Star Wars Weekends discontinued at Disney's Hollywood Studios

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is the problem with the Imagineers, or is that they aren't being given enough freedom and money?

It's my view that the Imagineers are not given freedom OR money these days and they do what we all do they do the best job they can with the available resources. Take a look at Tokyo, Everything there is designed by the same WDI that does WDW the difference is OLC gives them money and freedom. Unlike Burbank which says cut the budget to the bone and then cut 50% from that.

Ignohippo

I think people are missing the main point here.

This is Disney just stopping ONE PRODUCT - SWW. It's not like Disney is saying "no more star wars events"

You'd be a loon to think Disney isn't going to be using DHS as a 'home base' for many many Star Wars events in the future. This is just the closure of one product... to make way for other new ideas.

The current product of concentrated SW merchandise and M&Gs doesn't necessarily fit the new DHS build out. They'll be announcing other things to try to draw fans in and events to cooincide with other events (think movie premiers, etc).

As one door closes.. another opens.

Agreed, but I'll say it again: There is entirely too much money to be made by having this type of annual event.

They may not have the capacity during construction to be able to handle the event, and they may not need it the few years after SW Land opens, but you can almost guarantee this type of event will be back eventually.

Ignohippo

I understand short term this is a bit of a let down for some...but you do realize they are building us a Star Wars Land, right? Which is about a million times better than SWW.

Well, we're still years away from that and I'll very much miss the celebrity meet and greets, the on-stage presentations, the motorcade and the 501st.

As great as SW Land will be, there is still a place for this kind of event.

righttrack

Enough said.

I look forward to walking through something like this during any time of the year and not just select weekends.
8_15_WDI_010-1024x635.jpg

Me too, but imagine how crowds will be for this. They will dwarf Frozen in ways unimaginable. They can't make this big enough. I waited hours to get into Darth's Mall during SWW just to buy some tchotckes. With the movie coming out and an entire generation of children who have never had the experience, it's going to be hard to contain it all in this small space.

Spike-in-Berlin

Well I have to confess, although I am quite a Star Wars geek I am not that disappointed. With the huge Star Wars Land coming, there will surely be lots of M+G with Star Wars characters in the new land, a kind of permanent Darth Mall, and who knows perhaps even a daily parade? I will not miss the parade of the SWW as they were quite erm funny with FEMALE imperial staff and CMs who did not exactly look great in their very spacious uniforms.

righttrack

Well I have to confess, although I am quite a Star Wars geek I am not that disappointed. With the huge Star Wars Land coming, there will surely be lots of M+G with Star Wars characters in the new land, a kind of permanent Darth Mall, and who knows perhaps even a daily parade? I will not miss the parade of the SWW as they were quite erm funny with FEMALE imperial staff and CMs who did not exactly look great in their very spacious uniforms.

They can do this now though. How hard is it? Get the characters in the parks, permanently. Get a character meal together, now.

wannabeBelle

They can do this now though. How hard is it? Get the characters in the parks, permanently. Get a character meal together, now.
Exactly so!!! Again keeping things fresh and interesting for your guests even during the major construction this is going to be. HS is one of my favorite parks and I want to see it get some love even with the closures that for operational purposes have to be closed to allow for the construction. It can be done. I hope it will be! Marie

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agreed, but I'll say it again: There is entirely too much money to be made by having this type of annual event.

They may not have the capacity during construction to be able to handle the event, and they may not need it the few years after SW Land opens, but you can almost guarantee this type of event will be back eventually.

Just looking at how many variants of 'food' and 'race' they can come up with to stuff in the schedule there is clearly no lack of initiative for creating upsold events. It will be back in just another form..

Next Big Thing

I don't know if this has been answered, but for those hoping that Season of the Force is daily fireworks - they aren't. The new Mickey Monitor specifies Friday-Sunday.

Bulldog1653

asianway said:
Hopefully they tell the 501st their services are no longer needed. Makes the place feel like a Star Trek convention at a Holiday Inn

Some are nice but some are not on brand. And there's one that's been dressing up as the emperor. Even though entertainment has the emperor. Wish the union would go after this one

Good. nothing is better than cosplay. That's not what I pay for at a Disney theme park

I guess I don't understand what your problem with the 501st is. Disney has always asked us to troop these events to enhance the experience. To compare us to a Star Trek convention at a Holiday Inn is a joke. If you took the time to look at what we're all about, you would never make those kind of statements.
To be a member of the 501st Legion, our costume has to be studio accurate. We go through a photo submission process and have to be approved by designated screeners. We don't automatically become a member by signing up on a forum. I have no idea what Star Trek Cosplayers go through but I can almost guarantee it's not as rigorous as our process.
We pay for our own costumes/ armor (Darth Vader is one of the most expensive at $4000 plus) and are an all volunteer group. Star Wars Weekends is a BIG deal for us and just about everyone I know wants to troop in that parade.
For me personally, I could care less about being on TV or becoming famous doing something like this. What I care about is making someone's day a little more special. I have no doubt that you've all seen someone get really excited when they see Mickey, Donald Duck, Goofy, etc. That's how people get when they see us in our armor. Seeing someone with a huge grin after taking a picture with us is what it's all about for me.

asianway

asianway said:
Hopefully they tell the 501st their services are no longer needed. Makes the place feel like a Star Trek convention at a Holiday Inn

Some are nice but some are not on brand. And there's one that's been dressing up as the emperor. Even though entertainment has the emperor. Wish the union would go after this one

Good. nothing is better than cosplay. That's not what I pay for at a Disney theme park

I guess I don't understand what your problem with the 501st is. Disney has always asked us to troop these events to enhance the experience. To compare us to a Star Trek convention at a Holiday Inn is a joke. If you took the time to look at what we're all about, you would never make those kind of statements.
To be a member of the 501st Legion, our costume has to be studio accurate. We go through a photo submission process and have to be approved by designated screeners. We don't automatically become a member by signing up on a forum. I have no idea what Star Trek Cosplayers go through but I can almost guarantee it's not as rigorous as our process.
We pay for our own costumes/ armor (Darth Vader is one of the most expensive at $4000 plus) and are an all volunteer group. Star Wars Weekends is a BIG deal for us and just about everyone I know wants to troop in that parade.
For me personally, I could care less about being on TV or becoming famous doing something like this. What I care about is making someone's day a little more special. I have no doubt that you've all seen someone get really excited when they see Mickey, Donald Duck, Goofy, etc. That's how people get when they see us in our armor. Seeing someone with a huge grin after taking a picture with us is what it's all about for me.
And however rigorous your standards are, Disney's are even higher for their character performers.

Again....not discounting the good work the legion does but Disney is not Lucas. Seems to be a lot of shooting the messenger on this, but time will tell. We've seen Disney boil the frog before, they've perfected it to an art.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And however rigorous your standards are, Disney's are even higher for their character performers.

Again....not discounting the good work the legion does but Disney is not Lucas. Seems to be a lot of shooting the messenger on this, but time will tell. We've seen Disney boil the frog before, they've perfected it to an art.

Really, You mean the Imperials in Ill fitting uniforms, You could tell who was the CM vs the 501'st and it was embarrasingly far in favor of the 501'st. The chubby aladdin's we periodically see I could go on but WDW has a problem with recruiting good 'face' characters recently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom