Star Wars Weekends discontinued at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tigger1988

There is no branding issue. It's a personal gripe trying to be legitimized as a corporate issue. Here are some past quotes so you understand where @asianway is coming from:
It's funny. I've quite literally never heard a bad thing about the 501st except from that poster. Wonder if they rejected his costume or something. So bitter over a group that does so much good and keeps their collective nose clean.

Ignohippo

It's funny. I've quite literally never heard a bad thing about the 501st except from that poster. Wonder if they rejected his costume or something. So bitter over a group that does so much good and keeps their collective nose clean.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. The 501st is incredibly strict that all costumes have to be 100% accurate.

Disney isn't going to pay to have 200 costumed characters walking around. It's nothing but a huge benefit (and to me personally, one of the biggest draws) to have them involved with Star Wars Weekends.

Not sure why @asianway has such a huge problem with it.

Ignohippo

You're probably right, however to have a multi billion dollar corporation not know what they're planning 11 months out is a bit hard to believe. Even in our own households, aside from unexpected emergencies, we typically will save and plan for major work and changes. Or, am I the odd ball planning my finances out like that? Do most folk just say "it's time for a new roof", or "we're remodeling the kitchen, now!" all without planing and saving?

They've known all along. You think Season Of The Force was going to happen along with Star Wars Weekends?! Season Of The Force was created to be its cheap replacement the entire time.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They've known all along. You think Season Of The Force was going to happen along with Star Wars Weekends?! Season Of The Force was created to be its cheap replacement the entire time.

I understand short term this is a bit of a let down for some...but you do realize they are building us a Star Wars Land, right? Which is about a million times better than SWW.

Last edited:

rucifee

I understand short term this is a bit of a let down for some...but you do realize they are building us a Star Wars Land, right? Which is about a million times better than SWW.

In the interim, people can just get over it because TWDC does no wrong. :)

wannabeBelle

I dunno...what do you do now for the 350 days of the year when SWW is not occurring?
Other stuff of course, but without the addition of new experiences and possibly even more closures which are looming on the horizon, I don't think this would be a park I would spend a lot of time in. I understand that the construction could be very problematic to having any kind of special event of that magnitude, but the park should still be kept interesting for those who are visiting, both long time fans and newbies alike. Marie

rucifee

Other stuff of course, but without the addition of new experiences and possibly even more closures which are looming on the horizon, I don't think this would be a park I would spend a lot of time in. I understand that the construction could be very problematic to having any kind of special event of that magnitude, but the park should still be kept interesting for those who are visiting, both long time fans and newbies alike. Marie

With as much as they will have under construction, it would make sense to cut the price of admission to HS significantly or even close the park altogether next year. There just isn't going to be a lot of room for people to spread out there. Driving people out of that park could be why they cancelled SWW.

asianway

My, you'd think I was gloating or something.

Disney is going to protect the brand much more than Lucas ever did. I don't have a problem with the 501st except for them appearing in a Disney Park(tm). I may have not even had a problem with that if they weren't right along side Disney's version of the same characters. Last time you'll hear about them from me. Now, I would love to know what written agreements exist and when they might expire for their continued use on global basis. Or was it a handshake agreement?

MKCP 1985

For what it is worth, I first attended a Star Wars Weekend about 3 years ago and it was a great time with big enthusiastic crowds. A friend visited this past year for the first time and thought it was wonderful.

@Andrew C asks if Star Wars Land is not better than Star Wars weekends, and my response would be that Star Tours has already been in the park for many years but when Star Wars Weekends are going on, the whole area is enhanced in a positive way. I'm sad to hear the special event has been canceled even before the land area will be ready to open.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hey i agree with you...DHS is approaching joke status but there was no chance of them announcing the closure of SWW before they announced the new Star Wars Land. That would have kinda tipped their hat before D23.

As for the the new thread...Haunted Mansion store, new shops at Disney Springs, NFL (depends on how new you're talking), Tangled bathrooms (I kiiid, I kiiid). Not all gems but you asked, I answered.

I'm not being snarky here, I did start a thread to collect all the new stuff in the WDW general, I'd like to have a place where we can keep track of new things at WDW

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
For what it is worth, I first attended a Star Wars Weekend about 3 years ago and it was a great time with big enthusiastic crowds. A friend visited this past year for the first time and thought it was wonderful.

@Andrew C asks if Star Wars Land is not better than Star Wars weekends, and my response would be that Star Tours has already been in the park for many years but when Star Wars Weekends are going on, the whole area is enhanced in a positive way. I'm sad to hear the special event has been canceled even before the land area will be ready to open.

I guess I just see that there are a lot more positives happening here than negatives that are Star Wars specific.

Short Term: Launch Bay, additional scene to Star Tours, Season of the Force with new fireworks (at least), updated Jedi Academy.

Long Term: Star Wars Land by around 2019 with 2 major attractions (and I am sure other experiences, M&G's, etc).

With a total transformation of DHS, you have to be naive not to expect some inconveniences to occur during the transformation. As I mentioned, I do get the fact that this is a disappointment in the short term for those that attend SWW. I just think in the long term, it is going to be worth it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My, you'd think I was gloating or something.

Disney is going to protect the brand much more than Lucas ever did. I don't have a problem with the 501st except for them appearing in a Disney Park(tm). I may have not even had a problem with that if they weren't right along side Disney's version of the same characters. Last time you'll hear about them from me. Now, I would love to know what written agreements exist and when they might expire for their continued use on global basis. Or was it a handshake agreement?

Why is the 501st different then any other outside talent Disney hires?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think people are missing the main point here.

This is Disney just stopping ONE PRODUCT - SWW. It's not like Disney is saying "no more star wars events"

You'd be a loon to think Disney isn't going to be using DHS as a 'home base' for many many Star Wars events in the future. This is just the closure of one product... to make way for other new ideas.

The current product of concentrated SW merchandise and M&Gs doesn't necessarily fit the new DHS build out. They'll be announcing other things to try to draw fans in and events to cooincide with other events (think movie premiers, etc).

As one door closes.. another opens.

rucifee

I had a great time at Seaworld. We even went back 2 more times to enjoy attractions in the evening after the rest of our day.

Now if you are the type that goes 3-50 times a year like some people seem to do at Disney... maybe your needs differ.

I visit all of the parks multiple times a year, SeaWorld is a great park and it holds its own compared to any of Disney's parks except for Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom