Star Wars survey from Disney

stevehousse

Just received the survey and took it! Quite extensive! I opted for the 3 themed lands and 1 ride in each land. Taking out Indy and that back parade float area, leaves more than enough room to rehab that whole corner of the park into that! The speeder bike coaster would fit perfect in back in that parade float area!

tl77

I hate to go down this road for the hundreth time, but I like to quote the opening dedication for Animal Kingdom: "Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn." Avatar fits this perfectly.

it says Dragons, but not blue cat-like aliens!?!?! great, now they have throw that dedication out and start over

herc

Looking at at google map of DHS, I find there is plenty of room to do so much to redo this entire park.

IF TDO, Imagineers, and Iger WANT to spend the cash to do it, it will happen. There is room for both and Indy and Star Wars areas. There is room for more around Pixar Place.

Moving the entrance road and the parking tolls area out over a bit, they could take up all that extra space and demolish three buildings behind the Stunt Spectacular. Also I don't think we really need Echo Lake or as big of a water area, Boat and Dino goodbye.

There is also a ton of room behind the Theatre of the Stars and area leading up to Fantasmic.

Again, if there is a will or desire, it will happen. All speculation is just that, speculation.

GiveMeTheMusic

First, they probably know where every sent is since they budget WDI. I'm not an employee so I couldn't be wholly certain but I have to think WDI submits proposals and Disney ultimately says here is the budget, do x y and cut z. That is why you get cuts... The macro company doesn't want to spend too much on projects. WDI likely asks for large budgets because they want to do Disney quality work. Look at EPCOT, that was very very expensive. They did not hold back on that budget and they had an extraordinary result.

The only problem with this theory is that Universal is doing Disney quality work for untold millions less per project.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Why do they need a SW survey? Is no one in the company aware of western pop culture? Just look at this thread...

On a side note, I filled out a Disney Star Wars survey in the mail. It confused me. All the questions were about rather or not I wanted to see "original actors" or "good looking" ones. Odd.
paranoid.gif

Sue_Vongello

Why do they need a SW survey? Is no one in the company aware of western pop culture? Just look at this thread...

On a side note, I filled out a Disney Star Wars survey in the mail. It confused me. All the questions were about rather or not I wanted to see "original actors" or "good looking" ones. Odd.
paranoid.gif

Exactly. This confused me too ... why in the world do they need a survey? Are these the least worldly wise executives on the planet? Star Wars is a no brainer winner ... are they that out of tune with what's popular?

Oh yea they are moving forward with Avatar (allegedly) ... :rolleyes:

Maerj

paranoid.gif

This is a joke, right?

Fox&Hound

Oh man, this would be awesome! I'm not even a huge Stars Wars Fan (I know, scandalous) but I know a good idea when I see one. I think Hollywood Studios is a bit stale and needs some love. A best scenario:

• Build out a LucasLand over where Star Tours is now. Fill in echo lake, say goodbye to the Indy Stunt Show (I mean, how long has that been going on), and use that space for something epic and amazing. Build the Catina, exciting rides, maybe a meet and greet that Disney loves so much.
  • CarsLand-My wife and I have been to Carsland in CA and it's flippin' sweet. Very cool, indeed. Build Flo's restaurant because in my humble opinion, the studios is the worst offender for great places to eat. If you add Flo's to a Catina from Lucasland you'd really be talking.
  • Take Pizza Planet and make it Muppets themed to Swedish Chef-another great place to eat and you could call it "Muppets Studios" and you'd have a ride, gift shop, and eatery.
  • Tangled Show. How great would a Snuggly Duckling restaurant be- or maybe too similar to Gaston's
  • Do some cosmetic changes to the front of the park
  • Find somewhere to add more kiddie rides
Hollywood Studios could easily become a new favorite for so many guests and I really think Star Wars and Carsland are the key. I love Magic Kingdom and I "enjoy" the other parks. How great would it be for Disney to have two parks that are a "must do" on everyone's lists??? It seems like too many people are visiting Magic Kingdom and then heading over to Potter.

Come on Disney- please let this be true......

Calvin Coolidge

A lot of things that seem like common sense turn out not to be true. They're going to do surveys and focus-group sessions for everything that they're investing $100+ million in.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
A lot of things that seem like common sense turn out not to be true. They're going to do surveys and focus-group sessions for everything that they're investing $100+ million in.

A hundred million? I was hoping for more than a X-Wing spinner and Wicket the Ewok meet and greet. BTW, are you running next time? I think you'd have a shot.

Mickey87

This makes sense to me. When I first heard that there was rumor Disney was planning on a Avatar land, my first reaction was, "Really? That's cool, I guess..." Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie and I can see making a ride or two out of the movie but an entire land themed to Avatar?

However, I love the idea of a Star Wars themed land. Whenever I go to the park I make it my priority to hit the Star Wars portion of the park. I find myself thinking that it needs to be a little bigger. Between the shop, the ride, the shows and the speeder photo area, it gets very congested over there. Again, this just makes sense to me. Star Wars has a huge fan base and there is money to be made there.

Plus,I really want to hug a jawa...:oops:

Sue_Vongello

This was on gizmodo earlier.

original.jpg

I don't see dlr building this until they see DCA's attendance increasing and or being stable.

I don't recall hearing about Avatar surveys ... which is puzzling for a variety of reasons ... namely Avatar is the no brainer but Star Wars needs research?

Or maybe they learned their lesson and the negative reaction to Avatar made them skiddish about not doing due diligence on all future endeavors.

Tim_4

The only problem with this theory is that Universal is doing Disney quality work for untold millions less per project.
The key word in your "millions" estimate is "untold," meaning neither you, nor I, nor anyone else has any idea what the comparative costs actually look like between the companies. What I do know is that this common perception that Universal is winning the theme park war is just plain false. They were BLEEDING before WWoHP and it's the only card they have. WWoHP has been a tremendous success, sure, but they were coming from a very poor starting point. They need Phase II because the rest of their IP is nowhere near the caliber Disney's portfolio. There's only so long they'll be able to pluck golden apples from the Potter tree before they realize the rest of their orchard is empty.

Turtle

The key word in your "millions" estimate is "untold," meaning neither you, nor I, nor anyone else has any idea what the comparative costs actually look like between the companies. What I do know is that this common perception that Universal is winning the theme park war is just plain false. They were BLEEDING before WWoHP and it's the only card they have. WWoHP has been a tremendous success, sure, but they were coming from a very poor starting point. They need Phase II because the rest of their IP is nowhere near the caliber Disney's portfolio. There's only so long they'll be able to pluck golden apples from the Potter tree before they realize the rest of their orchard is empty.
they're doing some fantastic work on a Jurassic Park expansion, Transformers ride, and Springfield Simpsons land so WWoHP isn't their only basket.

Sue_Vongello

HP Land cost what like 250-300 million and New Fantasyland cost like 450 million, right? We know those numbers ...

We can all agree that while New Fantasyland may be pretty its nothing next to Potter Land ... so ...

So it takes roughly 150-200 million more to make an inferior product?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom