoiling the Disney magic! :lookaroun :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom