Star Wars survey from Disney

Bob Saget

I understand the sentiment, and I'm sympathetic to the populist message here, but...isn't this sort of thing basically what DHS is for? A collection of rides mostly based on movie franchises? Should GMR only have Disney movies? Is there too much Muppet influence over DHS?
Those varieties are fine at the park as either individual attractions, or part of an attraction such as GMR. But my point was making an entire themed land outta something Disney didn't create is a little much. No offense to the galaxy far far away.

erasure fan1

Those varieties are fine at the park as either individual attractions, or part of an attraction such as GMR. But my point was making an entire themed land outta something Disney didn't create is a little much. No offense to the galaxy far far away.
Chewy, pull his arms off!

;)

MerlinTheGoat

The name of the attraction, not attractions, in that photo is Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition. There were two versions of the ride you could experience, but it was one ride. Sort of how the Matterhorn has two different sides to experience. The ride would have incorporated the Jungle Cruise and the Disneyland Railroad into the attraction. Yes, the Jungle Cruise and The Disneyland Railroad are two separate attractions. The ride in the concept art above is one ride, Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition. Once again, like @danlb_2000 and I said, a Z ticket and without a doubt, would have been considered the BEST attraction ever.

Here's an article, if you'd like to read about it.

http://micechat.com/blogs/the-626/3340-lost-expeditions-disneylands-indiana-jones.html
I have read up about it, but I cannot agree that had it ended up happening, the entire thing would have been considered one single attraction. What we see there is the EMV (which eventually came to be) and a roller coaster. They likely intertwined in parts, but I would think most people would consider a coaster and something more akin to a dark ride should be considered separate attractions.

The Matterhorn is a single structure with two tracks, same can be said of WDW's Space Mountain. Or perhaps even the now gone Mr Toad at WDW. The Indy art however shows two completely different rides (albeit with a similar type of theme), with completely different ride systems. I'm sure that had this concept been followed through with in its entirety, they would have considered the rides different attractions. I don't consider this comparable to the Matterhorn's dual tracks.

I'm not denying the idea was awesome, but I definitely don't think an EMV and a coaster are two ways to ride the same ride. They're intertwining attractions but still different separate rides.

Californian Elitist

I have read up about it, but I cannot agree that had it ended up happening, the entire thing would have been considered one single attraction. What we see there is the EMV (which eventually came to be) and a roller coaster. They likely intertwined in parts, but I would think most people would consider a coaster and something more akin to a dark ride should be considered separate attractions.

The Matterhorn is a single structure with two tracks, same can be said of WDW's Space Mountain. Or perhaps even the now gone Mr Toad at WDW. The Indy art however shows two completely different rides (albeit with a similar type of theme), with completely different ride systems. I'm sure that had this concept been followed through with in its entirety, they would have considered the rides different attractions. I don't consider this comparable to the Matterhorn's dual tracks.

Two different ride experiences, yes... But it's not like the EMV experience would have went by one name and the coaster experience would have went by another. On the map, it would have read "Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition." Boom. One ride. Two experiences in one attraction. The map wouldn't have separated the two. Yes, they're different experiences, but they share the same name.

MerlinTheGoat

I would still think that they'd probably separate the two in some way had the idea actually happened. Maybe with the same title name of Lost Expedition but give them separate subtitles.

Doesn't matter though, won't ever happen. I'd be absolutely shocked if it did. I can't see Disney building ANYTHING like this (on that scale with all the amazing sets, effects and probably animatronics) unless something amazing happens to the company to fundamentally change the leadership. Though I think if they did go all out on it and did build it, it would still be an amazing and world class attraction, even though the concept is now decades old.

Tim_4

Osbourne to Sunset would be a last case scenario. There are better area's for it. But if this does all happen, Osbourne does have to get re-located, it gets too many people every year for them to stop doing it.....
I agree they should and would keep and relocate it, but I don't think Sunset is even a remote possibility. Osborne lights transform an area with literally no attractions (as LMA isn't a nighttime show) into an unpassable gridlock of humanity. Sunset is already an impassable gridlock of humanity before, during, and after Fantasmic. There's just no way they'd try to squeeze those two crowds into one space.

Maybe Osborne could be moved to Disney Springs? Or expanded and put around World Showcase Lagoon. Liberty Square? I dunno. Just not Sunset.

articos

I'm not denying the idea was awesome, but I definitely don't think an EMV and a coaster are two ways to ride the same ride. They're intertwining attractions but still different separate rides.
Correct, the art shows two rides intertwining through the same environment. One was an EMV adventure, the other a mine coaster. They were two separate ride concepts, and the coaster had other spaces to run through outside the EMV show environment. Edit: I skimmed, so I thought the question was about whether the ride was both an EMV and coaster in one or not. The original concept for this did have it as one attraction with 2 different experiences, i.e., choose your adventure, left or right. The mine train made use of more space, the EMV stayed in the show building, with the coaster track running through as well.

NewfieFan

To be clear: there have been surveys sent to both DL and WDW guests, right? There's one survey that talks about Star Wars "at Disneyland" and another talking about Star Wars "at Walt Disney World", right?

Well, mine only referenced WDW (not a mention about DL), although the survey was from DL. I am a WDW premium pass holder and was asked in Dec. when I entered one of the four parks (don't remember which one) if I would take a survey at home. The survey showed up in my inbox sometime late yesterday (March 20th).

tl77

So this Star Wars land would basically consist of the current Star Tours ride, Gift shop, and Jedi Training show, a re-theme of The Backlot Express restaurant into something like the Cantina rumored for Paris, and then some other type of attraction between the two?

I really can't imagine what sort of ride or attraction they could do though, Star Tours already covers all the stuff in the first 6 films, it seems Star Tours would be a hard thing to top

jt04

So this Star Wars land would basically consist of the current Star Tours ride, Gift shop, and Jedi Training show, a re-theme of The Backlot Express restaurant into something like the Cantina rumored for Paris, and then some other type of attraction between the two?

I really can't imagine what sort of ride or attraction they could do though, Star Tours already covers all the stuff in the first 6 films, it seems Star Tours would be thing to top

This is what I would do with an expanded 'Traders' to sell all the merchandise that is surely on the way. (from now on will Star Wars collectables be categorized as "Lucas era" and "Disney era"?)

I don't think they want to go overboard at DHS with Star Wars for regular guests. An immersive restaurant in the manner of BatB would be nice where the BE is.

The clincher should be a boutique park. Similar to what was suggested for DAK but based on Star Wars. I was going to bluesky this but it seems the rumor is already out there. So, no need.

Star Wars Boutique Park. That's the ticket!

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I really can't imagine what sort of ride or attraction they could do though, Star Tours already covers all the stuff in the first 6 films, it seems Star Tours would be a hard thing to top

If this is what is really planned then I think the additional attraction needs to be something really ground breaking. DHS already has a Star Wars presence and is already drawing the Star Wars fans, if they really want to draw some big numbers into the park they are going to have to do more then just a Cantina restaurant and some new shops.

tl77

If this is what is really planned then I think the additional attraction needs to be something really ground breaking. DHS already has a Star Wars presence and is already drawing the Star Wars fans, if they really want to draw some big numbers into the park they are going to have to do more then just a Cantina restaurant and some new shops.

yeah this is what I was thinking it needs to be more than just a restaurant, are there any super cool ride patents floating around that would work for Star Wars?

I remember seeing this concept art for Disneyland Paris, pre-Discoveyland they had a Star Wars theme in mind

RxHic.jpg

Tim_4

Lack of creative attractions didn't stop Disney from spending $450M on the New Fantasyland.;)
They could do more with $450M at DHS than at MK. New FL is basically smack in the middle of the busiest land in any park anywhere (except maybe WWoHP). It required a LOT of third shift labor, which is very expensive. There are also unique engineering concerns with the utilidors and the Magic Kingdom berm. Building at Studios would likely be much quicker and cheaper, especially in the SOA/Backlot space.

GiveMeTheMusic

But how much cheaper? WDI has become so ridiculously overpriced that I'm afraid they'd charge a billion for what should cost 400 mil. Consider what had to be cut from DCA's redo in order to make budget: the Fun Wheel queue refurb. Honest to God, how much do you think adding some permanent structures to that queue would have cost?

The answer: too much.

If I was George K/Tom S/Bob I, I would do some hard wrangling with WDI to figure out just where the money is going.

And whatever the amount was that FLE cost, it was too much. Storybook Circus (including one ready-made spinner and three pre-existing tents), a ready to clone dark ride (no development costs), a lovely sit-down restaurant and an elaborate meet-n-greet...shouldn't have cost whatever WDI charged.

doctornick

So, since we are talking Star Wars expansion, what ever happened to the permanent Jedi Training Academy (with AA Yoda) going into the Sounds Dangerous space? Seems like that would be a relatively easy thing to do and could be added quickly if TDO wanted to get more SW in the park sooner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom