Studios name change officially confirmed - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Gorjus

Some of you are really confusing me. For so many of you who say The Studios or AK is just a half day park for me. How is that different from any other Disney park. People come in and ask all the time where the rides are. I tell them going to WDW isn't about riding rides, it is about being immersed in another place and time and a fantasy.

MK has 3 thrill rides
Epcot has 3 thrill rides
Studios has 3 thrill rides
AK has 3 or 4 thrill rides

shoot, the water parks have more thrill rides than the theme parks.

If all you are interested is thrill rides, every park is only a half day park.

hrcollectibles

This would be the name of a land in a theme park, not for the freakin' park itself. It sounds so ridiculous... should have been Walt Disney Studios Florida/Orlando.

That is very close to Universal Studios Florida/Hollywood

This is proof that you can please some people some of the time but not all people all the time. I think that no matter what DIsney did there would be those of us that like it and those of us that do not. The only thing we can do is grin and bare it. There is nothing we can do but discuss our like/dislike of this n ame cange on this the WDWmagic Message boards. :brick:

SGT623

Some of you are really confusing me. For so many of you who say The Studios or AK is just a half day park for me. How is that different from any other Disney park. People come in and ask all the time where the rides are. I tell them going to WDW isn't about riding rides, it is about being immersed in another place and time and a fantasy.

MK has 3 thrill rides
Epcot has 3 thrill rides

Well said

hrcollectibles

Actually its all a part of YOAMD. Some random kid dreamed "I wish this park was called 'Disney's Hollywood Studios.'" And this is the result. I told you YOAMD was a bad idea!

Now, I'm loading up my guns and ammunition to blow that kid's brains out. Anyone wanna come?

This kid got a hold of Genie's Lamp.
:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

dxwwf3

Why just limit it to movies? The new name encompasses all facets of entertainment which has been the new direction of the park since ToT/RnRC.

I have to disagree. The park has ALWAYS been about all facets of entertainment and not just movies. Superstar Television, the radio studio that accompanied the Monster Sound Show, sound stages used for television programs, Residential Street with the Golden Girls and Empty Nest houses. RNRC might have been the first major attraction dealing with the music industry, but Tower of Terror was far from being one of the first based on television.

WDWFREAK53

MK has 3 thrill rides
Epcot has 3 thrill rides

shoot, the water parks have more thrill rides than the theme parks.

People aren't so much talking about thrill rides as much as they are talking about attractions worth revisiting.

I know if I go to the Studios when it opens...After I hit the handful of "must-sees" (for me it's, ToT, RnR, ST, Muppets, LMAX, GMR) I find myself wandering around trying to find something to do while we wait for Fantasmic to begin. (which is usually BnB, Voyage, One Man's Dream, or the Animation Tour) The Studios is the only park (now) that I'd consider a half-day park...the only thing that keeps me for the entire day is knowing that Fantasmic is capping off the night. So, instead...I sleep in on the "Studios day."

I know you can say that Everest is only one attraction and one attraction can't turn a half-day park into a full day park...but it really has for me. I think it's because it's a ride that I like so much that I'll revisit more than once in a day. The shows really add to the DAK experience too...and I think while you're in the Animal Kingdom, your day is more planned out for you to spread you through the park at a slower pace to lengthen the day. For instance...FotLK and Nemo...you need to plan for these "must-sees"...they are different from each other. LMAX and Indy are basically stunt shows...even though they are different...to me, one stunt show a day is enough.

Every park-goer has a different opinion...I don't see DAK as a half-day park...but others do. Some don't see the Studios as a half-day park...I do.

Toy Story Mania may help it like Everest did...who knows! Hopefully it will :) (Plus, with the rumored revamp of Star Tours...the Studios may have me waking up at the crack of dawn and staying until Mickey says, "Some imagination...Huh?" *POOF*

dave2822

Wow, I'm glad some of you guys aren't actually in charge of naming parks ... because some of the ideas thrown out there ... er ... :dazzle:

Anyways, if this means the Studios will encompass more attractions based on non-MGM movies, great. If this means the Studios is about to be heavily focused on, with another attraction being announced right after the completion of TSM, great. The name change? Works for me.

And if I told everyone they can call the park whatever they wish, will that make you feel better? You won't get in trouble, I won't tell :)

For me, its not that the Studios lacks e-tickets (though I still think one more would be helpful) ... the park just seems to lack a cohesive theme and structure. I could go to the other 3 parks and just walk around all day, and the atmosphere they give off would be enough for me; I don't feel that at the Studios. And, with AK's popularity and attendance rising, the Studios may very well be the park on the bottom of the WDW attendance totem pole this year, which means something is lacking. TSM and hopefully one additional attraction will greatly help the cause.

EMThompsen

I like the new name.
At least the Disney Corporation has a name that evokes something wonderful just by the name Disney. What would have upset me is if Corporate America got the naming rights. I live in Boston & there are so many venues that now have corporation names. For instance: The Tweeter Center…doesn’t that sound so much nicer then the original name: Great Woods Center For The Performing Arts. How about the Dunkin Donuts Center. Where in the world is that? Oh, that’s right! It used to be the Providence Civic Center. Recently a large bank in Boston wanted the naming rights to the Boston Opera House. The theatre would have become The Citizens Bank Theatre. Doesn’t that sound like a great place to see a show? So I think Disney Hollywood Studios really isn’t so bad.

erasure fan1

I dont think the name is that bad. Like some have said its so much better than Disney pixar studios or some of the other names thrown out. I think that the Hollywood will be what people end up dropping and most will just call it the Disney studios, or even just the studios. Lets just hope that a new name means a new image is coming for the park, not just TSM.

WDWFREAK53

I like the new name.
At least the Disney Corporation has a name that evokes something wonderful just by the name Disney. What would have upset me is if Corporate America got the naming rights. I live in Boston & there are so many venues that now have corporation names. For instance: The Tweeter Center…doesn’t that sound so much nicer then the original name: Great Woods Center For The Performing Arts. How about the Dunkin Donuts Center. Where in the world is that? Oh, that’s right! It used to be the Providence Civic Center. Recently a large bank in Boston wanted the naming rights to the Boston Opera House. The theatre would have become The Citizens Bank Theatre. Doesn’t that sound like a great place to see a show? So I think Disney Hollywood Studios really isn’t so bad.

Don't forget Harborlights...that's now the Bank of America Pavilion.

I liked when the did the "Name the Fleet Center" promotion :lol:

Which is now the TD Banknorth Garden. Whuh? :lol:

bgraham34

I was really hoping for Disney Pixar Studios but Hollywood studios is not that bad. I shall miss MGM. I have fond memories of the old girl.

Since1976

I wouldn't have minded "Disney-Pixar Studios," but that would have been confusing to first time visitors trying to find "Turtle Talk", "Nemo," and "Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor."

So good call by Disney on this one.

MiduraMagic4

I didnt read through this entire thread so I imagine its been said but the name change to me sounds like the beginning of a new direction for Disney. The Pixar name is cool but too narrowly scoped. POC has been huge for Disney and I have heard about a potential JC movie so possibly the PIxar is just part of their new direction in movie production. For the record Im not crazy about the name but anything is better tahn MGM. This will probably also help lead to some refurbs and more attention to what is in my opinion a very mediocre park....the worst of the major Disney parks by far.

EMThompsen

Don't forget Harborlights...that's now the Bank of America Pavilion.

I liked when the did the "Name the Fleet Center" promotion :lol:

Which is now the TD Banknorth Garden. Whuh? :lol:

I'm glad someone decided to call it Garden.
Now we can go back to calling it just The Gah-den ( you have to know the Boston accent to get that)

CaptainMichael

I have to disagree. The park has ALWAYS been about all facets of entertainment and not just movies. Superstar Television, the radio studio that accompanied the Monster Sound Show, sound stages used for television programs, Residential Street with the Golden Girls and Empty Nest houses. RNRC might have been the first major attraction dealing with the music industry, but Tower of Terror was far from being one of the first based on television.

Well, how many non-Disney fans know that those things existed??? I guarantee they all remember RnRC and ToT.

The Hollywood name is more fitting than MGM ever was. I look forward to the Hollywood mountain facade being made...the question is, where?

ooohhh....what if they had a ride in the Hollywood mountain?:drevil:

ClasikRok

The general consensus seems to be (and I totally agree)...

Its going to be hard getting used to not calling it MGM.

I'll probably refer to it as simply "The Studios."

Not particularly thrilled with "Disney Hollywood Studios," but its better than Disney-Pixar Studios."

Having said that...the one thing that I can say about the name change is it makes all of the rides/attractions fit the park. The name change makes the theming work. Now rides like Tower of Terror and Rock and Roller Coaster make sense as they are Hollywood themed, but not really old-Hollywood themed.

Can't wait to see wait other cool stuff they have in store for us!!!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom