Star Wars: The Acolyte

Phroobar

I think Disney Star Wars is much like starting a new sports team.

Totally new identity, new players.

This new sports team does not have lifelong diehard fans.

This new team must grow its new fan base.

And much like a sports team, its not necessary to win to grow the fan base, folks only need to identify with the new team in some way.

That said, if the new team is winning, folks become fans much faster.
Disney Star Wars is the Bad News Bears of sci-fi.

doctornick

oh simple, acting was fantastic, especially from the kids. Dialogue was really well written, the story was well thought out and hinted at some very sinister things. Most interesting is the clues they gave about the Jedi's involvement on what happened.
I really feel like I watched a different episode. Thought this was a big step down from the first two episodes. Thought the dialogue in particular was kinda bad in the third episode.

BrianLo

Obviously the 18% audience score was reviewed bombed. But even if it wasn't, I'm guessing it would be in the 50-65% range which isn't great either.

It’s exactly when things are ‘fine’ - far removed from atrocious or excellent that these threads absolutely explode.

It’s clunky in a Clone Wars / Prequels way so far. I think 60% would be a fair perspective. With tons of upside and downside as this seems to hinge on an underlying mystery and if it’s ‘cool’ that could prove redemptive. If it’s lame the downside swings the same.

But the currently living cast in the present of the show actually seems pretty good, so I’m not bothered that the third episode (flashback) was the weaker of them.

Willmark

Obviously the 18% audience score was reviewed bombed. But even if it wasn't, I'm guessing it would be in the 50-65% range which isn't great either.
This is very curious when you think about it.

Let’s assume it drops to 10%, meaning 90% dislike it. What is the “true” number then? If we listen to the critics it’s upwards of 85% ?

Yeah, no way.

So let’s say we tack on 40% more for “review bombing” that brings it up to Book of Boba Fett levels (around ~50% give or take.) that is still far and away a big gap with what the critics are assigning this.

In no galaxy, even one far, far away can one sugar coat this. The Acolyte’s issues are the results of the people who created it, not the fans watching it.

Disstevefan1

I don’t understand this “blame the viewer” stuff. If the content was good and had wide appeal, more folks would watch it and like it, whatever it is.

If content is knowingly created with a limited appeal, they will get their limited viewership, they will love it, and that’s that. Mission accomplished.

Everyone will not like everything and no one should be forced or shamed into watching it.

doctornick

I don’t understand this “blame the viewer” stuff. If the content was good and had wide appeal, more folks would watch it and like it, whatever it is.

I don’t think it’s “blaming the viewer”. It’s blaming the person who isn’t a viewer and just just wants to crap on something.

If something doesn’t seem interesting just… don’t watch it. Why complain about it?

If content is knowingly created with a limited appeal, they will get their limited viewership, they will love it, and that’s that. Mission accomplished.

Everyone will not like everything and no one should be forced or shamed into watching it.

I don’t disagree with this in principle but I don’t see in what way The Acolyte specifically would be described as “knowingly created with limited appeal”. That’s what I don’t get. I mean, if someone just wasn’t sold by the trailers or watched but wasn’t enthralled then cool. But I don’t really see anything about the show that seems like it is trying to be intentionally divisive or designed for only a small subset of people.

Willmark

It's such an odd angle. There is legitimate criticism of Acolyte and there is plenty to run with.

I'm not sure I'm watching the next episode. I just finished Mando season 3 and (likely) next up is Obi-wan. I've already seen parts of the duel and know its great from what I've read its the rest of it that apparently has flaws. We'll see what that brings.

MoonRakerSCM

It's such an odd angle. There is legitimate criticism of Acolyte and there is plenty to run with.

I'm not sure I'm watching the next episode. I just finished Mando season 3 and (likely) next up is Obi-wan. I've already seen parts of the duel and know its great from what I've read its the rest of it that apparently has flaws. We'll see what that brings.

Obi-Wan had... a few moments (mostly all around Vader). But man, there's a lot of stuff that just makes less and less sense the more you think about it (as in, within a few seconds of seeing it) and there's a lot of bad/downright stupid stuff.

doctornick

Obi-Wan had... a few moments (mostly all around Vader). But man, there's a lot of stuff that just makes less and less sense the more you think about it (as in, within a few seconds of seeing it) and there's a lot of bad/downright stupid stuff.

I would definitely rate The Acolyte so far as better than Obi Wan (and Boba Fett as low as that bar is). Honestly, I am enjoying Acolyte more than Andor which while well made I found really boring. I'd rather have something that's entertaining but uneven than higher quality but uninteresting.

As I'm thinking about it, after The Mandalorian, I think Bad Batch is probably my second favorite Star Wars show by Disney.

MoonRakerSCM

I actually enjoyed Boba Fett for the 1st.... 2 thirds (the first third being Boba and the sand people, the second third being Mando season 2.5) but it just amounted to horrible in that last third or so. Mandolorian S3 was meh. I actually was enjoying Bad Batch S2 overall but my D+ expired before it finished. I'll have to catch the rest of S2 and Acolyte at a friends house when I can convince them to watch them.

Indy_UK

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon and come across as a Boomer but after the 3 episodes, im really struggling. Nothing is grabbing my intention and my love of Star Wars is phasing away under Disney. I'll give it another episode and hope it turns around. From interviews I have briefly seen too, it really doesn't look like the cast or director cares for the source material.

I'll stick with Mando and the films.

The Mom

Premium Member
I don't get how anyone who hates the Acolyte went ahead and watched Episode 3 such that they can now talk about how much they still hate it.

Stop hate watching. It's not good for your mind or soul.
Maybe they hope it will get better? Maybe they are just attracted to watching what they consider disasters?

I haven't watched, so have no opinion either way.

Hawkeye_2018

I enjoyed most of Obi-Wan. But yea, canon wise, it makes no sense and shouldn't exist. But look at it from more of a 'Legends canon' type and it's pretty enjoyable.

erasure fan1

I don't get how anyone who hates the Acolyte went ahead and watched Episode 3 such that they can now talk about how much they still hate it.

Stop hate watching. It's not good for your mind or soul.
The reaction most had here, was that the first 2 episodes, while not great, at least did elicit a, ok let's see where this goes type vibe. I know there's a portion of people here who think the whole world just wants star wars to fail all the time. But from what I've seen, most here have given it a fair shake. (Yes I know, there are people who do)

But I know for me, I want to like it, I want to like everything star wars. Unfortunately this one hasn't come out of the gates all that strong in my opinion. The episodes have progressed the wrong way for me. Instead of it gaining momentum, it's gotten weaker in my opinion. There's still more time, hopefully this week it turns the corner. The halfway point might determine who gives up, or who sticks it out.

Disstevefan1

I don’t think it’s “blaming the viewer”. It’s blaming the person who isn’t a viewer and just just wants to crap on something.

If something doesn’t seem interesting just… don’t watch it. Why complain about it?

I don’t disagree with this in principle but I don’t see in what way The Acolyte specifically would be described as “knowingly created with limited appeal”. That’s what I don’t get. I mean, if someone just wasn’t sold by the trailers or watched but wasn’t enthralled then cool. But I don’t really see anything about the show that seems like it is trying to be intentionally divisive or designed for only a small subset of people.
I guess the folks who loved Lucas Star Wars are upset that Lucas Star Wars is gone and is being replaced with Disney Star Wars.

If there is "blame" for that, George Lucas is the only one to blame for that. HE APPOINTED Kathleen Kennedy to takeover when he sold Star Wars to Disney. If he really wanted to maintain his vision he would appointed someone he was sure would do that.

To be fair to George, KK probably yessed George all the way to the moment the sale was official then went in the direction she wanted knowing he (or anyone else) could do nothing to stop it.

And ITS FINE KK went in the direction she wanted to go in, SHE IS THE BOSS.

The simple fact is, Disney Star Wars does not have the mass appeal Lucas Star Wars did.

I am not sure even Lucas could recapture the lighting in the bottle his original Star Wars had today.

erasure fan1

HE APPOINTED Kathleen Kennedy to takeover when he sold Star Wars to Disney. If he really wanted to maintain his vision he would appointed someone he was sure would do that.

To be fair to George, KK probably yessed George all the way to the moment the sale was official then went in the direction she wanted knowing he (or anyone else) could do nothing to stop it.
I really believe he thought he did have the right person to let him control the artistic direction. All while not having to dedicate all his time or use his money. I complain about Kennedy for how she's handling star wars. But I'm not really sure she intentionally bamboozled Lucas. I'd guess it was mostly Iger. He's the one who threw Georges scripts in the trash.

It all seems to point to Iger saying, yea George, we'll buy star wars and you can be the creative consultant, it'll be great. And as George walked out the room, scripts in the trash while under his breath he says sucker. I'd bet Kennedy didn't fight it, but what's she going do? When your boss says we're going in a different direction, you do what you're told.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really believe he thought he did have the right person to let him control the artistic direction. All while not having to dedicate all his time or use his money. I complain about how Kennedy for how she's handling star wars. But I'm not really sure she intentionally bamboozled Lucas. I'd guess it was mostly Iger. He's the one who threw Georges scripts in the trash.

It all seems to point to Iger saying, yea George, we'll buy star wars and you can be the creative consultant, it'll be great. And as George walked out the room, scripts in the trash while under his breath he says sucker. I'd bet Kennedy didn't fight it, but what's she going do? When your boss says we're going in a different direction, you do what you're told.
The accounts…including a key one from braverman…seem to confirm that the impression they got was Lucas picked Kennedy to be his foothold

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom