Star Wars: The Acolyte

Willmark

I would give this multiple likes if I could.
Many thanks.
I've been harping on that for a very long time now with all of star wars. There is A LOT of things wrong with this show. You can easily spot the hate brigade. But most of the complaints I'm seeing are pretty legitimate.
Agreed. I'm in this weird place: I don't love it nor do I "hate it." There are problems aplenty with it punctuated by few good things. Take the lightsaber battle last night. Leave this site and there are plenty hyping this up to the greatest duel ever! I disagree but I'm also not looking to tell anyone they are "wrong" as it were.

Yup, Jake Lloyd said the same thing and that he still loves star wars. His mom in a recent interview debunked all the "hate" drove him crazy.
It's surprising how many people to this day how many people believe that haters drove him away from SW. Seems like he had issues that had nothing to do with anything related to SW.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Fandom?

There isn't a single fandom for SW anymore. It was said here a week or so ago and I agree: there are several fandoms in SW now and some of them are quite hostile to one another. So which fandom is taking on which fandom in this scenario? As I noted is it those defending ths show and its stars against the haters? Some other group(s)?

I also maintain that there are even further breakdowns within even the larger "buckets" we might group together where they don't even agree.

And amusingly (perhaps) its not even really a concern for this corner of the web IMO. I don't think anyone on this site is hostile to each other. By and large it seems respectful of views of SW even when in disagreement. Take @Ghost93 and I: our views on TLJ. Ghost loves TLJ, I can't stand it. But in no way do I think lesser of Ghost for said opinions for liking something I don't and I would hope the same is likewise extended to him from me.
Personally I think all of the various fandoms, however many that might be, should condemn any hatred that is being spewed. Its one thing to dislike a piece of content, its another to threaten people idle or otherwise. That should not be part of any fandom, again however many that might be. Because right or wrong the Star Wars fandom is viewed as one entity. And the longer this type of hatred goes on the more its going to be seen as a toxic fandom not worth being part of or tolerating.

And I agree its not really a thing on this site thankfully. But there is a reason why the term Fandom Menace is used by those spewing the hatred, its because they like to think they represent and speak for the fandom. So its why everyone in the fandom gets lumped in with them, again for right or wrong.

Anyways just my two cents for what its worth.

erasure fan1

Celebration is just like D23, its going to be only the most hyped fans. So of course you aren't going to see any boos or other toxic traits.

I don't think its as shutdown at you think it is, if it was you wouldn't get the things like the threats to Wookiepedia for just updating the canon profile for a character.
It's not just celebration, it's any star wars event. And you can't say, that's just the most dedicated fan base. Because that's exactly the point. The majority of the fanbase is exactly how they should be, supportive when it's warranted and critical when it's not.

To play devil's advocate for a sec, what makes you think those threats came from fans? Anyone can go to wookiepedia and see what they changed. So I'd say it's very likely that some blowhards, hiding behind star wars fandom, are to blame. This gets picked up by the media and we see "toxic star wars fans!"
It's surprising how many people to this day how many people believe that haters drove him away from SW. Seems like he had issues that had nothing to do with anything related to SW.
It came up very recently on here. I believe I linked to the article with his mom. It's actually very interesting the things she had to say. It sounds like he's improving but not ready to get back into star wars. If he ever does, I think he will get a huge welcome back.

erasure fan1

isn't it then the responsibility of the entire fandom to condemn and thus throw out such bad actors if they don't want to be lumped in with those doing the attacks?
I'd say we do. A lot of us here that are critical of Disney star wars try and say the people who harass, bully and attack don't represent the fans. But sure as the twin suns will set on Tatooine, we'll be told nope, it is so much bigger than you think. Or somehow we are hiding something. The other way I combat them, is I don't give them a platform. I don't repost their articles, tweets, YouTube content and say, see look at all these hateful fans! It just gives them a bigger voice in my opinion.

doctornick

It seems they people making the show went out of their way to not follow the lore as the only way distance itself from what came before

As I have said before, I think the show is kinda mediocre. It's not bad like Boba Fett nor do I feel like I'm wasting my time watching it - but I am not exactly enthused about it and overflowing with excitement to see the next episode, etc.

That said, I'm perplexed about this statement. How is this show not following "the lore"? And how is it "distancing itself" from established Star Wars canon? I don't understand. It's rather unremarkable as a series but doesn't see like anything that is trying to rewrite or change the IP in any substantial way.

Last edited:

C33Mom

As I have said before, I think the show is kinda mediocre. It's not bad like Boba Fett nor do I feel like I'm wasting my time watching it - but I am not exactly enthused about it and overflowing with excitement to see the next episode, etc.

That said, I'm perplexed about this statement. How is this show not following "the lore"? And how is it "distancing itself" from established Star Wars canon? I don't understand. It's rather unremarkable as a series but doesn't see like anything that is trying to rewrite or change the IP in any substantial way.
To the contrary, there are nods to really deep cuts in SW lore. I think those who say the series has no respect for the IP either aren’t that familiar with Legends or it’s a criticism that there isn’t a high enough ratio of white guys to everyone else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom