Tearing down the North Wing?

WDWFREAK53

I really don't think it'll be a problem. If you stand on Main Street, you can't see the perimeter fireworks because of how close you are to the buildings and those are a lot higher than the top of the Contemporary.

Shaman

I have a solution for everyone, just look towards the castle..don't go searching for the Contemporary, it won't be obvious.

Ssssh...that sort of thinking is dangerous. :lookaroun
:lol:

So is there enough space for a parking lot for the new tower (since capacity will increase)?

Buried20KLeague

Question:

When the DVC memberships with this building as the home resort go on sale, do you think they'll be more expensive given their proximity to the Magic Kingdom??

We've been thinking long and hard about buying into the DVC, and all this is starting to make me want to wait a couple years to buy into this building specifically, but not if it'll cost a ton more because of location...

Thoughts?

wdwpooh1027

sad

Hey everyone...my fiance and I are going to WDW in May and happen to be staying at the contemporary. Of course by the time we go...the North Wing will probably no longer be there. I will take some pics if I can. ;)

MaxsDad

I haven't really thought about it in terms of capacity before because the idea of a DVC Resort on the monorail is so intriguing to me, but in terms of economics, this is great for us "on-siters" in the long run.

If they replace a 3 story building with the tower, there will be more rooms on property, albeit high-end rooms, rooms that have to be sold nonetheless. Supply and demand should tell us that this move would, in the long run, contribute to lower room rates than had they not been built.

As far as aesthetics go, I am the type of guy that is so into the themeing right in front of his face, that I am not staring off into the Horizon looking for distant themes. However, that does sound interesting, I will have to try it next time.

maelstrom

As much as I hate to admit it, I'd really want to stay in a DVC studio in the new Contemporary DVC tower. I'm not really a huge fan of knocking down the North garden wing or replacing it with a huge tower next to the stately A-frame, but since they didn't ask me and they're going to do it anyway, I guess I have to accept it. I really wish they would've went with eight or ten stories instead of fifteen, though; it will really take away from the grandeur of the A-frame. A studio in the DVC tower will probably be remarkable, if they make the bedroom area as large as the current Contemporary rooms (which they ought to if they want this to be the snazziest and most upscale DVC resort). If they make teeny rooms like at SSR, that's kind of a waste. They better make these DVC rooms like nothing we've ever seen before. And there should definitely be two or three story villas in there as well. Here's to hoping they don't royally screw this up.

IWalt

Here we go

:lookaroun
Now that the North Wing is gone, how about removing the 'South' from 'South Garden Wing' (so it would just be the Garden Wing)? I think that sounds better, and there is no longer a need to differentiate between North and South.

Those pictures are scary...this project is moving really quickly!

Do shoot me, just adding what i heard from a Disney bus driver. We all know they always tell the truth and would never tell a fib to have fun with the guest. Here it goes. The south wing is next. He did not say if this would be more DVC or just more rooms. 2012 is the date he gave me. I dont know if its true. I hope not but will see.

jmvd20

I will not even go to the MK anymore because a few years ago I noticed the Contemporary from the train after we came around Space Mountain and it ruined my entire vacation as well as my wifes. I also vowed to never take our son to the Mk when he is old enough since I do not want him to have nightmares about seeing the hotel from the park. It's just so awfull I really have to stop talking about it now, I can't even muster enough courage to complain to WDW, it is just too painfull of a memory.

MaxsDad

Question:

When the DVC memberships with this building as the home resort go on sale, do you think they'll be more expensive given their proximity to the Magic Kingdom??

We've been thinking long and hard about buying into the DVC, and all this is starting to make me want to wait a couple years to buy into this building specifically, but not if it'll cost a ton more because of location...

Thoughts?

Buried,

I was told that the current rack price, $101, would go up to about $105 in the beginning of March when the AKL DVC hits the market. It would seem to logically follow then, that increases would occur when the Contemp DVC comes out too. Between now and March, she said they are taking $10 off per point on the rack price. She wouldn't say or didn't know if that would continue after March.

I assume you know that the points purchased for 90 now will carry just as much value as the ones sold for 110 later, when it comes time to book the room. In regards to points needed to rent Contemp DVC rooms, I personally expect that they will be the highest on property.

WDWFREAK53

I have a question...and maybe it's a nostalgia thing.

Why is everybody (or I should say a lot of people) upset that the North Garden building is going bye bye and possibly the South?

The people that don't want this to happen...I have a question for you.

Have you seen these buildings? :hurl:

Oh wait, if you haven't...I have one that's very similar!

Anything is better than what is currently there. The main tower has its appeal but those smaller Garden buildings are just plain hideous. (Some designs look great on a grand scale but the minute you miniaturize it, it loses a lot)

Attachments

• 2tree.jpg
    2tree.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 53

Buried20KLeague

Buried,

I was told that the current rack price, $101, would go up to about $105 in the beginning of March when the AKL DVC hits the market. It would seem to logically follow then, that increases would occur when the Contemp DVC comes out too. Between now and March, she said they are taking $10 off per point on the rack price. She wouldn't say or didn't know if that would continue after March.

I assume you know that the points purchased for 90 now will carry just as much value as the ones sold for 110 later, when it comes time to book the room. In regards to points needed to rent Contemp DVC rooms, I personally expect that they will be the highest on property.

I appreciate the post. :wave:

I guess I just have this picture in my mind of them really jacking the cost per point up once they're actually selling into this property. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they sell out a property completely before moving to the next? Example: They sold out OKW, then the Villas, etc, etc... If you want your home resort to be OKW, you can't buy it through Disney. I just can imagine them selling out the AK Villas, then it'll be time to sell the Contemporary Tower, and BAM!!! The price per point gets jacked up 40%...

Don't know if that's proper rationale or not though. ??

CaptainMichael

I will not even go to the MK anymore because a few years ago I noticed the Contemporary from the train after we came around Space Mountain and it ruined my entire vacation as well as my wifes. I also vowed to never take our son to the Mk when he is old enough since I do not want him to have nightmares about seeing the hotel from the park. It's just so awfull I really have to stop talking about it now, I can't even muster enough courage to complain to WDW, it is just too painfull of a memory.

*hoping this post was sarcastic*

DisneyPhD

I guess I just have this picture in my mind of them really jacking the cost per point up once they're actually selling into this property. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they sell out a property completely before moving to the next? Example: They sold out OKW, then the Villas, etc, etc... If you want your home resort to be OKW, you can't buy it through Disney. I just can imagine them selling out the AK Villas, then it'll be time to sell the Contemporary Tower, and BAM!!! The price per point gets jacked up 40%...

They do not wait until one resort is sold out before selling the next. They just started selling VAKL today and are still selling SSR. VWL and BCV were both selling at the same time too. Also, you can purchase any DVC resort through Disney, not just the newest one. You might have to go on a waitlist and you won't get any discounts but you can do it. :wave:

MaxsDad

I thought the same thing regarding selling out SSR before marketing AKL, but the DVC Rep that called me last week said that AKL would go on sale in March. It will be interesting to see if that happens. I expect price increases too, but let's hope its single digits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom