Star Wars Weekends discontinued at Disney's Hollywood Studios

ryguy

I have zero interest to go to the Studios until the new attractions (Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land) are added. By far the biggest rip in O town.

tk924

...now the Force will be with Disney’s Hollywood Studios every day.

Enough said.

I look forward to walking through something like this during any time of the year and not just select weekends.
8_15_WDI_010-1024x635.jpg

mm52200

The biggest loss with this event is the loss of all the special characters and the huge amount of variety it represented. Even when Star Wars Land opens I doubt we'll see half of these characters again. Also the celebrity shows were great, and the motorcade was a fan favorite. I didn't really get into Star Wars until this year so I could never fully appreciate the event but I was able to appreciate the production and the amount of extra entertainment it created that seems like it'll be missing from Seasons of the Force.

MrsSomers

I personally think this announcement should have been made at D23. I'm sure Disney knew then what the plan was. A nice 'Hey, Star Wars Land is coming! . . . and a new Seasons of the Force event will replace Star Wars Weekends' would have been nice. Instead, they drop little hints and nuggets of info and get us nerds all riled up talking about what it could mean. Then as the details unfold, we have to scramble to change plans and rebook trips.

As I mentioned in the Trip Planning thread, my family and I wanted to catch the beginning of SSW at the end of our May trip, so we booked May 5th - 15th. Then we started hearing rumors about it not happening. We quickly booked a trip for April, and made our ADRs. (We would prefer to travel in April, if SWW was not going to happen in May like usual) We hung on to the May booking and patiently waited for an announcement. This past Saturday was our 180 day mark for May, so we got up at the crack of dawn and made out ADRs. Two days later they announce it's "not being offered in 2016". Ugh! The May trip is now canceled. I agree with the person who posted about how on top of our trip planning they want us to be, yet they still make willy nilly announcements about their events. :0(

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just another cut at a park which has seen FAR too many, I was always there for SWW and DW got to meet Ashley Eckstein a few times (she's a SW fangurl) and has a bunch of Ashley's dresses which frankly are amazingly creative.

This was all about saving bucks as usual, The parade was always amazing with the 501'st and the 501'st was also quite a lot of fun one of the best moments was when they were 'investigating' a plastic cup with with energy rifles at the ready along with an Imperial officer in charge of the detachment.

Disney seems hell bent on giving us reasons NOT to visit, This is one more in a list which has grown too long already

Prince-1

I personally think this announcement should have been made at D23. I'm sure Disney knew then what the plan was. I nice 'Hey, Star Wars Land is coming! . . . and a new Seasons of the Force event will replace Star Wars Weekends' would have been nice. Instead, they drop little hits and nuggets of info and get all us nerds all riled up talking about what it could mean. Then as the details unfold, we have to scramble to change plans and rebook trips.

As I mentioned in the Trip Planning thread, my family and I wanted to catch the beginning of SSW at the end of our May trip, so we booked May 5th - 15th. Then we started hearing rumors about it not happening, so we quickly booked a trip for April, and made our ADRs. We preferred to travel in April, if SWW was not going to happen in May like usual, but kept the May booking until an announcement was made. This past Saturday was our 180 day mark for May, so we got up at the crack of dawn and made out ADRs. Two days later they announce it's "not being offered in 2016". Ugh! May trip is now canceled. I agree with the person who posted about how on top of our trip planning they want us to be, yet they still make will nilly announcements about their events. :0(

You do realize that they made this nilly announcement in early November?? For a closing in May 2016.

note2001

If the fan was a DVC member they are well inside the 7 month window and ADR's are what 6 months out, For an announcement of this magnitude it should have been done at the conclusion of the last SWW.

I don't understand why such a supposedly organized company like Disney can flop and fall over something as simple as giving notice regarding major shifts in entertainment 11 months out. They create all the systems to get our visits lined up early, encourage DVC owners to book at 11 months out, boost the DVC sales values up to over $155 a point (I don't know the current price) and then give us the attitude of "Oh well, not our fault, you knew this wouldn't be happening like it has for the past many years."

I don't get upset with Disney very often. I know it's a business with a product, but when your buyers may be booking stays according to a schedule that has been the same for many many years, wouldn't it be proper to alert prior to allowing those bookings when that schedule is changing?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't understand why such a supposedly organized company like Disney can flop and fall over something as simple as giving notice regarding major shifts in entertainment 11 months out. They create all the systems to get our visits lined up early, encourage DVC owners to book at 11 months out, boost the DVC sales values up to over $155 a point (I don't know the current price) and then give us the attitude of "Oh well, not our fault, you knew this wouldn't be happening like it has for the past many years."

I don't get upset with Disney very often. I know it's a business with a product, but when your buyers may be booking stays according to a schedule that has been the same for many many years, wouldn't it be proper to alert prior to allowing those bookings when that schedule is changing?

I doubt this was an issue of giving notice, they probably hadn't made the decision 11 months out.

prberk

I never understood why though. Late May to June was hardly ever a "need" period for WDW and it always overlapped Memorial Day. Anyone know the history on that?

Well, when it started it was every weekend in May, which for many is still a school time (and thus a candidate for being helped by a boost like this), and clearly full of significance for Star Wars fans. (All previous SW films opened in May, not just the first one, by the way.) So, it all made sense in the first years, I think, before moving into June later. I never understood why they moved it into June.

note2001

I doubt this was an issue of giving notice, they probably hadn't made the decision 11 months out.
You're probably right, however to have a multi billion dollar corporation not know what they're planning 11 months out is a bit hard to believe. Even in our own households, aside from unexpected emergencies, we typically will save and plan for major work and changes. Or, am I the odd ball planning my finances out like that? Do most folk just say "it's time for a new roof", or "we're remodeling the kitchen, now!" all without planing and saving?

Rodneyt74

You're probably right, however to have a multi billion dollar corporation not know what they're planning 11 months out is a bit hard to believe. Even in our own households, aside from unexpected emergencies, we typically will save and plan for major work and changes. Or, am I the odd ball planning my finances out like that? Do most folk just say "it's time for a new roof", or "we're remodeling the kitchen, now!" all without planing and saving?

Have to agree with you. They want people to plan trips and tickets months and years in advance but a lot of stuff comes with short notice. We just renewed our annual passes on Oct 26th. The two main reasons we did renew them were the Osborne lights last year and star wars weekends. Have to say if knew then that star wars weekends was ending we would have waited before getting annual passes again. Probably would have just got 4 day park hopper for our Christmas trip coming up and waiting till sept 2016 to get new passes so they would have been good till well into 2017. Just a lot of work and money to plan Disney trips these days, and seems every trip here lately gets redone because of short notice about new events or old events cancelled.
Even our Christmas trip had changes.. We like to go to Christmas day parade taping.. Been last 3 years. We planned our trip for what is normal time frame but that changed.. I know its not really something that is normal event or something they really want people planning trips around. We always loved going to it and seeing how its done and whats new. Might be strange to some to do that, but its fun for us.
Just wish could get a better idea about future events and dates atleast a year in advance. They have to have some idea about whats happening a year in advance.

WhatJaneSays

It‘s not really that there are not advance plans … it's more like there are 3 to 10 potential plans in the works for overarching actions and which one of those plans (or which parts of all those plans) ultimately get chosen is a an IF>THEN logic problem of Rube Goldberg proportions.

SWW was probably deemed an infeasible event to produce as intended, likely due to Seasons of the Force reasons. Perhaps not enough minimum level work on it was going to be done due to personnel and resources being used for Seasons of the Force without being able to turn it over in time for a regularly scheduled or length of SWW. Or maybe many elements of SWW being incorporated into Seasons of the Force made them re-think holding 2 separate events that were too similar. It could even be as simple as DHS wanting to use some of that time in May or June for another reason, or even making a good enough argument to NOT have an event during that time.

Truth be told I'm incredibly sad to see SWW pass into the great beyond of Yesterdayland. I've gone at least once a year every year it’s been held since the very beginning and I will miss this incarnation of a Star Wars event greatly. But it think that this was a random decision to do away with it and not accounted for in many versions of the plans for DHS is silly.

This something that was probably given a final "this just isn't going work" decision less than a week ago but the plan of no SWW or transitioning it into a new event has always been on the table (doubly so since they bought LFL, doubly again so since Star Wars Land was given the final okay).

tribbleorlfl

Heard talks from a few people who organize conventions about moving from a weekends to a four day convention outside WDW in Orlando. Like they do in Anaheim outside Disneyland.
Seeing as SW Celebration isn't an annual event nor is it run by LFL/Disney, it cannot be seen as a replacement for SWW. Orlando had it two straight events in 2010 and 2012, and while there was a rumor reed (the exhibitor) signed a 3 con deal w/ the OCCC, as long as they're making new films, I doubt it will come back to the East Coast.

Incomudro

Just another cut at a park which has seen FAR too many, I was always there for SWW and DW got to meet Ashley Eckstein a few times (she's a SW fangurl) and has a bunch of Ashley's dresses which frankly are amazingly creative.

This was all about saving bucks as usual, The parade was always amazing with the 501'st and the 501'st was also quite a lot of fun one of the best moments was when they were 'investigating' a plastic cup with with energy rifles at the ready along with an Imperial officer in charge of the detachment.

Disney seems hell bent on giving us reasons NOT to visit, This is one more in a list which has grown too long already
I don't mind them doing away with SWW really.
They giveth far more than they taketh away with the new Star Wars Land, this comes from a guy who's kid got to march in the parade.
My question is why SWW needs to end this season if construction is not really going to be going on at that time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom