SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

CinematicFusion

Fact is that Yoda had a direct duel with Palps and was defeated. He didn't just go into exile for the reasons you said, he went in because he was defeated in battle with the Sith Lord. So if you want to just ignore all the subtext of everything else in the Prequels, sure what you said holds true if you squint your eyes.
Yoda’s retreat was not a mere act of defeat but a calculated move to ensure the survival and future resurgence of the Jedi Order. Ignoring this context and subtext misses the depth of his character and the intricate narrative of the Star Wars saga.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarvelCharacterNerd

I appreciate your opinion, except I do think you are ascribing motives here, as it does not come across the way you are portraying. In fact I don't believe that was the intent of the creators of the show. I rather not go into this further as it would take us into topics that are likely not allowed on this site.
As I said, not ascribing motives that I've said I don't think were intended. I just think it's portrayed (unpleasantly) as a creepy power trip and therefore in no way has teacher/paternal motives. It's just "I see, I want, i take". Which, as you noted, seems to be a Jedi thing. Which again does not portray the Jedi in a good light.
You may want to watch the Prequels again in light of your opinions on this show.
I would only watch them again if paid to. lol
This has been an argument on both sides of the debate for decades now. Are the Jedi within their rights as the peacekeepers of the universe to take force sensitive kids as recruits? Some say yes, some say no. As its a core tenant of the Jedi order and is sanctioned by the galactic government, the answer from a canon standpoint is yes. If you don't agree, well then maybe you fall on the sith side, but that has its own things that can be looked at negatively. So there is no right or wrong answer here.
If stealing kids to force them to follow a specific belief system and life path is the Jedi way, how are they any different from the Empire's oppressive belief that their way of controlling people is the correct one?
Its not as cut and dry and you're making it seem.

At this point we don't know the whole story, we don't know exactly how the twins were created. Its just assumed they are made by manipulating the force, but we don't know how or even if that is the full story. Also since you've only seen the Prequels once and you don't remember a lot of it, you're missing out on a lot of the backstory in canon on why this is seen as a negative by the Jedi.
Agreed we don't know the whole story yet. But short of the moms creating their daughters out of dead babies souls or something or creating them with the intent to destroy the universe, I think the basic message of others trying to prevent children being born to parents who want them, and then stealing them from those parents, is again, not showing the Jedi are the good guys.

And in the same argument that the MCU's expanding universe means stories are becoming less accessible to the general public who may not follow everything 100%, I think other than Mando, whose success - aside from the cute kid - was its standalone quality, all of the Star Wars shows that require you to have a detailed knowledge of the universe (even to those of us who've seen most of it at least once) in order to understand what's going on, are a failure of storytelling. I could vaguely follow Ahsoka having not seen the animated shows because I had a vague understanding of story and characters. And if you're saying that my not having a better familiarity with the PT (or Legends tales or whatever0 leads to my not understanding what's going on in this show - that responsibility shouldn't be on me, the viewer, to have to do more homework, but on the storytellers to inform me as to what's going on. Ahsoka - which I still rather enjoyed even though I knew enough to know how much I was missing - was particularly bad at this, being a pure sequel to two other shows.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As I said, not ascribing motives that I've said I don't think were intended. I just think it's portrayed (unpleasantly) as a creepy power trip and therefore in no way has teacher/paternal motives. It's just "I see, I want, i take". Which, as you noted, seems to be a Jedi thing. Which again does not portray the Jedi in a good light.
Its an interesting take on things, but one that I don't think the creators intended, at least not in the way you're portraying. But that is the thing about storytelling, everyone gets something different from the stories being told.

I would only watch them again if paid to. lol
I can understand that, it just would provide more context to the stories being told.

If stealing kids to force them to follow a specific belief system and life path is the Jedi way, how are they any different from the Empire's oppressive belief that their way of controlling people is the correct one?
You've been using the word "stealing" pretty liberally here. They aren't snatching kids in the middle of the night like some kidnapper.

Agreed we don't know the whole story yet. But short of the moms creating their daughters out of dead babies souls or something or creating them with the intent to destroy the universe, I think the basic message of others trying to prevent children being born to parents who want them, and then stealing them from those parents, is again, not showing the Jedi are the good guys.
The TLDR, manipulating the force to create life is something that is seen as unnatural and something that is seen as using the dark side of the force, similar to cloning. You have to look at this from in-universe beliefs rather than from our universe beliefs. If this was talking about our universe I would agree with you, but we're talking about a fantasy universe that has its own lore.

And in the same argument that the MCU's expanding universe means stories are becoming less accessible to the general public who may not follow everything 100%, I think other than Mando, whose success - aside from the cute kid - was its standalone quality, all of the Star Wars shows that require you to have a detailed knowledge of the universe (even to those of us who've seen most of it at least once) in order to understand what's going on, are a failure of storytelling. I could vaguely follow Ahsoka having not seen the animated shows because I had a vague understanding of story and characters. And if you're saying that my not having a better familiarity with the PT (or Legends tales or whatever0 leads to my not understanding what's going on in this show - that responsibility shouldn't be on me, the viewer, to have to do more homework, but on the storytellers to inform me as to what's going on. Ahsoka - which I still rather enjoyed even though I knew enough to know how much I was missing - was particularly bad at this, being a pure sequel to two other shows.
I don't disagree that the stories need to do a better job at being more standalone in order to be more accessible. However with that said you are talking about a franchise that has over 4 decades of lore associated with it. So you have to expect that they are going to at least sprinkle in that lore into the stories to at least provide context.

spacemt354

Chili's
Speaking facts Irish… what I said holds true and always has. Facts are facts.
Fact is that Yoda had a direct duel with Palps and was defeated. He didn't just go into exile for the reasons you said, he went in because he was defeated in battle with the Sith Lord. So if you want to just ignore all the subtext of everything else in the Prequels, sure what you said holds true if you squint your eyes.
They dueled to a draw. At the end of the duel, Palpatine was dangling from a rafter and Yoda fell to the ground after their force lightning blew each of them backward. Yoda took that opportunity to retreat because at that point, continuing the fight was futile. He 'failed' not only being unable to take out Palpatine, but also as the leader of the Jedi Order, allowing the rise of the Empire to happen under his watch.

Going into exile didn't mean that they are cut off from growth though, if anything they become closer with the force. Qui-Jon learned how to become a force ghost and further train Obi-Wan. Dagobah was chosen because it's one of the purest planets in the galaxy that's strong with the force.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Because the Jedi training is a way to protect the many WHILE ALSO enriching the individual. Instead of the empire only seeking their own enrichment through control.

The Jedi are intrinsically supposed to be selfless... while the empire is the opposite.

I think the basic message of others trying to prevent children being born to parents who want them, and then stealing them from those parents, is again, not showing the Jedi are the good guys.

Or... it's showing how IDEALS don't always lead to pure white snow versions of things. How they could break a few eggs along the way through mistakes... or how individual jedi are not as capable of holding to the ideals as others. It's showing them to be more human .. not necessarily as 'the bad guys'

flynnibus

Premium Member
They dueled to a draw. At the end of the duel, Palpatine was dangling from a rafter and Yoda fell to the ground after their force lightning blew each of them backward. Yoda took that opportunity to retreat because at that point, continuing the fight was futile. He 'failed' not only being unable to take out Palpatine, but also as the leader of the Jedi Order, allowing the rise of the Empire to happen under his watch.
He failed because not only did he lose the fight, he lost the castle. He didn't withdraw to his stronghold... he retreated from it entirely.

no he wasn't going to fight to the death - but he was conceding the battle was lost.

spacemt354

Chili's
He failed because not only did he lose the fight, he lost the castle. He didn't withdraw to his stronghold... he retreated from it entirely.

no he wasn't going to fight to the death - but he was conceding the battle was lost.
The castle was already lost before they dueled. Order 66 already occurred. There was no stronghold to retreat to. Staying alive was one of the only hopes.

Neither character won nor lost the fight because they left the other one alive, hence why Palpatine angrily ordered the troops to “double their search” after they couldn’t find Yoda.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The castle was already lost before they dueled. Order 66 already occurred. There was no stronghold to retreat to. Staying alive was one of the only hopes.

Neither character won nor lost the fight because they left the other one alive, hence why Palpatine angrily ordered the troops to “double their search” after they couldn’t find Yoda.
One can lose a fight, a battle, or even a war, without being killed by their opponent.

flynnibus

Premium Member

They went to the temple to discover what had happened, and when it was discovered it was Sidious and Skywalker - they set out to kill the sith and cut off the head of the snake. Yoda fails in that mission. His mission wasn't to delay, or challenge Sidious.. it was to end him. That was their stated purpose.

He failed and rather than push the attack more, he gives up the fight. No one stopped the fight but Yoda.. because he cuts and runs after making the determination he can't win. We call that losing when you fail to meet your objective :)

At that point Yoda concedes defeat and retreats from the planet... to determine another path to resist.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m aware. But I’m specifically talking about the duel, which ended in a stalemate
So did Palps defeat Yoda to the point of killing him, no. But he did defeat him in the fact that the duel ended in Yoda not completing his task. Call it Palps having a hollow victory if you'd like, but its still a victory nonetheless.

spacemt354

Chili's
They went to the temple to discover what had happened, and when it was discovered it was Sidious and Skywalker - they set out to kill the sith and cut off the head of the snake. Yoda fails in that mission. His mission wasn't to delay, or challenge Sidious.. it was to end him. That was their stated purpose.

He failed and rather than push the attack more, he gives up the fight. No one stopped the fight but Yoda.. because he cuts and runs after making the determination he can't win. We call that losing when you fail to meet your objective :)

At that point Yoda concedes defeat and retreats from the planet... to determine another path to resist.
Again, Palpatine’s objective was to kill Yoda. He failed. Yoda’s objective was to kill Palpatine. He failed. When both fail their objectives in a duel, we call that a stalemate :)

Tha Realest

So did Palps defeat Yoda to the point of killing him, no. But he did defeat him in the fact that the duel ended in Yoda not completing his task. Call it Palps having a hollow victory if you'd like, but it’s still a victory nonetheless.
Palpatine also outlived Yoda, and had offspring.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, Palpatine’s objective was to kill Yoda. He failed. Yoda’s objective was to kill Palpatine. He failed. When both fail their objectives in a duel, we call that a stalemate :)

ehh.. Yoda sought him out, not the other way around. Sidiuous tried to leave the fight from the start... Yoda forced the issue. Sidiuous couldn't finish Yoda because Yoda escaped - not because of a draw. Sidiuous tried to persue but Yoda eluded them. Sidiuous's position remained intact while Yoda failed in his objective and retreated. In every definition of conflicts that's a loss.

No one calls Gettysburg a draw because they failed to kill Lee... lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Started and ended ultimately nowhere.

That is the end of that.

Attachments

• IMG_6955.png
    IMG_6955.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 33

BrianLo

I guess we'll find out shortly if it gets a renewal or not...

If it doesn't make a mention at D23, at the very latest, I think that will be affirmation on its fate. I guess it can be pruned without huge harm in the sense that the Felloni-verse is sort of all they have going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom