Star Wars: The Acolyte

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At the end of the film, presentation, or whatever created work it may be, it boils down to did the majority of it's audience enjoy it. And if they did, was that audience sufficiently large to economically support the amount of money it took to bring that experience to the public. I see many pejorative statements from other posters questioning motivations and philosophy while ignoring basic economics. If you expect entertainment to indoctrinate the consumer, your customers also have a vote not to participate by not purchasing.
The amount I am agreeing with you here is starting to become troubling

Disney Irish

Premium Member
At the end of the film, presentation, or whatever created work it may be, it boils down to did the majority of it's audience enjoy it. And if they did, was that audience sufficiently large to economically support the amount of money it took to bring that experience to the public. I see many pejorative statements from other posters questioning motivations and philosophy while ignoring basic economics. If you expect entertainment to indoctrinate the consumer, your customers also have a vote not to participate by not purchasing.

It's rather presumptuous to assume moral superiority because everyone else doesn't follow your assertations.
The major problem with this sentiment is that the consumer isn't just one mind and has varying opinions and tastes. Same with the fandom, as been pointed out in this thread its not one monolithic thing. As shown in just this thread alone there are many different view points on what Star Wars means to each of us personally and what we want to see within our Star Wars movies and shows.

Hollywood has a LONG history of trying to not only foretell what the audience wants but also chase after trends. Its like trying to hit the bullseye on a moving dart board while blindfolded and facing backwards. Sometimes you'll hit the board and other times you'll miss. You just have to hope you hit the board and get something, even if not a bullseye, more often than missing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The major problem with this sentiment is that the consumer isn't just one mind and has varying opinions and tastes. Same with the fandom, as been pointed out in this thread its not one monolithic thing. As shown in just this thread alone there are many different view points on what Star Wars means to each of us personally and what we want to see within our Star Wars movies and shows.

Hollywood has a LONG history of trying to not only foretell what the audience wants but also chase after trends. Its like trying to hit the bullseye on a moving dart board while blindfolded and facing backwards. Sometimes you'll hit the board and other times you'll miss. You just have to hope you hit the board and get something, even if not a bullseye, more often than missing.
Not Again…

It’s mass audience. This is the same thing that comes up when Disney screws up in parks. It doesn’t matter what some people think of it…it’s what consumer critical mass does.

These are tentpoles…with headliner IPs…

Not hard to gauge. Big money…big hit. Big resonance in the consumer market. Big hit.

Steep drops. Uh oh. Shutting down movies cause you can’t figure out which way is up going on a decade? Double ruh roh, Raggy…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I repeat my question as the topic of the thread is The Acolyte. What exactly about the presentation is geared towards engaging an audience sufficiently large to warrant the expenditure to present it?

A magical Star Wars stamp on the opening credits assures it's success? I think not, but the consumer base will determine that.
I think I started very well. Watched it twice now…

But…this is not a Star Trek series. You can’t have stinkers…you can’t get lost like they have done on most of these shows…

Maybe a tough deal…but that’s the bar

of course not, and the more content you get in a IP the more divided the fan base becomes. Not everyone has to like every bit of content. The issue of course comes when you have a small vocal minority screaming "This is the death of the franchise" when the franchise is doing fine they just don't like the latest entry.

One persons wants and needs are not more important then anyone else's and just because they decided to not make the story you wanted doesn't mean they spit on fandom or are disrespecting the fans.

in fact I would say that stagnation kills more franchises then trying something new.

"Fans just want more of the last thing they read and enjoyed"

-Neil Gaiman

BrianLo

I repeat my question as the topic of the thread is The Acolyte. What exactly about the presentation is geared towards engaging an audience sufficiently large to warrant the expenditure to present it?

A magical Star Wars stamp on the opening credits assures it's success? I think not, but the consumer base will determine that.

Sorry, there's multiple conversations at play in the same thread.

I was very personally dubious about Acolytes road to success. I didn't even think it was a thing because so many Star Wars projects have fallen apart before it.

However, based on the early viewing metrics, it's beyond justifying its budget. If the audiences continue to show up how they supposedly have the first two episodes. I'd actually expect it to get a second season if that's a possibility with the viewership numbers.

It seems, so far, most people here seem to at least like it or be onboard enough to see more.

I don't really understand why this thread has suddenly blown up 20 pages though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not Again…

It’s mass audience. This is the same thing that comes up when Disney screws up in parks. It doesn’t matter what some people think of it…it’s what consumer critical mass does.

These are tentpoles…with headliner IPs…

Not hard to gauge. Big money…big hit. Big resonance in the consumer market. Big hit.

Steep drops. Uh oh. Shutting down movies cause you can’t figure out which way is up going on a decade? Double ruh roh, Raggy…
Outside of Dune 2, what movie has done huge business this year in 2024? I'll answer that question for you, none. Zero. Zilch. The industry and consumers have changed, its not the same. I know you still find that hard to accept but it has. So every studio, every single one, is struggling to find the next "thing" that will bring consumers in mass. Its a hard market to bring out a critical success these days, even harder for IPs where the fan base is not all on the same page.

Also no one has shutdown movies for a decade. So stop all that.

BrianLo

Here's some viewership Data that I'm shamelessly going to steal from Reddit. Someone did a nice job compiling it. First 24H viewing data for Acolyte equates to 338 million (so far). Note the following are representative of a weeks worth of viewing, so we'll need to wait another month for Nielsen updates.

Andor ran a similar per episode costs (budget of 250 million) and is shamefully the least viewed. Though still was enough of a success to warrant a second season.

Screen Shot 2024-06-08 at 6.59.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-06-08 at 6.59.24 PM.png

CinematicFusion

It's so weird... where are all the passionate die-hard fans of *The Acolyte* who can't stop thinking about it? We're on the board, and no one is saying much about it. You'd expect more discussion and excitement? Are fans just staying quiet for some reason? Let's hear your thoughts!

I’m ready to see some passionate fans of the show breaking down every moment.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's so weird... where are all the passionate die-hard fans of *The Acolyte* who can't stop thinking about it? We're on the board, and no one is saying much about it. You'd expect more discussion and excitement? Are fans just staying quiet for some reason? Let's hear your thoughts!

There has been 2 episodes, not much to talk about yet. And also not sure how you can have "die-hard fans" for something that is less than a week old.

The spoiler thread has been active though.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

There's been nothing to hook the audience yet, just old tropes trotted out like good twin/bad twin and lots of walking through sets and scenery.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was very personally dubious about Acolytes road to success. I didn't even think it was a thing because so many Star Wars projects have fallen apart before it.

You’re getting too caught up in this…

At the end of the day…Star Wars fans crave and will consume good Star Wars.

It’s just gotta have good characters and story that doesn’t treat the audience like they’re stupid.

Rogue one a masterpiece? Certainly not…but has grown in support as the others have not.

Two guys there that actually liked Star Wars and had an investment beyond a paycheck.

Strong female lead…by the way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think it’s a little shell shock from the last 2 not well received mini series

The format is totally flawed…but people don’t want to invest 4 hours and turn it off at the end and say “what was the point?”

BrianLo

You’re getting too caught up in this…

At the end of the day…Star Wars fans crave and will consume good Star Wars.

It’s just gotta have good characters and story that doesn’t treat the audience like they’re stupid.

Rogue one a masterpiece? Certainly not…but has grown in support as the others have not.

Two guys there that actually liked Star Wars and had an investment beyond a paycheck.

Strong female lead…by the way.

I'm not sure you understood my post? I meant I didn't even think Acolyte was even being made until the trailer came out. I thought it was one of those announced, but never seen through Star Wars projects.

Basically, I had no expectations because I didn't realize it was real. 😂

The first and last time I've read a Star Wars Book was the prequel to Rogue One and as a result the characters in that one never gelled with me. They felt off and muted from the novelization. Though the broader film was good, I thought there was very little character development. Which I guess is somewhat of a necessity for a cast you need to kill off. That said, my expectations were subsequently quite low on Andor and I absolutely love it. I'll have to re-watch Rogue One after Andor completes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure you understood my post? I meant I didn't even think Acolyte was even being made until the trailer came out. I thought it was one of those announced, but never seen through Star Wars projects.

Basically, I had no expectations because I didn't realize it was real. 😂

The first and last time I've read a Star Wars Book was the prequel to Rogue One and as a result the characters in that one never gelled with me. They felt off and muted from the novelization. Though the broader film was good, I thought there was very little character development. Which I guess is somewhat of a necessity for a cast you need to kill off. That said, my expectations were subsequently quite low on Andor and I absolutely love it. I'll have to re-watch Rogue One after Andor completes.
I’m just saying that the acolyte will be accepted if it is good.

Just as obi wan gets a hell of a lot of backlash (and I liked a lot of it) because it didn’t hit.

Doesn’t really fit the bias narrative…30 year olds who had jar jar lunchboxes turning on mcgreggor and Christensen?

Doesn’t fit that narrative

Tha Realest

It's around even here, unfortunately. There's a reason Rachel Zegler, Halle Bailey and almost to a hilarious intention reveal Iman Vellani are brought up in the same breath. And yet not a boo about Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Rudd, Harrison Ford or Owen Wilson. Woman, young woman and especially young woman of colour are easy prey.
Yeah, why don’t people on a Disney message board complain about Jake Gyllenhaal? Surely there’s a lot of unaired grievances about (checks notes) Prince of Persia.

Rudd’s Ant-Man films - especially the last one - have been critiqued a lot.

Wilson was perfectly fine in the Loki series (which was well recieved).

BrianLo

Yeah, why don’t people on a Disney message board complain about Jake Gyllenhaal? Surely there’s a lot of unaired grievances about (checks notes) Prince of Persia.

Rudd’s Ant-Man films - especially the last one - have been critiqued a lot.

Wilson was perfectly fine in the Loki series (which was well recieved).

Well I guess that helps prove my point? 😂

I was referring to Strange World, Quantumania, Indiana Jones 4 and Haunted Mansion. They aren't even associated with the crap, as I have been informed is the only reason that the actresses are relentlessly dunked on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well I guess that helps prove my point? 😂

I was referring to Strange World, Quantumania, Indiana Jones 4 and Haunted Mansion. They aren't even associated with the crap, as I have been informed is the only reason that the actresses are relentlessly dunked on.
Those movies were all terrible…perhaps no need to pick apart trash?

Or maybe…Star Wars fanbase is always more invested and give more of response?

Confirming what we already knew for going on 50 years.

BrianLo

I’m just saying that the acolyte will be accepted if it is good.

Just as obi wan gets a hell of a lot of backlash (and I liked a lot of it) because it didn’t hit.

Doesn’t really fit the bias narrative…30 year olds who had jar jar lunchboxes turning on mcgreggor and Christensen?

Doesn’t fit that narrative

Oh you misunderstand me! I have absolutely no care in the world if Acolyte is good or not. I hope it is for me - and then I guess I hope if I find it really good, it finds an audience so it can be renewed.

Star Wars isn't really my franchise, I'm definitely not as big of a fan as most of the rest of you are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom