Stitch's Great Escape TEST RUN!

PhotoDave219

NemoRocks78 said:
I also don't seem to understand why we must be criticized for our own opinions on the attraction....I don't come out here and sumbit posts criticizing one for not liking Journey Into Imagination with Figment or The Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management just because I liked it and they didn't......
I'm not going to get into a public debate with you, suffice to say I'll phrase it this way. The more you continue to reinforce your opinion on this attraction, which is very similar to your review of the attraction, The more I lose respect for your opinion. Its that simple.

As for criticism.... if youre going to be critical about a ride and then cannot defend your opinions when someone criticizes them, then dont criticize it in the first place. Im not going to criticize someone for expressing their opinion in a constructive manner, but when someone posts "I think a 13 year old will find it boring" and cant back up their opinion with supporting facts, then it seems quite unconstructive in the first place.

Of course, thats just my opinion....

kodakcastmember

Original Poster
foxfire said:
I found the shoulder restraints applied a bit too much pressure for me when Stitch bounced around the room.
I TOTALLY agree. It kinda hurt. In the future, I will stop the restraint with my hands before it reaches my shoulders to keep it from hurting in the future.

Jekyll

kodakcastmember said:
I TOTALLY agree. It kinda hurt. In the future, I will stop the restraint with my hands before it reaches my shoulders to keep it from hurting in the future.

sit up a bit and they will not hurt! :animwink: :animwink:

DonnieDarko

Meega Na La Kareesta

First of all, I am a huge Alien Encounter fanatic. I own every piece of merchandise associated with the attraction and it is one the things I miss most in life, such as Horizons and Dreamflight. I was saddened greatly by it's passing and went to one of the last shows where I gave a standing ovation. Having said that, myself and Djali999, of this same forum, attended previews for the first time 3 days ago. We both were very skeptical and afraid about what we would soon witness. We chanted, "Please don't let it suck" as we waited to go into the building.

The first preshow video did not help much as it contained some of the most ridiculous dialogue ever uttered in a Disney attraction. The animation also wasn't too impressive. We entered the second preshow and got our first look at Skippy and Sergeant Richard Kind. The whole preshow served no purpose and we were soon warned of the arrival of Stitch and herded into the main show room. At this point we had already had several moments where we turned to each other in utter disbelief of what was unfolding.

The main show was just as baffling, albeit eventful. However, the special effects immediately impressed both of us. The main show incorporated several effects that were attempted in AE but never worked until now. It is clear that the main show had a lot of money and thought put into it. When we exited, all we could agree on was that we just went on one of the most amazingly random attractions ever. Joining the ranks of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in DL and Buzz Lightyear's AstroBlasters in TDL. We both immediately called friends and family to discuss the attraction and spent all of lunch, Mansion, and Pirates discussing it. It soon became apparent that we didn't know what to make of it but one thing was clear, we had to go on it again.

This second time through we found the first preshow hysterically entertaining. It is very brisk, easy for a two year old to understand, and accomplishes nothing except spouting dialogue and gags that produce a varied reaction in the audience. It is not entirely successful but it effectively lays the groundwork for the main show in a very short time period. It also establishes the silly and irreverent tone to follow.

Preshow number 2 is entirely different from its AE counterpart, tonally and technically. The Sarge is not merely S.I.R. with a new hat and pillow on his stomach. He far outpaces the (still impressive) S.I.R. animatronic in many respects. Skippy is mainly decoration, however even that figure has been spruced up and his noises are a pleasing reminder of AE. It's also nice to be able to admire him without afterward having to witness his murder. The other felon alien that occupies the second tube is amazingly expressive and fluid even in the short duration of his role.

Djali and myself believe that those who dislike the attraction came to that conclusion during this preshow, which is understandable, as it serves no apparent purpose. Many children who begin screaming on this attraction begin to do so at the conclusion of the preshow. There is a lot of panic, flashing lights, and loud shouting in the last few minutes of the preshow. Up to this point there has been absolutely no mention of Stitch other than the fact that a "level 3" prisoner is on the way. This worries many young children as they have no way of knowing that this "level 3" is in fact Stitch. Unlike AE, everything up to Stitch being teleported in is on a "timer" and the feel of being rushed is very effective. This is why children are frightened of this attraction going into the main show.

The main show is a textbook example of what imagineering can do given free reign and proper funding. It’s practically impossible for you to remember that you are watching an animatronic figure on the podium. Stitch is the BEST figure that imagineering has ever done, including Lucky the Dinosaur, Wicked Witch ala GMR, and Hopper from DCA. He moves every bit as fluidly as the figures in Sinbad at TDS. He is the pinnacle of imagineering art as it stands today. So are the plasma cannons. So are the lighting effects. So are the tactile effects. We would go as far to say that the main chamber of this attraction is as visually detailed, technically inventive, and genuinely delightful as the crown jewels of the imagineering enterprise; Pirates, Mansion, Indy, Tower, Splash. In fact it is so rich in visual effects that many fly by so quickly, they barely register the first several times. Djali and I agree that the attraction is so dense that there is no way that anyone can form a concrete opinion based one viewing alone.

It is understandable that people are reacting badly to this attraction. We reacted badly to it the first time as well. In fact several of these posts bring up valid points about the attraction. No, it does not go anywhere. Yes, it has no ending. Yes, it is difficult to latch on to the tone the first go through (something that imagineering usually excels at). But, the attraction deserves more serious consideration than many are going to give it. We cannot stop talking about this attraction. We also can’t stop riding it either. Collectively, we have ridden it 10 times in 2 days. We will frantically phone one another with any and all updates regarding its preview schedule in hopes of more rides.

We believe that the attraction is not centered around a main “forward thrust” but that its many delightful charms are in small moments and gags. The Sarge is so bored with his job that he talks to his wife on the phone and impatiently mimics the computer countdown to teleportation on his fingers. When notified of the incoming “level 3”, all three figures in the preshow momentarily flail about in panic. During a power failure, the plasma cannons droop limply, swinging back and forth (remember- these are huge and dangerous animated props that in several moments are only a few feet above guest’s heads. The view from below them is heart stopping).

Stitch cheerily waves good-bye as he is teleported away. His announcement of “Meega Na La Kreesta” early in the show is intentionally hilariously over the top, complete with flashing lights and rising smoke. We find that to be one of the highlights of the attraction. After Gantu leaves the guests alone with Stitch, you are witness to among the most beautiful three-dimensional character animation ever attempted as he taunts the plasma cannons.

We have other favorite moments as well but it would be frankly too exhaustive to list them all here. Stitch’s Great Escape, for the two of us, generates more genuine delight than many of the other attractions on property. Its re-watchability eclipses that of Mission Space.

It is true that you may not share our unique sense of humor and it is true that in many areas the attraction can be a bit rocky. The bouncing restraint effect is not as effectively used as it was in AE and the effect is somewhat botched as a result. The on screen animation can be awkward and it was foolish of Disney to not take this attraction into consideration when they dissolved the traditional animation department, but we are not going to open that can of worms. But, the attraction is wise in that it does not attempt to do what AE did so effectively. It’s a whole different bird. Or alien. Pun. It succeeds at what it set out to do, which is utter chaos. And it grows on you in kind of a funny way.

It is disconcerting that many people are calling this attraction out without having given it a fair chance. It is certainly not Alien Encounter and it is certainly not what many people probably expect, casual tourists and aficionados alike. It is a bold attraction in that it has enough faith in itself and it’s creators to not stop for a second as it rockets you through its illogical and insane universe. This can be viewed as a handicap but we view it as an unexpected but welcome surprise. At least in that way it is remarkably similar to Chris Sanders film on which it was based.

It does not dumb down nor take away the edge of what the space was designed to be used for. Neither does it go to the extreme of cuteness or “zaniness”. It’s just about right. As much as imagineering was touting a more friendly take on the attraction the simple fact remains that Disney attractions DO frighten children, HAVE frightened children, and will CONTINUE to frighten children. Everyone reacts to things differently, children included. Imagineering was in a no win situation short of gutting the building. Those children that react badly appear to be in the minority. We heard one young boy say “Stitch….” in total amazement when the figure appeared. Reactions like that remind us what Disney magic actually means. It must be noted that every time we went through the attraction the crowd reacted increasingly well suggesting repeat visitors.

It is way too early to close the book on this attraction. It deserves consideration and is not going anywhere anytime soon. With all the opinions being expressed on this board, Djali and I feel that, considering ourselves two hard won fans, we would simply like to make the other opinion known. You do not have to agree with us but we have been writing this thing for 90 minutes now so it’s evident that we feel strongly about this attraction. J And that my friends, is our defense!

Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back and to the left.

Djali999

The Rumors You Hear On the Internets Are True!

And yes, DonnieDarko and I have actually just dedicated two hours of our lives to writing the above epic defense of SGE. Thought I'd just make a note of that as it was Darko's inauspicous posting debut on WDWMagic and we both thought it'd look kind of funny if this mysterious person, having never before posted, appeared to have suddenly collaborated with me on such a lengthy reply, I figgured I'd just stop the "Is he trustworthy?" talk before it started.

It's legit, folks. =) Well, perhaps not our opinions, but the post. =P

Djali999

Last we heard, a plasma cannon got broken and they will be fixing / adjusting the attraction until, at most recent notice, Friday. By Friday it should open with the park and go 'till closing. That's the word as of yesterday. It could change at any time. Darko will check tomorrow...

Langdonj

No testing Tuesday

I was there Tuesday for MNSSHP, which they let in at 4, and there was no testing. A lady walked out of the area with an orange MNSSHP T-shirt who said she didn't expect anything that day. She said there were "ladders up all over the place." I will try again Friday based on the broken cannon update.

SANDKRUSER

Good job with the post Darko!! I agree that the more you ride it, the better it will be. We only went twice, but I enjoyed it much more and heard a lot more of the comments and jokes the second time around. The AA are spectacular. I think it will be something that grows on the "stuck in the middle" group. Actually, it took a few times for me to appreciate AE too.

As for age groups - my son just turned 16 and he LOVED it! Of course, it helps to be a die-hard Stitch fan - as I've said before, he thinks Stitch is the best character Disney ever created. (He's too young to appreciate the classics like his parents!)

By the look of the crowds waiting to get in, I think it will be a hit. I also hung around in the gift shop and listened to the comments being made and I didn't hear anything negative, most kids were jumping up and down and talking about it. (Of course, this was AFTER the ride was over.)

Legacy

With how confusing the reviews had been prior to me checking just now... I have to say one thing.

Thank you to both DonnieDarko (great name) and Djali. I was kinda iffy on how successful this attraction would be, and you have just provided the best case that it may be better than we all gave it credit for...

DDuckFan130

DonnieDarko and Djali have done an excellent job in persuading us that this attraction is worth seeing, and worth seeing more than once :lol:. I will be at MK on Saturday, November 13, and I really hope that I get to experience the attraction then :sohappy:. MK CM's, keep us posted on the status of soft openings and such. You all are doing a fabulous job in keeping us informed :wave:.

CTXRover

DonnieDarko and Djali, wonderful review! That is the best case yet for the attraction that it is better than quite a few are giving it. Very thoughtful and insightful. I would only hope that those who thought so negatively upon it at first give it another try as both of you did. One thing that could be affecting people's opinions is that, given pics I've seen, it still has the basic look of AE and uses most of the same effects, but in a different way. When you come to expect one thing its always difficult to accept something else right away, especially considering how similar SGE is to AE in format, yet drastically different enough to be its own show. This re-excited my hopes for SGE. Given what people say happens in SGE, knowing what AE did and that most of those effects re-used in SGE, and knowing that there are also new effects, like the unanimously agreed upon impressive AA of Stitch, the plasma guns, and addition of smell, I just couldn't imagine what would make it so awful. Thanks again for the great review!

Dj Corona

Rode it on Monday (the 24th), at about 2:30 - 3:00, if the time frame helps anybody. And yes, one of the plasma guns wasn't working right.

kodakcastmember

Original Poster
DDuckFan130 said:
DonnieDarko and Djali have done an excellent job in persuading us that this attraction is worth seeing, and worth seeing more than once :lol:. I will be at MK on Saturday, November 13, and I really hope that I get to experience the attraction then :sohappy:. MK CM's, keep us posted on the status of soft openings and such. You all are doing a fabulous job in keeping us informed :wave:.
In my personal opinion, even though I have heard no official news on soft openings, it wouldn't seem too far of a stretch of the imagination for you to get in on the 13th considering that it is only 3 days from officially opening. I would think that unless there is something wrong with it that they have to fix on that day, you probably will get an opportunity to experience the attraction. Just keep your eyes peeled, and go through that area of Tomorrowland several times throughout the day. If it does not appear to be open, you may want to talk to any cast members in the area. Good luck! Be sure to get your pictures taken by Kodak in ToonTown and on Main street when you are there! :lol: Sorry for the shameless plug. hehehe

DDuckFan130

kodakcastmember said:
In my personal opinion, even though I have heard no official news on soft openings, it wouldn't seem too far of a stretch of the imagination for you to get in on the 13th considering that it is only 3 days from officially opening. I would think that unless there is something wrong with it that they have to fix on that day, you probably will get an opportunity to experience the attraction. Just keep your eyes peeled, and go through that area of Tomorrowland several times throughout the day. If it does not appear to be open, you may want to talk to any cast members in the area. Good luck! Be sure to get your pictures taken by Kodak in ToonTown and on Main street when you are there! :lol: Sorry for the shameless plug. hehehe
Thanks kodak :wave:.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom