Star Wars: The Acolyte

doctornick

I repeat my question as the topic of the thread is The Acolyte. What exactly about the presentation is geared towards engaging an audience sufficiently large to warrant the expenditure to present it?

I guess I'm confused here because what exactly about the presentation is not geared towards engaging a large audience? I haven't been bowled over by the advertisement but nothing about it seemed intending to only appeal to smaller groups or not appeal to "Star Wars fans".

And at least for me I thought the show so far is more interesting than I expected. IMHO but it's certainly better than Boba Fett and Kenobi so far.

doctornick

It's so weird... where are all the passionate die-hard fans of *The Acolyte* who can't stop thinking about it? We're on the board, and no one is saying much about it. You'd expect more discussion and excitement? Are fans just staying quiet for some reason? Let's hear your thoughts!

I’m ready to see some passionate fans of the show breaking down every moment.

Can't speak for everyone, but once I had the chance to watch the show - it took us a few days because my family wanted to watch together - I came onto this thread specifically to discuss the show... and found it just packed with the usual toxic discussion about SW in general that is pointless in that no one is going to convince anyone of anything and nothing is going to change. And virtually no discussion about The Acolyte itself, which is sad. Especially since there are already other more appropriate threads on this page that would be appropriate for those discussions.

So, yeah, let's talk about The Acolyte. I have enjoyed it but not been overwhelmed. Definitely interested in watching more and looking forward to the next episode. Plot seems relatively straight forward but the fight scenes have been cool and I'm always a fan of whenever Star Wars does silly but things like
multitool droid Pip and the robot pilots that become chairs

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
It's so weird... where are all the passionate die-hard fans of *The Acolyte* who can't stop thinking about it? We're on the board, and no one is saying much about it. You'd expect more discussion and excitement? Are fans just staying quiet for some reason? Let's hear your thoughts!

I’m ready to see some passionate fans of the show breaking down every moment.
1. This isn't the Spoiler thread.

2. You've been doing a good job keeping this thread being about everything but The Acolyte. [Not saying others aren't also guilty.]

So, knock off the faux turn toward good faith discussion with your unclever sarcasm.

CinematicFusion

1. This isn't the Spoiler thread.

2. You've been doing a good job keeping this thread being about everything but The Acolyte. [Not saying others aren't also guilty.]

So, knock off the faux turn toward good faith discussion with your unclever sarcasm.
You think I control the narrative on this board? I speak with passion about things that interest me, and we've had many passionate conversations here. If you feel The Acolyte isn't being discussed enough, it's up to you to bring that passion and create the conversation about the show. Instead of accusing others, why not contribute to the discussion and share your enthusiasm for The Acolyte? Let's see if your passion can spark the kind of dialogue you think is missing.
And.. fair enough, I’ll check out the spoiler board for the in depth discussion on the show.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
You think I control the narrative on this board? I speak with passion about things that interest me, and we've had many passionate conversations here. If you feel The Acolyte isn't being discussed enough, it's up to you to bring that passion and create the conversation about the show. Instead of accusing others, why not contribute to the discussion and share your enthusiasm for *The Acolyte*? Let's see if your passion can spark the kind of dialogue you think is missing.
Still not buying it.

I typed passionately.

Jedijax719

The Acolyte, at worst, is adequate with clunky dialogue. The story may not be flashy, but it is enough to be somewhat original. It may be meh to some but to others it may be better than that or a little worse than that. Does it feel like it deserves a 28% audience score? Absolutely not. Maybe split down the middle. But a 28% audience score is DEFINITELY agenda driven. There are no two ways about it. Some here will disagree and they have the right to do so. However, it doesn't change the fact that 28% is absurd and has a LOT more to it than a simple 72% didn't like it unless most of those went in already knowing what they were going to think and say about it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I've had enough of the culture wars slant as there's not much discussion about the actual show. Public ratings are just that... public. Ascribing motivations and taking sides with something that anyone on the internet can participate in is pointless. People for whatever reason make choices and if there's freedom of choice in play its not up to someone else to question or label them as part of some conspiracy. Your passions, values, and worldview are yours and not necessarily shared by others, accept that and move on. This is suppose to be entertainment, not indoctrination.

erasure fan1

Does it feel like it deserves a 28% audience score? Absolutely not. Maybe split down the middle. But a 28% audience score is DEFINITELY agenda driven
My thought on that is, I'm sure some of it is. But as counter, what do you call a 90+ critic score? I would say the same thing as the 28%. There's no way it deserves a score that high based on what we've seen. When I look at a 28% score, the question I ask is this. Where are the supportes? All of the negative is not just review bombing. There's legitimate criticism in there. But what you don't see is people going out of their way to support it. Maybe they're waiting to see the whole show? That's definitely a possibility. When it's all done I guess we will see.

A lot of the review bombing theory falls apart when you look at other films. Take elemental, it has a 93% tomato score from the fans. That shouldn't be based on what we've been told about the make up of the people review bombing. So the question is, why was that score not lower? From what you read on this site, the film was attacked constantly by the segment who's just "out to get Disney". They miraculously had a change of heart? None of them got the memo to go bomb it? Or was it review padding? If we apply logic to one thing, it then needs to apply to everything.

CinematicFusion

The Acolyte, at worst, is adequate with clunky dialogue. The story may not be flashy, but it is enough to be somewhat original. It may be meh to some but to others it may be better than that or a little worse than that. Does it feel like it deserves a 28% audience score? Absolutely not. Maybe split down the middle. But a 28% audience score is DEFINITELY agenda driven. There are no two ways about it. Some here will disagree and they have the right to do so. However, it doesn't change the fact that 28% is absurd and has a LOT more to it than a simple 72% didn't like it unless most of those went in already knowing what they were going to think and say about it.
How do you rank the likability of characters in The Acolyte compared to other Star Wars TV shows like The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan Kenobi? Which characters stand out to you the most, and do you find yourself coming back to watch because of them? Is it too early to form an opinion, or does a show need to lock an audience in after two episodes? With 4.3 million tuning in, what are your thoughts on the show’s ability to retain its audience

CinematicFusion

I've had enough of the culture wars slant as there's not much discussion about the actual show. Public ratings are just that... public. Ascribing motivations and taking sides with something that anyone on the internet can participate in is pointless. People for whatever reason make choices and if there's freedom of choice in play its not up to someone else to question or label them as part of some conspiracy. Your passions, values, and worldview are yours and not necessarily shared by others, accept that and move on. This is suppose to be entertainment, not indoctrination.
I completely agree with your point. The focus should be on discussing the actual show and its content, rather than getting caught up in culture wars. Public ratings are just that, public opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own views.

Question:
Considering that 4.3 million people tuned in to watch The Acolyte, what do you think their views are on the story and characters so far? Which aspects of the plot do you think are resonating most with the audience, and are there any characters that you find particularly compelling or well-developed?

CinematicFusion

My thought on that is, I'm sure some of it is. But as counter, what do you call a 90+ critic score? I would say the same thing as the 28%. There's no way it deserves a score that high based on what we've seen. When I look at a 28% score, the question I ask is this. Where are the supportes? All of the negative is not just review bombing. There's legitimate criticism in there. But what you don't see is people going out of their way to support it. Maybe they're waiting to see the whole show? That's definitely a possibility. When it's all done I guess we will see.

A lot of the review bombing theory falls apart when you look at other films. Take elemental, it has a 93% tomato score from the fans. That shouldn't be based on what we've been told about the make up of the people review bombing. So the question is, why was that score not lower? From what you read on this site, the film was attacked constantly by the segment who's just "out to get Disney". They miraculously had a change of heart? None of them got the memo to go bomb it? Or was it review padding? If we apply logic to one thing, it then needs to apply to everything.
Maybe it’s closer than we think. The Rotten Tomatoes critic score for The Acolyte is 90%, but when you look at the individual reviews, many of them are 3/5 stars, which translates to 60%. This suggests that while the overall impression is positive, the detailed ratings are more nuanced.

Most fans aren’t as nuanced with their reviews and tend to rate things as either 5 stars or 0 stars, based on their strong feelings about the content. So, the high critic score might not reflect a uniformly enthusiastic response, just as the low audience score might not solely be due to review bombing.
The real question is why many critics are lukewarm on the show with 3/5 ratings and fans, according to Rotten Tomatoes (5000+ views), aren’t enthusiastic… so far. Both critics and fans haven’t seen the full show.

Ultimately, the full picture might only emerge once the entire show is out and we see more balanced feedback from a broader audience.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I completely agree with your point. The focus should be on discussing the actual show and its content, rather than getting caught up in culture wars. Public ratings are just that, public opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own views.

Question:
Considering that 4.3 million people tuned in to watch The Acolyte, what do you think their views are on the story and characters so far? Which aspects of the plot do you think are resonating most with the audience, and are there any characters that you find particularly compelling or well-developed?

I haven't seen enough to "connect the dots" and its not engaging enough to want me to yearn for the softball questions about the state of things that have been tossed up. Its pretty, but not plausible. People in the streets, but doing nothing. No commerce, no stores, no economy. Ships coming and going but why are they doing it ?

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

I haven't seen enough to "connect the dots" and its not engaging enough to want me to year for the softball questions about the state of things that have been tossed up. Its pretty, but not plausible. People in the streets, but doing nothing. No commerce, no stores, no economy. Ships coming and going but why are they doing it ?
solid opinion so far

DKampy

This why I don’t pay attention to audience scores on TV series….it ‘s pointless…anyone can say anything without watching a single minute…even with films I only check the verified audience score

CinematicFusion

This why I don’t pay attention to audience scores on TV series….it ‘s pointless…anyone can say anything without watching a single minute…even with films I only check the verified audience score
I'll be honest, my wife and I do look at the audience score to decide if we want to watch a show. It's easy to pull up and instantly available. That score drives us to the show, but the first episode matters if we continue to watch it. If it doesn't hold our interest, we most likely stop watching unless friends highly recommend it. Just like the general public, we find Rotten Tomatoes audience scores influential. They have, for better or worse, cornered the market for reviews and significantly impact viewership decisions.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'll be honest, my wife and I do look at the audience score to decide if we want to watch a show. It's easy to pull up and instantly available. That score drives us to the show, but the first episode matters if we continue to watch it. If it doesn't hold our interest, we most likely stop watching unless friends highly recommend it. Just like the general public, we find Rotten Tomatoes audience scores influential. They have, for better or worse, cornered the market for reviews and significantly impact viewership decisions.
If that works for you more power to you. But you can miss out on a lot of great content by allowing others to dictate your watch habits based on how some anonymous people on the internet rated things. But hey like I said if that works for you more power to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom