Star Wars survey from Disney

NoChesterHester

So, since we are talking Star Wars expansion, what ever happened to the permanent Jedi Training Academy (with AA Yoda) going into the Sounds Dangerous space? Seems like that would be a relatively easy thing to do and could be added quickly if TDO wanted to get more SW in the park sooner.

There was a good amount of talk about that right around the time ST2.0 opened. Jedi Traning could span the different eras and wouldn't necessarily conflict with anything they have planned for the new Trillogy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
But how much cheaper? WDI has become so ridiculously overpriced that I'm afraid they'd charge a billion for what should cost 400 mil. Consider what had to be cut from DCA's redo in order to make budget: the Fun Wheel queue refurb. Honest to God, how much do you think adding some permanent structures to that queue would have cost?

The answer: too much.

If I was George K/Tom S/Bob I, I would do some hard wrangling with WDI to figure out just where the money is going.

And whatever the amount was that FLE cost, it was too much. Storybook Circus (including one ready-made spinner and three pre-existing tents), a ready to clone dark ride (no development costs), a lovely sit-down restaurant and an elaborate meet-n-greet...shouldn't have cost whatever WDI charged.

First, they probably know where every sent is since they budget WDI. I'm not an employee so I couldn't be wholly certain but I have to think WDI submits proposals and Disney ultimately says here is the budget, do x y and cut z. That is why you get cuts... The macro company doesn't want to spend too much on projects. WDI likely asks for large budgets because they want to do Disney quality work. Look at EPCOT, that was very very expensive. They did not hold back on that budget and they had an extraordinary result.

misterID

I agree with what you said about CL, but how is Paris more likely to invest in it? You guys are just being cynical.

I was talking about OLC. I thought Paris was getting Marvel, but that was in their Studios park, I believe.

From what Eddie described, the Grizzly Gulch mine train ride in Hong Kong was what an Indy Mine train would have been like, or was intended to be, just replace the Bear AA's with Indy and Temple Of Doom bad guys.

wdwbrian

As much as I love Star Wars, I have no desire for Disney to create an entire "land" based solely upon something it had no hand in imagining or creating. Between Potter at Uni, and Avatar along with this rumor for WDW...the Central Fla theme parks are taking on a new genre of: "Look what we bought!".

I wanna see some original source material poured into the parks. There are more than enough windows of opportunity for this. (Personally I've always wanted a major Lion King E-ticket of sorts for DAK). Rather than buying up all the cool things out there, and implementing them into the parks as new lands.

No problem with the Star Tours attraction. It is great. But as far as an entire land goes...let's see some more legit Disney. Just my two cents.

You seem to forget that Cinderella, winnie the pooh, Peter Pan ETC, ETC, ETC, are not Walt Disney original brands or stories. So it is more about taking a story and bringing it to life in a theme park including the new additions to the Walt Disney portfolio like it or not.

MattM

Radiator Springs is supposed to take place on Route 66 in Arizona. It works for DCA because Route 66 travels through California and the Arizona landscapes look a lot like the California ones. Radiator Springs can easily be a place in California.

Arizona and California look alike. New York... Not so much. And the backdrop thing doesn't work in DCA, since it's not a studios park. That's an USH thing.

Star Wars Land, if it happens, should go to Florida.

Parts of Radiator Springs look like parts of California just like parts of New York, NY look like parts of San Francisco, CA, no? I get and agree with your point though. Should definitely be in Florida.

juniorthomas

Parts of Radiator Springs look like parts of California just like parts of New York, NY look like parts of San Francisco, CA, no? I get and agree with your point though. Should definitely be in Florida.

Endor was shot outside of San Francisco. It would work at DCA too.

TDO and TDA are going to put rides into parks regardless of the state the park happens to be in. Last time I checked, the Gamma Quadrant of Sector 4 isn't in Orlando, nor is New Orleans Square a part of Anaheim. I don't think this hurts those rides at all.

jt04

Thought of the day....

I can see where 500 million could go into the park and fulfill many of the rumors floating around including upgraded Star Wars mini-land features.

Could it be possible that, in addition, a Star Wars boutique park could be built that is financed separately? Perhaps Disney could find a way to fund such a park while keeping the costs off the books. Similar to the way they creatively financed the Disney Springs infrastructure improvements. Perhaps using outside investors?

Just food for thought.

PS- Last post from me today, so let the craziness commence. :confused:

Macca250

I'm probably going to get shot for this comment :oops: , and I know I'm probably stupid for even thinking about it considering its never going to happen. BUT, because Disney seem so intent lately in buying IPs left, right and centre. Why are they trying to force it onto their existing parks, I mean Avatar in AK - it does not fit the theme regardless of what angle you look at it! Star Wars and Indiana Jones? Hollywood Studios has very little capacity left and a Star Wars area is not what the park is supposed to be about, neither is it right for Carsland to be thrown into the mix in my opinion. Its meant to be about show-business, and its fine to put themed attractions within the park as long as it fits the area its being put into. A Lucasfilm production themed area would be fine, but not just 'Star Wars land' or 'Cars Land'. Seriously?

Considering Disney World has so much undeveloped land and they're struggling for space in DHS, and the other four park's infrastructures just aren't capable of these rumored expansions. Well, that's at least without seriously compromising their original themes and upsetting the layout. So I ask this with my tongue firmly in my cheek - Would a fifth gate be a nice option?

A park that could be designed with these IPs in mind, and future-proofing it with room for expansion to fit in whatever else they dream up buying in the near future. Imagine combining these random properties Disney has purchased in a decent park with Disney quality attractions and experiences without ripping the original four to shreds. AND lets be honest, the parks are too crowded these days anyway; an additional park could seriously ease up congestion.

I know its a silly thought, but what would people think? Would a fifth park based around IPs ruin WDW and sit awkwardly next to the existing parks? Or is this a better alternative than throwing Star Wars Land, Avatar Land and Cars Land into existing parks out of desperation rather than because its the right thing for Disney to do? I really don't want Disney World to stop being about Disney, but I'm open to the exciting opportunities these IPs offer, just without destroying the existing parks.o_O

Californian Elitist

Heck no. I've been to both Frisco and New York and they look nothing alike, in my opinion. Frisco has hills with bays and a lot of Downtown-looking areas. New York, or at least Brooklyn and all the other cities we drove through is nothing but tal buildings and apartments. Frisco is also a lot cleaner, but that has nothing to do with looks. Marvel Land, Star Wars Land and DCA don't mesh. Simple as that.

Endor was shot outside of San Francisco. It would work at DCA too.

TDO and TDA are going to put rides into parks regardless of the state the park happens to be in. Last time I checked, the Gamma Quadrant of Sector 4 isn't in Orlando, nor is New Orleans Square a part of Anaheim. I don't think this hurts those rides at all.

Disneyland's theme isn't restricted to one, US state, like DCA is. DCA... CALIFORNIA Adventure. Not California, with a little bit of New York thrown in there, Adventure. A New York backdrop or a land that looked like New York would seriously damage the park's theme. DCA isn't a studios park, like Universal Studios Hollywood is. There's a small New York set at USH, with an NYC backdrop for photo-taking. It works there because it coincides with the theme and mission. Marvel Land won't work at DCA and neither will Star Wars Land.

Tomi-Rocket

I knew it! I knew there was NO WAY in heck that George Lucas signed over his legacy for 1 store, 1 ride and 1 stunt show in all of WDW.

COME ON STAR WARS PARK!!'

MattM

Heck no. I've been to both Frisco and New York and they look nothing alike, in my opinion. Frisco has hills with bays and a lot of Downtown-looking areas. New York, or at least Brooklyn and all the other cities we drove through is nothing but tal buildings and apartments. Frisco is also a lot cleaner, but that has nothing to do with looks. Marvel Land, Star Wars Land and DCA don't mesh. Simple as that.
I meant when you're in the downtown core.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm probably going to get shot for this comment :oops: , and I know I'm probably stupid for even thinking about it considering its never going to happen. BUT, because Disney seem so intent lately in buying IPs left, right and centre. Why are they trying to force it onto their existing parks, I mean Avatar in AK - it does not fit the theme regardless of what angle you look at it! Star Wars and Indiana Jones? Hollywood Studios has very little capacity left and a Star Wars area is not what the park is supposed to be about, neither is it right for Carsland to be thrown into the mix in my opinion. Its meant to be about show-business, and its fine to put themed attractions within the park as long as it fits the area its being put into. A Lucasfilm production themed area would be fine, but not just 'Star Wars land' or 'Cars Land'. Seriously?

I hate to go down this road for the hundreth time, but I like to quote the opening dedication for Animal Kingdom: "Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn." Avatar fits this perfectly.

Considering Disney World has so much undeveloped land and they're struggling for space in DHS, and the other four park's infrastructures just aren't capable of these rumored expansions. Well, that's at least without seriously compromising their original themes and upsetting the layout. So I ask this with my tongue firmly in my cheek - Would a fifth gate be a nice option?

A park that could be designed with these IPs in mind, and future-proofing it with room for expansion to fit in whatever else they dream up buying in the near future. Imagine combining these random properties Disney has purchased in a decent park with Disney quality attractions and experiences without ripping the original four to shreds. AND lets be honest, the parks are too crowded these days anyway; an additional park could seriously ease up congestion.

I know its a silly thought, but what would people think? Would a fifth park based around IPs ruin WDW and sit awkwardly next to the existing parks? Or is this a better alternative than throwing Star Wars Land, Avatar Land and Cars Land into existing parks out of desperation rather than because its the right thing for Disney to do? I really don't want Disney World to stop being about Disney, but I'm open to the exciting opportunities these IPs offer, just without destroying the existing parks.o_O

The problem with building a fifth gate at this point is that it would add a lot of extra operating expenses over what it would cost to operate the same attractions in the existing parks. Disney is already not spending enough to operate the existing parks, a fifth gate right now would make matters much worse. I think pretty much any IP can reasonably be made to fit in one of the four existing parks.

Californian Elitist

I meant when you're in the downtown core.

Downtown San Francisco:

w167109206.jpg

Downtown New York City:

photo-06-03-09-16-47-10.jpg

MattM

Downtown San Francisco:

w167109206.jpg

Downtown New York City:

photo-06-03-09-16-47-10.jpg
Yes, I agree that the characteristics of New York and San Francisco differ (even though you chose pics of vastly different parts of NYC to San Fran to show). My point was that California's landscape is so diverse that different parts do resemble other parts of the country. That's all. No threat tangent intended.

Californian Elitist

Yes, I agree that the characteristics of New York and San Francisco differ (even though you chose pics of vastly different parts of NYC to San Fran to show). My point was that California's landscape is so diverse that different parts do resemble other parts of the country. That's all. No threat tangent intended.

I see your point, and I didn't feel I was being threatened at all. I picked two vastly different pictures on purpose, as you might guess. I understand California is diverse in landscape and everything, but building a New York section just doesn't work because it's California Adventure. It really won't work. Walking into DCA and seeing Paradise Pier, Buena Vista Street, the San Francisco buildings... Then all of a sudden, running into New York... No.

MattM

I see your point, and I didn't feel I was being threatened at all. I picked two vastly different pictures on purpose, as you might guess. I understand California is diverse in landscape and everything, but building a New York section just doesn't work because it's California Adventure. It really won't work. Walking into DCA and seeing Paradise Pier, Buena Vista Street, the San Francisco buildings... Then all of a sudden, running into New York... No.

Sorry, that should have been thread tangent. Like I said in my first post, I do agree with you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom