SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's not the late in the show that's bothersome. It's the poor execution of it. Because of episode 3, this episode was a wasted episode because of the way it was constructed. It's not about what they were trying to do, it's the way they did it.
Yet you said...
Sure we learned a couple things but it was nothing that couldn't have been put in the earlier episode
Putting all that intel earlier in the show would have radically nerfed the jedi's story... so yes, it is significant when you say put it all up in ep3

No one wants to skip the details. They just want the details presented in a logical way that makes sense. This show has struggled with that the entire season. There's a good story in there, it's just presented in a very amateur way. Too many head scratch moments, poorly paced episodes, too much wasted time relative to running time. There's also no payoff if you don't spend your time wisely and you have to rush through the ending.
To me it sounds like you're more bothered by the short episodes and are flailing around trying to find stuff to hang on that issue to make it more of a thing.

Sure that's what they've done. They just haven't done it well in my opinion. The multiple viewpoint story is a fine storytelling technique. The big issue I see is how much they actually rehashed. So much of last episode you didn't need to see again. And they didn't even reveal all that happened

Do you watch a lot of recap shows? You seem fixated on the pace and completeness of information... something you'd get spoiled with watching a lot of recaps and post analysis shows.

erasure fan1

I accept that people don't like how the show is presented and how the story is being told. I acknowledge that the show could be better, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed as is.
100% correct. As I said, people can enjoy the show, there's no problem in that. There's been a lot of excuses and defending of poor execution. I like the prequels and I stick up for them, but believe me, I can rip them apart as well as anyone for their issues. No matter if you love the show or hate it, people should be able to admit when something works or when it doesn't.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
100% correct. As I said, people can enjoy the show, there's no problem in that. There's been a lot of excuses and defending of poor execution. I like the prequels and I stick up for them, but believe me, I can rip them apart as well as anyone for their issues. No matter if you love the show or hate it, people should be able to admit when something works or when it doesn't.
But what if what is present works for someone? I can acknowledge that people have issues with things in the various different SW content, but I've never run up against any of them. So why can't it be that someone just likes something and doesn't have an issue with it?

erasure fan1

Putting all that intel earlier in the show would have radically nerfed the jedi's story... so yes, it is significant when you say put it all up in ep3
If you go back, you would see I said that the show would have worked better if they changed it up a bit. The episode could have continued on with only going to the flashbacks to see the new relevant information. Keeping the show from repeating a whole lot of information we already have seen. Again, it's not about putting that information earlier in the show. It's about finding a better way to present it.
To me it sounds like you're more bothered by the short episodes and are flailing around trying to find stuff to hang on that issue to make it more of a thing.
I don't mind shorter episodes. What I mind is shorter episodes, in a short season, with too much filler. In a short season you need to optimize what you have on the screen. This show hasn't done that very well.
Do you watch a lot of recap shows? You seem fixated on the pace and completeness of information... something you'd get spoiled with watching a lot of recaps and post analysis shows.
Not really. Is there something wrong with questioning pace and completeness? Those seem pretty important in my eyes. As I said, there's a good story in there if the production quality could have been better. I'm not sure why that's a hot take?

erasure fan1

But what if what is present works for someone? I can acknowledge that people have issues with things in the various different SW content, but I've never run up against any of them. So why can't it be that someone just likes something and doesn't have an issue with it?
I guess. But if it all works for you, why could it be better as you say? Again, it's fine if you can look past flaws, god knows I do. But if I said Haydens dialogue really worked for me as well as his acting, I'd look kinda foolish. Sure I can look past it, but that doesn't make it good all of a sudden.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I guess. But if it all works for you, why could it be better as you say? Again, it's fine if you can look past flaws, god knows I do. But if I said Haydens dialogue really worked for me as well as his acting, I'd look kinda foolish. Sure I can look past it, but that doesn't make it good all of a sudden.
Everything can be better in some context, heck Citizen Kane could be better as it doesn't appeal to all, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable for those that don't have issues with it.

erasure fan1

and calling the thing 'amauterish' at that... I had a hard time keeping my eye rolls in check...
Ok. Tell me how it's not from a story production standpoint. The special effects are great, and the few fight scenes have been good. Outside of that it's been extremely spotty. Go watch Andor again as a comparison. Compared to a lot of other shows this doesn't hold up. You can look past the flaws and still like it. But to think they're not an issue, that's a bit eye roll.

erasure fan1

Everything can be better in some context, heck Citizen Kane could be better as it doesn't appeal to all, but that doesn't make it any less enjoyable for those that don't have issues with it.
I'm really not sure what you are arguing at this point. I never said you or anyone couldn't like the show. Just because I think there's issues with the way this show has unfolded, doesn't mean it's an attack on you.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm really not sure what you are arguing at this point. I never said you or anyone couldn't like the show. Just because I think there's issues with the way this show has unfolded, doesn't mean it's an attack on you.
I never said it was an attack on me, I accept what you've said in a general sense and not toward me personally. What I'm saying however is that there are people that are just going enjoy something and not see issues with things that you or others have an issue with. You asked why I said things could be better, I gave you an answer and even an example. That everything can be better from a certain point-of-view, even something seen as a great work of art like Citizen Kane.

The long and short of it is that everyone comes from a different perspective. Just because you and some others here find flaws and issues in this show and other Star Wars content doesn't mean that others will agree or even see the same flaws and issues or any at all. That doesn't mean someone isn't being critical, it just means they have a different perspective.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I spent this entire episode asking why it wasn't just a two minute exposition scene with Sol.

Plus having a grown man suddenly get intensely obsessed with basically taking possession of a little girl? That was just... ick... the way that played out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ok. Tell me how it's not from a story production standpoint. The special effects are great, and the few fight scenes have been good. Outside of that it's been extremely spotty.

Again, for some armchairs to call the show amateurish because they don't like show choices is amusing. Are you Spielberg moonlighting on wdwmagic? It's one thing to just say something didn't work for you or you didn't like it... it's another level when someone starts taking the superiority path...

If I were to be critical of the show choices so far... I'd be more critical of roles like the wookie jedi and Yord... the former who seems to serve no real purpose except to set another destination... and Yord conflicts that seem pointless. I think the umbramoth mechanic was pretty contrived... especially when the guy just basically shakes it off afterwards. (peril.. that is just washed off later is stupid)..

I think critiques about focusing on the multiple POVs about the conflict with the witches and the twins are misguided. It's what the show is about! I get some maybe saw the mae hunting jedi and thought that was how this was going... until the show pivoted in ep3.. but mae hunting jedi isn't what this show really is centered around. Nor is it really Qimir... he's the wheel advancing things... but ultimately this show is about the twins.

Last edited:

doctornick

I came out of the episode mostly supporting Sol. I don’t find his actions creepy - they just seem protective to me. In fact I tended to agree with his frustration with Indera just willing to leave the girls there especially when Osha was interested in the Jedi. The thing I dislike about Sol’s actions is why he stabbed and killed the smoke mother. Seemed out of place entirely.

erasure fan1

Again, for some armchairs to call the show amateurish because they don't like show choices is amusing. Are you Spielberg or moonlighting on wdwmagic? It's one thing to just say something didn't work for you or you didn't like it... it's another level when someone starts taking the superiority path...

If I were to be critical of the show choices so far... I'd be more critical of roles like the wookie jedi and Yord... the former who seems to serve no real purpose except to set another destination... and Yord conflicts that seem pointless. I think the umbramoth mechanic was pretty contrived... especially when the guy just basically shakes it off afterwards. (peril.. that is just washed off later is stupid)..

I think critiques about focusing on the multiple POVs about the conflict with the witches and the twins are misguided. It's what the show is about! I get some maybe saw the mae hunting jedi and thought that was how this was going... until the show pivoted in ep3.. but mae hunting jedi isn't what this show really is centered around. Nor is it really Qimir... he's the wheel advancing things... but ultimately this show is about the twins.
First off, you don't need to be Spielberg to see when something is poorly done. Since you brought up reviews, I decided to look some up. And it seems there are a lot of people who were supporting the show, like I've been, agree with what I've said. You still didn't answer my question though.

erasure fan1

The thing I dislike about Sol’s actions is why he stabbed and killed the smoke mother. Seemed out of place entirely.
That's the thing I thought Sol was in the right with. It's one of the problems I've had with a lot of the storytelling with this show. If a darkside force wielding witch turned into some psycho smoke thing. And the kid was starting to disintegrate, I'd have stabbed her too. Lol. It made little sense because why would she do that if she was letting Osha go? You simply say, I'm giving her the choice if she wants to go with you. Then it's, Osha, would you like to be a Jedi? Great, let's go!

Too many times we've seen this kind of thing. Mae - I'm going to turn myself in to the jedi.
Then tries to kill Sol? What was the point of her telling Qimir she was leaving to turn herself in if she wasn't? The show has so many of these moments. They had a good idea for a story but it's just not executed well in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom