Stitch's Supersonic Celebration set to close

jt04

Agreed. We need a legitimate Toontown. but to say that we didn't get one because Eisner was evil and didn't want one is off the mark IMO. You are always saying how the other parks need to be helped before MK, well Eisner had 2 brand new parks open underneath him that needed help before a full-fledged Toontown could be finished.

Where did I say Eisner was evil?

It could be argued that DHS and Epcot should have been fully developed before AK was built. I truly believe the lull in building major additions at WDW has to do with the fact that they face critical decisions and they want to get it just right. Just one of the problems they face is making AK a park that can stay open until at least early evening everyday. But the problems are complex and I think probably won't be fully solved until WDW's 50th anniversary.

SirGoofy

Where did I say Eisner was evil?

It could be argued that DHS and Epcot should have been fully developed before AK was built. I truly believe the lull in building major additions at WDW has to do with the fact that they face critical decisions and they want to get it just right. Just one of the problems they face is making AK a park that can stay open until at least early evening. But the problems are complex and I think probably won't be fully solved until WDW's 50th anniversary.

:lol:

I wasn't saying you were, it's just the general attitude towards ME.

I'd like to think you are right about the critical decisions, but there are things that they have done that are inexcusable in my book. DAK could have easily been a night park if Beastly was given the go ahead one of the many times it was on the table. And then there is MK. It is idiotic IMO that the flagship park of the resort has gone without a new E-ticket for almost 20 years. Two decades without an E-ticket when you have the space and the need for it is no where near a good business strategy.

Buried20KLeague

1) Just another failure to add to the long list of Imagineering blunders.
2) Examples:
. . . poor concept and under built California Adventure
. . . under built Animal Kingdom
. . . under built Hong Kong
. . . under built MGM Studios
. . . poor concept and placement Disney Paris (never made a dime)
. . . poor concept and under built Studios Paris
. . . Pooh playground
. . . Everest (Yeti still not working)
. . . American Idol
. . . Stitch ride
. . . Stitch show
. . . etc

DLP isn't poor in concept at ALL. In fact, I believe it to be the most lavish "MK Style" park in the world... And at the time was spared no expense. Location makes all the sense in the world, as well. Similar to what they did in Florida, DLP is off the beaten path, making land acquisition much easier, and I'm pretty sure it afforded them the ability to create their own infrastructure the way they wanted it.

As for never making a dime... That's a bad rap the resort gets because of its poor start. It's now the second largest tourist attraction in France (can't recall the first), and DOES make money.

I don't mind your list of "failures"... To each their own. But DLP is not one. In fact, it should be what all "MK Style" parks aspire to be in design and execution. Tokyo included. (TDL, not TDS)

Disney's budgets were effected world wide to funnel more money into development of DLRP, and it shows.

SirGoofy

DLP isn't poor in concept at ALL. In fact, I believe it to be the most lavish "MK Style" park in the world... And at the time was spared no expense. Location makes all the sense in the world, as well. Similar to what they did in Florida, DLP is off the beaten path, making land acquisition much easier, and I'm pretty sure it afforded them the ability to create their own infrastructure the way they wanted it.

As for never making a dime... That's a bad rap the resort gets because of its poor start. It's now the second largest tourist attraction in France (can't recall the first), and DOES make money.

I don't mind your list of "failures"... To each their own. But DLP is not one. In fact, it should be what all "MK Style" parks aspire to be in design and execution. Tokyo included. (TDL, not TDS)

Disney's budgets were effected world wide to funnel more money into development of DLRP, and it shows.

Agreed. DLP and TDS are testaments of what WDI can do if they are given free reign and the money that they need.

Now if we could just get a Jungle Cruise in DLP, it would be complete.:lookaroun

dxwwf3

And then there is MK. It is idiotic IMO that the flagship park of the resort has gone without a new E-ticket for almost 20 years. Two decades without an E-ticket when you have the space and the need for it is no where near a good business strategy.

:sohappy:

I would consider the New Tomorrowland addition in 94/95 to be more than an E-ticket, but everything great about that is now gone.

Animaniac93-98

Birthdayland opened some 5 years before Toontown at Disneyland. Criticize the failure to renovate it properly when Toontown Fair came along, not when or why it was first built (and there wouldn't have been a Toontown without Birthdayland) or even the conversion to Starland as a result of the place begin a success, whihc also predates Toontown.

Also DLP is the most visited tourist attraction in Europe, it's failure to make money was because of the 6 overpriced hotels and no one wanting to buy merch. It's a fantastic park and liked by the Europeans. WDSPP on the other hand...

SirGoofy

:sohappy:

I would consider the New Tomorrowland addition in 94/95 to be more than an E-ticket, but everything great about that is now gone.

I just don't get it. It baffles me how they can let the park stagnate like they have. When they did it at Disneyland, the people were about to go all Frankenstein villager on their butts. But since WDW "doesn't have" a loyal fanbase, we get stuck with a park that is stale and in need of major refurbs.

WDSPP on the other hand...

The Studios over there seem to be getting better. It's still not a Disney level park, but it's getting help.

jt04

:lol:

I wasn't saying you were, it's just the general attitude towards ME.

I'd like to think you are right about the critical decisions, but there are things that they have done that are inexcusable in my book. DAK could have easily been a night park if Beastly was given the go ahead one of the many times it was on the table. And then there is MK. It is idiotic IMO that the flagship park of the resort has gone without a new E-ticket for almost 20 years. Two decades without an E-ticket when you have the space and the need for it is no where near a good business strategy.

I keep saying it but those problems date back to a different time. Things are changing. One of the reasons I say this is the Blue Sky Disney web site. Everything he has said is happening, including the announcement today that the DL hotel is getting a total rework. He mentioned that well over a year ago. He has also insisted that some of what you see happening at DLR is coming to WDW but that will be in the future. That is not the only site saying it but he is the most reliable. But like I said, it's going to take at least 10 years to fix all the problems at WDW.

That is part of ME's legacy too.

Animaniac93-98

The Studios over there seem to be getting better. It's still not a Disney level park, but it's getting help.

Indeed, the street next to ToT is cool and I'd like to ride that Nemo coaster, but opening the place with a whopping 9 shows/rides/attractions and no AAs, body of water or full service restauarnt made it a land not an entire park.

dxwwf3

I just don't get it. It baffles me how they can let the park stagnate like they have. When they did it at Disneyland, the people were about to go all Frankenstein villager on their butts. But since WDW "doesn't have" a loyal fanbase, we get stuck with a park that is stale and in need of major refurbs.

We need to start making trips to City Hall, like I did on this last trip. While I praised the refurbs of Space Mountain, HoP, and TTA, I also let it be known that this park is no longer the family park it was designed to be. Unless it's character based and aimed mainly for a younger audience, it isn't going anywhere near that park. Disneyland isn't getting original attractions either, but at least they are getting better quality additions.

I know it is different audiences, but an attraction like the Indiana Jones Adventure would never fly in our present day MK and that's sad. The Indy attraction uses a pre-existing character, but it created an entirely new storyline around it, very much like the Twilight Zone influence with Tower of Terror. I don't even see those attractions as using a preexisting IP because they are so original in their storylines.

Buried20KLeague

Indeed, the street next to ToT is cool and I'd like to ride that Nemo coaster, but opening the place with a whopping 9 shows/rides/attractions and no AAs, body of water or full service restauarnt made it a land not an entire park.

that park is pretty sad. Crush's coaster is my wife's favorite ride in any Disney park in the world, and their version of ToT is the "light" version like Cali. Meh.

Their Rockin' Roller Coaster... LOVE it much more than WDW's. The stage lighting and fog and everything is much better than painted plywood cut outs. But the pre-show was bad. Can't beat WDW's.

But it's just so tiny. And if it's possible, their backstage tram tour is worse that WDW's, too!!! :lol:

SirGoofy

We need to start making trips to City Hall, like I did on this last trip. While I praised the refurbs of Space Mountain, HoP, and TTA, I also let it be known that this park is no longer the family park it was designed to be.

They won't listen to me, I work there.:lol:

imagineer boy

I think they are closing it because when I was there the crowd boooood

That is awesome. :lol:

that park is pretty sad. Crush's coaster is my wife's favorite ride in any Disney park in the world, and their version of ToT is the "light" version like Cali. Meh.

Their Rockin' Roller Coaster... LOVE it much more than WDW's. The stage lighting and fog and everything is much better than painted plywood cut outs. But the pre-show was bad. Can't beat WDW's.

But it's just so tiny. And if it's possible, their backstage tram tour is worse that WDW's, too!!! :lol:

Yeah, its just a random mumbo jumbo of rides with some vague studio themeing to make the stuff look like it fits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom