Star Wars: The Acolyte

If that works for you more power to you. But you can miss out on a lot of great content by allowing others to dictate your watch habits based on how some anonymous people on the internet rated things. But hey like I said if that works for you more power to you.
yeah i'm right there with you. I'd prefer to form my own ideas and opinions rather then listen to random reviewers on the internet to make my decisions for me. But I guess it takes all kinds.

What did you like about it? I was extremely disappointed. It fell short on just about everything for me. Dialogue was weak, acting was spotty at best, and the whole episode just felt clumsy. I haven't seen a lot of people say they enjoyed it so I'm kind of curious.
oh simple, acting was fantastic, especially from the kids. Dialogue was really well written, the story was well thought out and hinted at some very sinister things. Most interesting is the clues they gave about the Jedi's involvement on what happened.

Hawkeye_2018

I've seen a lot of negative stuff about this show from the usual suspects online that I take with a grain of salt. However, I haven't seen a ton of over whelming positive stuff from the other side of the fandom that makes me think this could be another Ashoka/BoBF stinker.

TP2000

You guys are always so much savvier than me at deciphering this kind of stuff, but is this good?

What About The Other 82 Percent.jpg

MoonRakerSCM

Haven't been watching it as I got rid of my Disney plus after Ahsoka (in the comment area I told them to "Stop making crappy shows"). But, my smug little self just chatted with two buddies about how Acolyte is going.

Buddy #1 (used to be hardcore star wars fan)- Says it is bland and very poorly made. Mentions some scenes look good here and there, but he doesn't care any more. Hasn't seen the mysteriously 'worst thing ever' episode this week because he just hasn't gotten around to it. Shows complete apathy toward it.

Buddy #2 (was ok with star wars but has always been a trekkie)- Says it is bland and pointless. Sick of the usual pushing of things in this weeks episode and intends to cancel D+ this week or next as he's done with it all.

I will say, Buddy #2 used to be a MASSIVE Disney fan (back when it was a thing he had the dual coast annual pass) and in recent years has simply refused to support the company due to recent endeavors being 'absolute crap' as well as other topics not allowed to be discussed on the board here. I was surprised I cancelled my Disney plus before he did, but he has now seen the light. He's one I'm hoping I can get to go see Inside Out with me if the word of mouth is good... but it'll be a long shot. He did enjoy (a tiny bit) Elemental after I told him to watch it.

sedati

Rewatched the first two before the new and think episode one is really solid and deft in how much it laid out and how well it did it. Episode two is solid as well. The music jumped out as particularly good and I noticed several direct callbacks to music from Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones.

I think the many comparisons to Star Trek are because we're dealing more with institutions, procedures, and logic than rollicking space western.

Episode three did feel weaker, mostly in the direction and art direction (though I found the witches home very interesting especially as I don't believe it's a place they built but were just occupying.) I love witchcraft and occult themes and found the witches too mundane and not at all otherworldly despite a few aliens in the mix.

But this is the episode out of the three that occupied my thoughts when it was over. Certainly no real conclusions can be made until we see the rest. Ever try making a puzzle without the picture on the box-that's what this feels like.

One theory I have is that the witches pre-ascension are presenting themselves in a more friendly light for the sake of the girls as a way to make sure they "confirm" themselves to their coven/religion. Once committed they would present their true selves.

The blue butterflies are something that have been popping up a lot lately (Grogu, Vader, and Kylo all encounter them in various recent media.) The assumption is that they are tied to the light-side. Them being gone once Osha leaves is interesting.

Phroobar

oh simple, acting was fantastic, especially from the kids. Dialogue was really well written, the story was well thought out and hinted at some very sinister things. Most interesting is the clues they gave about the Jedi's involvement on what happened.
You are on a opposite day kick aren't you?

CinematicFusion

Obviously the 18% audience score was reviewed bombed. But even if it wasn't, I'm guessing it would be in the 50-65% range which isn't great either.
Have to see what the viewership numbers are as the show continues. When review bombing aligns with a drop in viewership, it probably means the audience genuinely isn’t happy with the show. By analyzing trends in viewership, looking at what people are saying in their reviews, and directly engaging with the audience, studios can get a better understanding of the issues. This way, they can make informed adjustments to improve the show’s reception. It’s all about balancing the creative vision with what the audience wants to keep viewers engaged in the long run.

Disstevefan1

I think Disney Star Wars is much like starting a new sports team.

Totally new identity, new players.

This new sports team does not have lifelong diehard fans.

This new team must grow its new fan base.

And much like a sports team, its not necessary to win to grow the fan base, folks only need to identify with the new team in some way.

That said, if the new team is winning, folks become fans much faster.

Last edited:

Willmark

My thoughts on episode 3, Someone thought it was a good idea to do musical/interpretive dance after seeing what happened in the Marvels?

giphy.gif

CinematicFusion

I think Disney Star Wars is much like starting a new sports team.

Totally new identity, new players.

This new sports team does not have lifelong diehard fans.

This new team must grow its new fan base.

And much like a sports team, its not necessary to win to grow the fan base, folks only need to identify with the new team in some way.

That said, if the new team is winning, folks become fans much faster.
So is the new team selling out stadiums with a huge waiting list for season tickets?

Also, side note.. who is your favorite team?
And what heartbreaking moment solidified your fandom? We all have them with sports.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

So is the new team selling out stadiums with a huge waiting list for season tickets?

Also, side note.. who is your favorite team?
And what heartbreaking moment solidified your fandom? We all have them with sports.
Of course the hypothetical new team does not initially sell out, but hopefully will eventually gain fans, the trick is to stay in business long enough to gain the fandom.

I am thinking Disney Star Wars as is a new sports team that sprung up.

Lucasfilm Star Wars fans is the old team and these fans will not become fans of the new Disney Star Wars team.

As for me, I was raised a Met fan. I say raised like it its a religion. So I will die a Met fan. Too many heartbreaker moments sprinkled with some Met Magic.

CinematicFusion

Of course the hypothetical new team does not initially sell out, but hopefully will eventually gain fans, the trick is to stay in business long enough to gain the fandom.

I am thinking Disney Star Wars as is a new sports team that sprung up.

Lucasfilm Star Wars fans is the old team and these fans will not become fans of the new Disney Star Wars team.

As for me, I was raised a Met fan. I say raised like it its a religion. So I will die a Met fan. Too many heartbreaker moments sprinkled with some Met Magic.
86 Mets… my heartbreak year.

That’s a mistake to build a team and tell the existing fan base in that town to F off.
See if the strategy works…

In the restaurant business that is suicide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom