Studios name change officially confirmed - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Damien666

Huh, I thought they were certain on "Disney-Pixar Studios." But instead they throw this outta left field!

Quite frankly I find the name pretty lame, when you say "Disney Hollywood Studios" it just doesn't roll off the tongue very good. It's much easier to say "MGM Studios", "Disney Studios" and even "Disney-Pixar Studios."

I'd say this was a pretty bad move, I'm still calling it MGM Studios since that's what I've always called it.

Oh yeah, I wonder how many CM's will have to face stupid Guest questions of Hollywood being in Flordia?

dxwwf3

The "Hollywood" in the name just provides an umbrella for including the work of other studios.

That really makes sense when you think about it. Now that the shock of the name has kind of wore off, I'm pleased with it. I probably would have preferred "Walt Disney World Studios" or "The Disney Studios", but I think the name will grow on most of us and does fit the theme of the park, at least much better than Disney-Pixar Studios would have.

brucie

I like the new name change.. We are used to Saying MGM because it has been disney MGM sicne day one. Lets say from day one they called it Disney Hollywood Studios and now they announce the name as Disney MGM studios??? Would those we be saying I like Disney Hollywood Studios better than MGM studios... ??? Looks like there will be a run on MGM merchandise...:ROFLOL:

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

Spyne

Wow, I did not expect this at all.

Well, I can't say whether I like the new name or not yet but it won't take long for me to get used to the name. I always called it "The Studios" most of the time anyway.

But I guess the name change is fitting, as MGM basically has no association with Disney anymore anyway.

hrcollectibles

Something seems very awkward and un-Disney about way they announced this name change. Was it really just by press release?

No big photo-op with Mickey and fireworks unveiling the new logo?

No new blockbuster attraction to go along with the announcement?

No new icon to brand the newly-named park?

It all seems very rushed and unplanned. Any marketing exec will tell you that if you're going to re-brand something, you need to do it up HUGE when you first announce it.

I'm guessing Disney's hand was forced on this announcement. Possibly MGM is about to announce they're breaking ties or maybe launch another MGM-themed project, so Disney wanted to beat them to the punch. Maybe some sort of trademark application is about to be submitted and Disney knew the secret would be out.

But my guess it has something to do with the supposed deadline for printing 2008 travel guides, which was part of the reason Disney started raising ticket prices in August instead of January. Birnbaum, Unofficial Guide, and all those other publications will certainly need to know long before January 2008 that an entire chapter of their books must be re-named. I can imagine someone at Disney probably realizing this very recently, rushing the announcement on someone else's terms, not Disney's.

I can see the Newest addition at Disney Hollywood Studios..
Gone si the hat and enter....
On the backlot tour.. instead of Catastrophy Canyon .. we now have a huge Mountain Facade of the famous HOLLYWOOD sign.. You heard it here first

:ROFLOL:

Musiker110

not a big fan of the name change and, looking at the weak list of attractions they claim is the reason for the name change, I'm not very impressed... will always be MGM to me.

NemoRocks78

Seized
This would be the name of a land in a theme park, not for the freakin' park itself. It sounds so ridiculous... should have been Walt Disney Studios Florida/Orlando.

tirian

This would be the name of a land in a theme park, not for the freakin' park itself. It sounds so ridiculous... should have been Walt Disney Studios Florida/Orlando.

Universal tried that, and it confused the public.

In Disney's case, I think that the word "Studios" should have been removed altogether, to avoid implying that it is still a functioning movie studio. "Disney's Hollywood" sounds classy.

Enchantâmes

All I can say is.. Thank God! I was dreading the whole Disney-pixar studios name but Disney's Hollywood Studios is much more acceptable, and appropriate except the studios part but oh well.

CaptainMichael

I think they needed to drop 'MGM', but not sure about the 'Hollywood' name. This is Florida after all, thousands of miles from L.A, I think it should have it's own identity. 'Disney's Movie Studios' park would have been more appropriate.
Let's have some other ideas!
Why just limit it to movies? The new name encompasses all facets of entertainment which has been the new direction of the park since ToT/RnRC.

So fear not, they aren't going to completely remove MGM's original theme completely, they are just going to make it more all-encompasing of Hollywood from its roots all the way to today.
It really ties the park together and finally gives it an identity again.

They also confirmed the Block Party Bash parade and Disney High School Musical 2: School’s Out! YaY!
Wow!!!*sarcasm* Wake me up when they announce some real changes...not just quick "fixes":hurl:

Have the gods no mercy?:(
Obviously not.:(

I'm happy there's no more MGM...:sohappy:
Me too:wave: I never saw the point of it personally. MGM did, still does, and still will get too much credit for a park they really had no responsibility for. People think it is a MGM park, not a Disney park and that gets on my nerves...The nickname "MGM" has always irked me:fork:

Worst. Name. Ever.
Nope.

imagineer boy

I can see the Newest addition at Disney Hollywood Studios..
Gone si the hat and enter....
On the backlot tour.. instead of Catastrophy Canyon .. we now have a huge Mountain Facade of the famous HOLLYWOOD sign.. You heard it here first

:ROFLOL:

Actually its all a part of YOAMD. Some random kid dreamed "I wish this park was called 'Disney's Hollywood Studios.'" And this is the result. I told you YOAMD was a bad idea!

Now, I'm loading up my guns and ammunition to blow that kid's brains out. Anyone wanna come?

Tom Morrow

While the new name isn't great, and will take quite a bit of getting used to, its MUCH better than the other ideas: Disney-Pixar Studios or Disney-ABC Studios. Disney Studios Florida would be ok, but, like a few posters mentioned, it sounds way too generic, especially when people already confuse MGM and Universal.

I think the name fits quite well for several reasons:
1. The park has always been a dedication to the fictional Hollywood, never the real Hollywood. Its going to remain this way by having new attractions but remaining the art deco 1930s "golden age of Hollywood" feel its always had. The press release stating that they will be celebrating "the new Hollywood" just seems like buzz words to get people interested.

2. By not limiting it to just Disney, Pixar, or ABC, the park can encompass all kinds of movies, not just Disney and Pixar. This drives away the fears that it was going to become Pixarland.

3. I forgot what my 3rd point was.

Some of you are complaining that the name doesn't flow well. But how many people actually call Animal Kingdom by its full name - Disney's Animal Kingdom - when speaking? None. Everyone always just says Animal Kingdom. The Disney's in front of it is just name branding.

In conversation, guests are going to refer to it as "Hollywood Studios", "the Studios", or maybe even "the Disney Studios." (but more than likely, 'MGM" for years to come!)

not a big fan of the name change and, looking at the weak list of attractions they claim is the reason for the name change, I'm not very impressed...
These attractions were planned anyway, not as any part of shift in the park's purpose. They're just trying to get you excited for the new name change, suggesting it'll be more than just a simple re-naming of the park.

Kind of like how for the Happiest Celebration on Earth, they just happened to list all the recent attractions from other parks as part of the celebration, when really they just convienently opened at the right time.

I'm really curious as to what the new logo will be.

IROC it

Well.... go figure.... a park that features High School Musical with the initials DHS.

Gimme a "D"

Gimme an "H"

Gimme an "S"

What's that spell?

Moooooore merchandising!:hammer:

Maybe they can get the old Back to the Future ride from UniStud's scrap heap. (not really... although I never got to ride it.)

And who knows, maybe they will try and place a talk show there, or a game show for real to validate the "Studios" part.

FWIW - I don't mind the change.

Order of the visits for me next: AK, EPCOT, MK, Hollyood <---that order only if it's a SW Weekend on the last day, which it has been so far for us.

Although the way it's been, we can knock out AK and (then)MGM in one day, so long as the late Fantasmic was on the schedule.

Enigma

Account Suspended
If enough people call refer to as Disney's Hollywood they will probably drop the dumb "Studios" part. Kind of like how in the 90s everyone called Epcot Center "epcot" and they droped the Center part (which was a mistake in my opinion) but in the case of Disney's Hollywood it would make sense.

There are rumors told by insiders that Disney wants to the park to have some "working studio" aspects...there were rumors they would have animators working on shorts live at the park. So the idea of the park being an actual production studio may still live.

haveyoumetmark

I think it's alright. A more dramatic namechange would have encompassed the complete removal of 'Studios' from the name. Disney's Hollywood sounds like a completely different park to me and a better name in general.

For all who say Disney Studios Florida would have confused people with Universal Studios Orlando... how is this not confusing...
Hollywood Studios
Universal Studios

I will probably just call the park Hollywood Studios... I feel no desire to be rebellious and say, "I'm going to keep calling it MGM just because"

I always abhored the MGM name, and I still do. MGM, bleh....
I really hope we will see the removal of the painful backlot tour in the coming years.

This was always my least favorite of the parks, maybe now it will get it's identity back at least. I'm not excited AT ALL for the new additions. Only for the Potatoe Head AA in the queue and maybe TSM, but other than that... no thanks.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Disneys Wonderful World of Empty Soundstages or Disneys half Day Park dosent have the same ring.

New name same limited attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom