Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

WDW1974

I won't waste my first of post of April Fool's Day (and can I strongly suggest that anyone who starts one of those ridiculous rumours for the day gets banned immediately!!!) talking about AA technology.

I'll simply state that when maintained, they work flawlessly whether from 1983 or 25 years later at the TDR. No squeaks, no sounds of hydraulics or machinery ... they just work. They don't at WDW in most attractions.

Cosmic Commando

Wow you guys seem to think that better technology equals simpler and better functioning AA's, but in fact the opposite is true. The original AA's were nothing more than a collection of hydraulic pistons and motors controlled by a simple analog computer. The current AA's have tons of circuits, cameras, actuators, software, etc...

When an older AA failed one of the hydraulics sprang a leak and the character just stopped moving. With these newer ones if something failed it may start to perform unwanted movements, generate various software errors, etc...

The more sophisticated the technology, the more things can go wrong with them.

Here are some Murphy's Laws that fit here:

• A failure will not appear till a unit has passed final inspection.
  • Any circuit design must contain at least one part which is obsolete, two parts which are unobtainable and three parts which are still under development.
  • Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature, volume, humidity, and other variables the organism will do as it damn well pleases.
  • If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

I was just listening to Neil deGrasse Tyson talk about this today: we carry around more computing power in our pockets today than it took to send a man to the moon. When NASA announced the shuttle program, they made a big deal about how high tech and complex the computer system was... then had all kinds of problems with it because it was high tech (at the time).

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
5 rides in the past 3 days. Hopping Brer Rabbit has been down the entire time.

The rest of the ride looks pretty great though.

Prince-1

We just got back an I will say that SM looks better than it has in a loooooong time. But even better than how it looks is how it sounds. Amazing. Everything was clearer and louder than before. A huuuuuge improvement.

(My O and U keys are sticking)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom