Studios name change officially confirmed - Disney's Hollywood Studios

DABIGCHEEZ

Call it Disney whatever Studios... I don't care. Just invest some $$$ and provide some TLC with quality new products in addition to TSM.

wickedfan07

I think the name works. The Hollywood has to be in the name: The two Boulevards represent the "glitz and glam" of show business. Hollywood Boulevard is not built as a movie set; its built to represent a place. The Backlot, Streets of America, etc. are built to represent the studio aspect of show business. You have to have both in the name or it makes less sense. "The Disney Studios" makes the entire entrance area irrelevant. "Disney's Hollywood" is okay, but without the "Studio" in the name, a large number of people would get confused. Far more people than those who will be confused by the removal of "MGM".

So, bring on Disney's Hollywoo Studios!

DisneyDellsDude

I just wanted to chime in again really quickly. Since they are now saying that TSM will be opening in Summer of 08', E-Dew was right on that they must have had problems and are now opening later.

Stellajack

Disney Hollywood Studios

Disney MGM Studios will be renamed to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Seems a fitting name for the "Hollywood that never was and always will be"!

I think I like it, even though it's much easier to say 'MGM'. I guess we can always just say 'Studios'.:shrug:

Dr Albert Falls

Something seems very awkward and un-Disney about way they announced this name change. Was it really just by press release?

No big photo-op with Mickey and fireworks unveiling the new logo?

No new blockbuster attraction to go along with the announcement?

No new icon to brand the newly-named park?

It all seems very rushed and unplanned. Any marketing exec will tell you that if you're going to re-brand something, you need to do it up HUGE when you first announce it.

I'm guessing Disney's hand was forced on this announcement. Possibly MGM is about to announce they're breaking ties or maybe launch another MGM-themed project, so Disney wanted to beat them to the punch. Maybe some sort of trademark application is about to be submitted and Disney knew the secret would be out.

But my guess it has something to do with the supposed deadline for printing 2008 travel guides, which was part of the reason Disney started raising ticket prices in August instead of January. Birnbaum, Unofficial Guide, and all those other publications will certainly need to know long before January 2008 that an entire chapter of their books must be re-named. I can imagine someone at Disney probably realizing this very recently, rushing the announcement on someone else's terms, not Disney's.

TomorrowlandTyler

Something seems very awkward and un-Disney about way they announced this name change. Was it really just by press release?

No big photo-op with Mickey and fireworks unveiling the new logo?

No new blockbuster attraction to go along with the announcement?

No new icon to brand the newly-named park?

It all seems very rushed and unplanned. Any marketing exec will tell you that if you're going to re-brand something, you need to do it up HUGE when you first announce it.

Don't loose hope, I'm sure all of that will come in January.

AEfx

I'm sad because I am a fan of classic Hollywood and I find the MGM brand very personally appealing, but I understand why and am much, much happier with Disney's Hollywood Studios than I would have been had the rumored "Disney-Pixar" BS happened instead. It is a tiny bit generic for my tastes, but again, that's what they are going for and it's just personal preference that I will miss the actual MGM brand.

However, ain't nothin' gonna stop me from calling it MGM, and abbreviating it as such, until the day I die. I'm sure it will annoy the hell out of many people for years to come, but I'll be damned if I'm going to talk about the RnR or the GMR over at "DHS". That's almost as bad as Laugh Floor's abbreviation. At least the latter is amusing, "DHS" is just depressing LOL.

AEfx

DisneyRoxMySox

To be honest, I am not really a fan of the new name. I've been calling it The Studios for years, so that isn't going to change. I would have liked The Walt Disney Studios as well. But what can ya do? :rolleyes:

ryguy

At least Pixar is actually part of Disney, I could see the rational behind the Pixar name since Disney just spent a bunch of money purchasing the company. To me Hollywood just doesn't fit, sounds corny. I sure hope the new attractions there adding are better than the new name. :shrug: RIP MGM

EMThompsen

Eww... Hollywood Studios??.... ewww.

I mean... Orlando is 2,514 miles away from Hollywood... and its not even a functional studio. Ugh... whatever. I will still call it mgm.

I think using the word Hollwood is more of a reference to the illusion rather than the actual location. Everything in entertainment is an illusion...including many of the smiles on cm's faces..especially after a long long hot day
Oh &...
Does calling it MGM make it a functioning studio?

Epcot82Guy

Interesting announcement. I never saw this one coming either, but I think this may bring more harm than good.

First, DPS would have really limited the attractions, in my opinion. It would have made the focus on those marketable franchises only, and that would be bad. This is really much more broad yet limited.

Second, going along with this, I think that WDW is the ONLY place that could have a Hollywood-oriented theme park. California wouldn't work too well because the real thing is just down the street (sort of like the idea behind no Pirates at WDW, except, Hollywood IS in our time period). Having said that, the allure of Hollywood entertainment has really been iconic in American culture. While the rest of the world certainly appreciates it, I think it makes much more sense for an American park where the culture evokes images to just about every member of the public. So, that left Disney-MGM as the only place a Hollywood named and themed park would work.

All of that considered, I am looking forward to what this may bring. I personally like the "Disney Studios" name a bit more, but I think people would still associate it with a working studio then. This separates it a little bit and treats it more like a park, a celebration of Hollywood.

I also think this limits (in a good way) the themes they are working off of, so the sections of the park can be more specifically deliniated. You have the glitz of modern HOllywood down Hollywood Blvd., the old glamour of Hollywood down Sunset Blvd., Feature Animation on Animation Ct. and Pixar Place, a living set of City St./Streets of America.

All you are left with is a good backstory for the Lucas area which could easily be added to for action films/special effects (I like the latter), and then the Echo Lake shores. Well, we have one major area left: Television, and, low and behold, you have the ABC theater there and the 50's Prime Time Cafe which really draws much of its inspiration from 50's sitcoms.

Finally, the backlot gets scrapped to be replaced with an expansion area, or gets changed into a new style of attraction.

Seems like a pretty easy transition for those areas, and they all now directly relate to the celebration of the memory, the makings, and the magic of Hollywood (or some other tag line relating to the how, was, and is of Hollywood).

Just my $0.02, of course.

diddy_mouse

Hmmm...

Definitely an interesting choice. Slightly unimaginative to me, but interesting nonetheless. I'm wondering if this official name change is the start of taking The Studios in a new direction. Which is something the park desperately needs.

We shall see what January brings...:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom