SPOILER: The Acolyte -- Disney+ Star Wars -- begins June 5, 2024

doctornick

Like any Disney+ shows, this suffers a good bit from too much runtime being wasted - we don't need 5 minutes of establishing shots without action. It doesn't help that episodes aren't exactly that long (if they were truly 60 minutes of runtime that might allow for spending a few minutes on scenery without hurting things). So far there's probably been about 2 episodes worth of actual activity.

Whoever is running Disney+ needs to take a course in actually making TV shows.

sedati

Like any Disney+ shows, this suffers a good bit from too much runtime being wasted - we don't need 5 minutes of establishing shots without action. It doesn't help that episodes aren't exactly that long (if they were truly 60 minutes of runtime that might allow for spending a few minutes on scenery without hurting things). So far there's probably been about 2 episodes worth of actual activity.

Whoever is running Disney+ needs to take a course in actually making TV shows.
Hard- hard disagree. The time and care to set a scene, to show little creatures or flora, to take the time to have a craft land- this is what sets these shows apart and often above. The concept of what a streaming show is or can be is still in the formative phase but I don’t want a T.V. Show. Yes, there are things that can be learned, but I’m much happier with the mini/limited series concept.

Wendy Pleakley

Hard- hard disagree. The time and care to set a scene, to show little creatures or flora, to take the time to have a craft land- this is what sets these shows apart and often above. The concept of what a streaming show is or can be is still in the formative phase but I don’t want a T.V. Show. Yes, there are things that can be learned, but I’m much happier with the mini/limited series concept.

George Lucas himself said it's a mistake when a show spends time showing off what was built, just because they spent so much money on it.

I believe he was talking about the sail barge scene, and I can see the point. Other than an establishing shot the set exists to host action and story, and they don't linger on it just because it was a major effort to build.

Which is not to say they shouldn't show off creatures or settings, after all they are what make Star Wars what it is. Just needs to be a balance where extra time isn't being taken to show things off just for the sake of it.

That can be one of the issues with streaming shows. There's no format rules. I'm sure it feels restrictive having to write for a broadcast show where everything has to fit into 40 minutes of show and be broken into four acts or what not, but it also forces them to really trim the fat and make every moment count, I imagine.

With streaming, a show can wander aimlessly and there may be a lack of editing because there's no need to make it fit into a set format.

sedati

George Lucas himself said it's a mistake when a show spends time showing off what was built, just because they spent so much money on it.
You’re confusing two separate points. Star Wars has always had wonderful establishing shots. The characters treat these amazing worlds, technology, creatures, etc as mundane. The shows have kept to this consistently.

Wendy Pleakley

You’re confusing two separate points. Star Wars has always had wonderful establishing shots. The characters treat these amazing worlds, technology, creatures, etc as mundane. The shows have kept to this consistently.

I agree with making use of establishing shots, but where I was going is the unrestricted runtimes could lead to showing things off just for the sake of it. I don't think it's happening here but food for thought.

Star Trek The Motion Picture famously devoted five plus minutes to just show off their new ship model. I love that scene but from a general audience engagement metric, it was probably too much self indulgence.

erasure fan1

The problem is with the runtime of the show. Therefore anything that isn't pushing the show forward feels like a waste of time. For me anyway, I feel like there has been a lot of filler for 26/27min episodes. Is it a big issue? I think that's still TBD. If they sprint through the ending and leave a bunch of hanging threads that are relevant to this season. Then it's a big problem because there was plenty of room to cut for the more important stuff.

Phroobar

Star Wars always told things fast. Look at the speeder bike chase in ROTJ or the pod race sequence in TPM. It was Lucas's reaction to 2001 with twenty minutes of watching a ship dock or it's acid trip ending.

The thing I didn't like about Andor was there wasn't anything fast. It poked along.

erasure fan1

Star Wars always told things fast. Look at the speeder bike chase in ROTJ or the pod race sequence in TPM. It was Lucas's reaction to 2001 with twenty minutes of watching a ship dock or it's acid trip ending.

The thing I didn't like about Andor was there wasn't anything fast. It poked along.
Fast is fine and yes, Andor suffered from not having enough of the fast paced star wars to balance the slower parts. I'd say the big difference between the acolyte and andor is this. Andors "slow" was really building to the overall story where as Acolyte a lot of it I'd consider filler.

Phroobar

Fast is fine and yes, Andor suffered from not having enough of the fast paced star wars to balance the slower parts. I'd say the big difference between the acolyte and andor is this. Andors "slow" was really building to the overall story where as Acolyte a lot of it I'd consider filler.
Correct. Andor had a story. Acolyte suffered from no story and/or bad editing and pacing.

BrianLo

I will not deny this series has had some pacing, child acting and structure issues with the way it was put together. But I do think the sum ended up being fairly interesting and I would support a second season (unless they sloppily try and wrap it all up in one episode).

The twins (or at least Osha's) collective fall to the dark side seems relatively justified. Making Sol a villain, who thinks he was a good guy was a good turn. Especially for the type of things Qimir is going to sell as an acceptable grey alternative.

Indara was given a good character arc in the end and we got the Wookie action everyone was craving.

MerlinTheGoat

The third episode should have been combined and consolidated into this one. Waste of time to split them up like that. And they should have cut out a lot of the crap from the third too, would have made things a bit more tolerable. Though I still think much of it was stupid.

I think the writers were probably attempting to paint the jedi as evil meddlers, but to be honest I don't think it was conveyed well at all. Jedi hubris and flaws have been explored successfully in the prequels and Legends material (the Knights of the Old Republic video games, a number of pre-Disney comic books etc). Here though it felt more like child services noticing red flags with parents. That again doesn't seem like the intent, but it demonstrates some of the shortcomings of the writing that I sided more with the jedi than the witches.

These witches seem less overtly evil than some of their Dathomirian counterparts at least (Mother Talzin being a far more malevolent being), but their manipulation and experimentation on the twins is disturbing. I don't know what they're planning with the "one person split into two" business the Jedi mentioned, but it's another one of those things that made me side more with Sol. Koril is a pretty bad mother. She's a bit abusive and feeds Mae's violent behavior on purpose. That said, Aniseya isn't without fault either. She acted really creepy and invasive with Padawan Torbin. And she was experimenting on her own children. So there was in fact something very culty and dark stuff going on there. I don't blame Sol for being concerned.

Koril no doubt survived and is most likely connected in some way to Qimir and the Sith. Sith hate Jedi, so it would fit her alignment. She even already has yellow eyes much like Sith do. Where it goes from there, i'm not certain. They're taking SOME ideas from Legends, but I wonder if more specific characters such as Plagueis will appear.

There's an obvious and "logical" way to introduce Plagueis into this new story. Mae and Osha feel like "prototypes" of Anakin. Though likely not nearly as powerful, their M-count is stated to be extremely high but they aren't treated with the sort of Messianic praise that Anakin was. So Plagueis could have been taught this power by Koril and elevated it to create Anakin (whom Lucas said had potential to become twice as powerful as Sidious).

Guessing this is going to end off on a massive cliffhanger. It's the last episode coming up, and I don't see how they can really wrap everything up in the time left.

Last edited:

Trauma

The third episode should have been combined and consolidated into this one. Waste of time to split them up like that. And they should have cut out a lot of the crap from the third too, would have made things a bit more tolerable. Though I still think much of it was stupid.

I think the writers were probably attempting to paint the jedi as evil meddlers, but to be honest I don't think it was conveyed well at all. Jedi hubris and flaws have been explored successfully in the prequels and Legends material (the Knights of the Old Republic video games, a number of pre-Disney comic books etc). Here though it felt more like child services noticing red flags with parents. That again doesn't seem like the intent, but it demonstrates some of the shortcomings of the writing that I sided more with the jedi than the witches.

These witches seem less overtly evil than some of their Dathomirian counterparts at least (Mother Talzin being a far more malevolent being), but their manipulation and experimentation on the twins is disturbing. I don't know what they're planning with the "one person split into two" business the Jedi mentioned, but it's another one of those things that made me side more with Sol. Koril is a pretty bad mother. She's a bit abusive and feeds Mae's violent behavior on purpose. That said, Aniseya isn't without fault either. She acted really creepy and invasive with Padawan Torbin. And she was experimenting on her own children. So there was in fact something very culty and dark stuff going on there. I don't blame Sol for being concerned.

Koril no doubt survived and is most likely connected in some way to Qimir and the Sith. Sith hate Jedi, so it would fit her alignment. She even already has yellow eyes much like Sith do. Where it goes from there, i'm not certain. They're taking SOME ideas from Legends, but I wonder if more specific characters such as Plagueis will appear.

There's an obvious and "logical" way to introduce Plagueis into this new story. Mae and Osha feel like "prototypes" of Anakin. Though likely not nearly as powerful, their M-count is stated to be extremely high but they aren't treated with the sort of Messianic praise that Anakin was. So Plagueis could have been taught this power by Koril and elevated it to create Anakin (whom Lucas said had potential to become twice as powerful as Sidious).

Guessing this is going to end off on a massive cliffhanger. It's the last episode coming up, and I don't see how they can really wrap everything up in the time left.
How can it end in a cliff hanger with no season 2?

Did they creators of this show actually think it was going to draw enough viewership to justify a second season?

Does anyone at Disney have any common sense ?

erasure fan1

The third episode should have been combined and consolidated into this one. Waste of time to split them up like that. And they should have cut out a lot of the crap from the third too, would have made things a bit more tolerable
Agreed, it's been the issue with the show this whole season. This episode was a complete waste of time. Sure we learned a couple things but it was nothing that couldn't have been put in the earlier episode. They basically made us watch the same episode twice. Sure the wookie fight was cool. But I don't think they really accomplished what they were trying to accomplish. Maybe Sol has a reason to question himself but Kelnacca and Torbin have nothing really to feel they did wrong. They both were possessed by the witches so it's not like they could help what they did. A better solution would have been to limit the flashbacks to the new information that was most important to the story. That way you could still move things forward while answering the questions from that encounter. The sad thing is we've now spent two whole episodes and yet we still don't have all the information. We will need another flashback or information dump to complete what happened. There's so much wasted potential in this show. You can really tell there's a lot of inexperience working on it.
There's likely 3 ways this ends. A cliffhanger like you said. They rush through the last episode making it completely unsatisfying. Or we get a 60+ min episode to neatly tie everything important up. A zebra doesn't change it's stripes so I'm not putting my money on the 3rd option. I think we see a rushed ending, it's a D+ series signature. I would think cliffhanger if they had officially greenlit season 2. But as of a week or two ago it's just speculation from what I see.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think you all over analyze this stuff WAY TOO MUCH.

I've been watching the show... it's ok so far.. some interesting bits... some that seems kinda forced... but not much like "I gotta write a novel about this...". But I think some of you just can't sit back and just be entertained...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom