Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

WDW1974

What is the Joan Martin treatment? And what is the response you would expect? Just curious...

Do an online search on Joan ... and I would expect an exec calling and a serious discussion with quite likely a huge discount on DVC ownership and incentives thrown in.

WDW1974

If Disney had been serious about keeping the Florida parks on the cutting edge, the Hunny Hunt technology would've been introduced to WDW by now.

I just find it mind boggling that the first use of the tech in Florida will be at SeaWorld.

But then again I'm still waiting for Disney's upping-the-bar response to Spider-Man...not to mention Potter, so I'll add the Antarctica attraction to the list, too.

Yet it's practically been ignored here as we debate the quality of Starbucks coffee. ... that tech debuted in TDL in 1999 ... was used at TDS in 2001 ... then nothing. But will appear at HKDL within six months and at DSP in 2014. And in the USA?! Still, nothing.

But I'm not in love with the BRAND and will likely get a SW AP again next year (last had one in 2010) because it's obvious they care about raising the bar.

WDW1974

Easy. Give up a day at Disney. It's easy and very rewarding.

We did it 9 days out of 20. A decade ago it was 3.

Yeah, but you're a crazy UKer with three weeks to play with. The average American is lucky if they get two weeks and many split that up. Very hard to do one week in O-Town and hit WDW/UNI/SW parks unless you decids in advance that ''I'm going to only do EPCOT and DAK at Disney over two days, two days at UNI and IOA, one day at SW, one day at water park of choice and one day of stuff like DD and CW''

But the first step is giving up a WDW trip and having a Central FL trip that may or may not include some time at WDW parks.

WDW1974

I agree, but I guess I was trying to be kind. :) At least in 1998, when you went around the property, the horticulture was properly maintained, they invested in something called paint, light-bulbs on buildings actually illuminated, and rides would go down because show scenes weren't properly working. They should be so proud of their new "standards."

I understand, but by 1998 I was already grading Disney on a curve. I was addicted to the Pixie Dust and loved DAK and the still very new Coronado Springs and relatively new Blizzard Beach ... but there were already cracks in the facade.

I'll grant you that many didn't really become apparent until post Y2K.

WDW1974

you know, it's getting really effin frustrating being a disney world fan.

my favorite attraction -- the one i was so anxious to ride for the first time almost 20 years ago, i couldn't sleep -- is crumbling before our eyes. tony baxter comes out publicly and essentially says that the imagination pavilion(another of my childhood favorites) isn't ride-able. i remember getting schooled on my baseball swing by gary carter (albeit a pre-recorded segment) in the wonders of life pavilion. maybe i'll take my wife and show her...wait...nope. not to mention about a thousand other instances of something once great being left to rot. but a thread about where someone can get their obscene amount of caloric intake goes ballistic, while others bemoan how one brand of coffee isn't quite what they like. all while the essence of WDW literally (not figuratively, like most people mean literally) falls apart.

something needs to be done.

Yeah, either trade up and visit other O-Town parks like IOA, UNI and SW and/or visit any other Disney resort on the planet (start with Anaheim as its closest) and/or take trips to non-theme park destinations like our amazing National Parks or amazing cities around the globe/

the.dreamfinder

Yeah, either trade up and visit other O-Town parks like IOA, UNI and SW and/or visit any other Disney resort on the planet (start with Anaheim as its closest) and/or take trips to non-theme park destinations like our amazing National Parks or amazing cities around the globe/
This!!! My family has decided to skip WDW and we're going to the UK and Ireland for 2 1/2 weeks instead in 2014.

copcarguyp71

Do an online search on Joan ... and I would expect an exec calling and a serious discussion with quite likely a huge discount on DVC ownership and incentives thrown in.

I may write some letters/emails just out of purely academic curiosity to see what happens but truthfully I do not know that discounts and incentives would do it for me. You never know and I guess it would entirely depend on what they put forth but if you go to a car dealership and get an awesome deal on a crap car then at the end of the day you still have a crap car if you know what I mean.

copcarguyp71

You should write a letter saying that to the head of DVC (is it still Dijuan Rivers?) and CC to Meg and Tom Staggs.
You will get a response ... and likely not the Joan Martin treatment.

How do I go about getting said letter into their hands and not into the hands of the secretarial pool...addresses or emails? I will try to do websearching but if you happen to have that information handy could you please PM it to me....I am curious to try this and see what happens.

RSoxNo1

Yet it's practically been ignored here as we debate the quality of Starbucks coffee. ... that tech debuted in TDL in 1999 ... was used at TDS in 2001 ... then nothing. But will appear at HKDL within six months and at DSP in 2014. And in the USA?! Still, nothing.

But I'm not in love with the BRAND and will likely get a SW AP again next year (last had one in 2010) because it's obvious they care about raising the bar.
Penguin Encounter uses the LPS system, right?

jklakeview

I
I went on the Haunted Mansion in late October. Has anyone noticed that the "pop-up ghouls" pop-out slower? Some don't even pop-out anymore! I also went Labor Day weekend in September, and they didn't even pop-out at all. Was this just a one-day thing?

I don't know. I was on it yesterday and EVERYTHING was working. Every pop up head worked fine and everything looked great. I'm not sure what everyone is complaint about. The inside looked fantastic!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This thread makes me sad for a number of reasons:

1) Splash is my favorite ride. It is sad to see it falling apart and even more sad to think about it closing forever (even if it was said in jest)

2) there are five times as many posts in the ridiculous Starbucks thread. Does that mean 5 times as many people are more worried about Starbucks on Main Street than a classic ride falling apart?

3) most of the people who are going to "cut back" their time spent at WDW are cutting back to a number of days that is at least double my annual days spent. This one isn't really sad, I am just jealous;)

4) the pixie dust must be wearing off. I am usually quick to defend WDW in these type of threads, but more and more I am finding I can't really find a defense. Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning in my pixie dust snorting card or making claims like I am going to cancel all of my trips or anything dramatic like that, but it is starting to get to me.

copcarguyp71

4) the pixie dust must be wearing off. I am usually quick to defend WDW in these type of threads, but more and more I am finding I can't really find a defense. Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning in my pixie dust snorting card or making claims like I am going to cancel all of my trips or anything dramatic like that, but it is starting to get to me.

This pretty accurately describes my feelings as well. Although I still enjoy going I find less enjoyment each time which is why we decided against DVC for our family. If they make no promises of upkeep or meeting standards and do not show me by example that they do care then I have no reason to believe they are worth a 40 year investment. Sadly our planned trip in 2014 may be our last for quite some time as DD will be starting middle school and I am beginning to wonder if it is worth all of the trouble we go through to afford, plan and book a WDW vacation with so many other options out there...these feelings make me sad.

ParentsOf4

2) there are five times as many posts in the ridiculous Starbucks thread. Does that mean 5 times as many people are more worried about Starbucks on Main Street than a classic ride falling apart?
Splash Mountain has been declining for years. I suspect if you counted all the posts on all the threads complaining about the condition of Splash Mountain, there would be a lot more than posts about Starbucks on Main Street USA. In addition, the decline of Splash Mountain has been gradual. It's not as a dramatic headline grabber as announcing "Starbucks on Main Street USA". (Yes, I know that's not what was announced.)

WDW could "fix" the Stabucks problem by issuing a new announcement and (maybe) reducing the size of some signs. It's going to take millions to fix Splash Mountain and no amount of complaining on threads such as these is going to get Burbank to spend that kind of money.

pumpkin7

I just don't see why they would let such a big, popular ride go into such disrepair? I know money, obviously, but they used to be on top of broken things as though they were fixed yesterday, but now they're just happy to let things get to the point where they have to pull the plug.
This time of year would be the perfect time to take Splash offline for a few months, fix (some?) of what's broken and put it back online before the summer period.

Is Splash going down for it's annual this year? I hope they at least try to fix some of what's wrong.

Saying that I remember riding back in 2010 when we last visited and I noticed a few things broken then (mainly in the queue, the projection of, I don't know what, was just coming up with a blue screen with 'Pioneer' on it, which looked fantastic, the turtles had no water underneath them, and a fish was broken. There was probably more but I didn't notice them.). So if they still haven't fixed any of those things in two years, I doubt much is going to change. It's really sad. I hope they aren't doing this with a view to letting it rot and then completely changing it all and retheming. Splash is a classic.

Thats DL's current Bride you posted. WDW's looks like this.
3715506508_6fd23845b5.jpg

Much more impressive IMO.
As a whole I honestly prefer the new attic scene to the old one though I do agree the Bride herself could look better, probably make her a projection/AA hybrid. Smurfette is currently at the Reagan Library if you want to see her again.

And when I saw that for the first time I thought that it looked incredibly fake, and little leota with her projected face. It just looks crap. Change it back! Why did they need to change it anyway!? WHY WHY WHY!"!!OE£KEJ!Prjwfhj

Sorry. I don't like change for changes sake.

WDW1974

How do I go about getting said letter into their hands and not into the hands of the secretarial pool...addresses or emails? I will try to do websearching but if you happen to have that information handy could you please PM it to me....I am curious to try this and see what happens.

Depends on who it is going to, but usually a secretary is going to go over the email first, no matter who it gets sent to. They don't want execs emailing with guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom