Star Wars Weekends discontinued at Disney's Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You're probably right, however to have a multi billion dollar corporation not know what they're planning 11 months out is a bit hard to believe. Even in our own households, aside from unexpected emergencies, we typically will save and plan for major work and changes. Or, am I the odd ball planning my finances out like that? Do most folk just say "it's time for a new roof", or "we're remodeling the kitchen, now!" all without planing and saving?

I have worked for a multi-billion dollar corporation and I can tell you that isn't a surprise at all. You end up with a lot more stakeholders each competing for what is in their own interest.

asianway

Seeing as SW Celebration isn't an annual event nor is it run by LFL/Disney, it cannot be seen as a replacement for SWW. Orlando had it two straight events in 2010 and 2012, and while there was a rumor reed (the exhibitor) signed a 3 con deal w/ the OCCC, as long as they're making new films, I doubt it will come back to the East Coast.
I think a Star Wars hard ticket ala MNSSHP is the most likely outcome. No talent or 501st though

BernardandBianca

Even in our own households, aside from unexpected emergencies, we typically will save and plan for major work and changes. Or, am I the odd ball planning my finances out like that? Do most folk just say "it's time for a new roof", or "we're remodeling the kitchen, now!" all without planing and saving?

I can't speak for others, but we have always planned ahead and saved for whatever we do. As of now, we have our next five trips planned and booked, through the beginning of 2017. And are working on what to do after that.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
"Disney says, "And work begins next year on the 14-acre Star Wars-themed land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. With construction underway, unfortunately, we won’t be able to offer Star Wars Weekends."

I am guessing not many believe the above statement from Disney? I guess this shows a total lack of trust many people on this forum have in the company and their word, which I feel is justified to an extent. It is just a bit sad because Disney will have to do a lot to regain the trust that many probably used to have in them. Very hard to rebuild trust in my experience.

asianway

That'll really make people happy. Take something that was free, and make it an upcharge event. Sounds like something that could definitely be a thing.
I'm usually first in line to take a whack at the piñata but I would support a hard ticket.

Sad fact but the event was getting stale, and with Lucas no longer kicking in any money SWW made no sense.

Prince-1

If the fan was a DVC member they are well inside the 7 month window and ADR's are what 6 months out, For an announcement of this magnitude it should have been done at the conclusion of the last SWW.

Yeahhhhhhhh, unfortunately they aren't always going to announce things, no matter what the magnitude, that will make everyone happy and in the proper amount of time. I am a DVC member so I know all about the 7 and 11 month window and it sucks that plans have to change but sometimes we can't always get what we want. To me making the announcement 6 months ahead of time is fair enough. Also, remind me when was the D23 Expo??? The one that announced the new Star Wars Land.

ThemeParkJunkee

I can't speak for others, but we have always planned ahead and saved for whatever we do. As of now, we have our next five trips planned and booked, through the beginning of 2017. And are working on what to do after that.

I usually plan a years worth of trips at a time but WDW trips are planned and saved for far in advance. My investment advisor looked at me funny when I handed him my personal balance sheet which had a prominently displayed "Disney Cash" account listed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeahhhhhhhh, unfortunately they aren't always going to announce things, no matter what the magnitude, that will make everyone happy and in the proper amount of time. I am a DVC member so I know all about the 7 and 11 month window and it sucks that plans have to change but sometimes we can't always get what we want. To me making the announcement 6 months ahead of time is fair enough. Also, remind me when was the D23 Expo??? The one that announced the new Star Wars Land.

The one where the first shovel of dirt has not been moved yet, that one yet attractions have been shut down over a year wake me up when TWDC does something.

I've been thinking of a new thread 'New Stuff at WDW' to include ANYTHING new at WDW which a guest can actually purchase or experience. I suspect it will be a short thread.

rucifee

The one where the first shovel of dirt has not been moved yet, that one yet attractions have been shut down over a year wake me up when TWDC does something.

I've been thinking of a new thread 'New Stuff at WDW' to include ANYTHING new at WDW which a guest can actually purchase or experience. I suspect it will be a short thread.

"Finding value at WDW" would be equally short.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm usually first in line to take a whack at the piñata but I would support a hard ticket.

Sad fact but the event was getting stale, and with Lucas no longer kicking in any money SWW made no sense.
Interesting that after the Lucasfilm purchase SWW got cut way back the last SWW that really rocked was the one in 2012 it seems to be a disease at TWDC everything must be reduced to a husk and the husk used for marketing experiences which no longer exist.

Prince-1

Hey i agree with you...DHS is approaching joke status but there was no chance of them announcing the closure of SWW before they announced the new Star Wars Land. That would have kinda tipped their hat before D23.

As for the the new thread...Haunted Mansion store, new shops at Disney Springs, NFL (depends on how new you're talking), Tangled bathrooms (I kiiid, I kiiid). Not all gems but you asked, I answered.

Bulldog1653

Oh and this finally solves the branding issues with the 501st. Rather than address it head on with the bad publicity it would bring this just makes the problem go away

Hello all,

I have to ask the question. What branding issues are you talking about? I am a member of the 501st and we are VERY careful about any kind of bad publicity. EVERY video I've seen of the 501st in the parades shows how we conduct ourselves in a military/professional manner. That is no accident.
The biggest unanswered question I have about the cancellation of the Weekends is if this is a temporary thing. As was previously mentioned, May is a HUGE month for Star Wars. If Disney was smart about this, they would reinstate these celebrations once construction has been completed.
I'll go ahead and clarify a few other things as well. Star Wars Celebration events and large ComicCon events are great ways to see Star Wars characters outside of Disney. The 501st does TONS of local events (we call them troops) and we are all volunteers. The costumes you see us wearing are paid for out of our own pocket. We don't charge for pictures unless we're doing a fund-raiser. Even then, we ask for a donation where every penny goes to that specific charity.

note2001

Hello all,

I have to ask the question. What branding issues are you talking about? I am a member of the 501st and we are VERY careful about any kind of bad publicity. EVERY video I've seen of the 501st in the parades shows how we conduct ourselves in a military/professional manner. That is no accident.
The biggest unanswered question I have about the cancellation of the Weekends is if this is a temporary thing. As was previously mentioned, May is a HUGE month for Star Wars. If Disney was smart about this, they would reinstate these celebrations once construction has been completed.
I'll go ahead and clarify a few other things as well. Star Wars Celebration events and large ComicCon events are great ways to see Star Wars characters outside of Disney. The 501st does TONS of local events (we call them troops) and we are all volunteers. The costumes you see us wearing are paid for out of our own pocket. We don't charge for pictures unless we're doing a fund-raiser. Even then, we ask for a donation where every penny goes to that specific charity.
I think it's great that you're all volunteers. Is there a way we can find out the location and dates of the events the 501st will be at since Disney will no longer have the best of the best performing? It might help make up for Disney's lack of SW attractions for a few years.

wannabeBelle

Anything I have ever heard about the 501st was all good. I always enjoyed seeing them in the parade at SWW as well as some of those REALLY well done costumes. I really hope that we will be able to see you all out en masse at other events if Disney isn't doing SWW. Thanks for all you do that others may not have heard about!!! Marie

rucifee

I don't understand the lack of 'value' in comparison to ticket prices in so many threads.

Sea World just raised their price of admission to $99.00 !

I'd pit entertainment value of Disney vs. Sea World any day.

Please do. It's probably best to do so in a new thread though, feel free to tag me so I will know it's a thing.

Tigger1988

Attend a local comic con or Star Wars themed event just about anywhere and you'll find members of the 501st. It's a worldwide thing.

jakeman

Hello all,

There is no branding issue. It's a personal gripe trying to be legitimized as a corporate issue. Here are some past quotes so you understand where @asianway is coming from:

Hopefully they tell the 501st their services are no longer needed. Makes the place feel like a Star Trek convention at a Holiday Inn

Some are nice but some are not on brand. And there's one that's been dressing up as the emperor. Even though entertainment has the emperor. Wish the union would go after this one

Good. nothing is better than cosplay. That's not what I pay for at a Disney theme park

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom