Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive list Rob562. My most recent visit to WDW was in February. There was tons wrong with Splash at that time, but from your list things have gotten much much worse since then.

Big Thunder closed for about 5 months and STILL reopened with numerous show elements missing or broken. I think it's far too optimistic to assume Splash's upcoming (far shorter) refurb will end up helping much in terms of show issues. I'm happy to be wrong here as always, this is probably my favorite ride at Magic Kingdom. But unless the refurb budget is massive (which I doubt very highly), and they work faster than they've ever worked before (which I also doubt), I cannot see this refurb turning out well. I will not be the slightest bit surprised if Splash reopens with most if not all of the show issues untouched. Disappointed but not surprised.

I'm definitely going to visit Disneyland someday. But as I live in Florida and not all that far from WDW, it's going to take a lot longer to save up for such a trip.

I agree that there is zero chance that all issues are resolved. My guess is they will take care of the falling pieces and major safety issues and hit AAs and show elements as time and budget allows. We have insiders around here that seem to have some non-public info, anyone know what the plans are for the refurb?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I rode Splash yesterday for the first time in at least 3 1/2 years. I was riding with a first-time rider. While he enjoyed it, it was very disheartening to see the poor state that the mountain is in.

-Only half of the drop splash cannons were working, though that might just be because the temps have been fluctuating up and down so much lately, since it was the one that splashed over on the logs before Lift 2 that wasn't working.

-Multiple figures missing, including one of the first geese, the sweeping girl rabbit, fishing frog and I believe at least one figure from the Riverboat.

-Frog projection in the queue is digital, but it's so obviously a projection because the colors and brightness doesn't match the surrounding lights.

-Frogs in the first scene didn't move their mouths, and only one swiveled.

-First Bear and Fox were entirely motionless.

-Chase projection didn't play, though the girl rabbit was missing, so it might have been turned off.

-Fox at Bear in trap didn't speak.

-Hopping Rabbit didn't appear.

-No fish in the water, but since the fishing frog wasn't there, might've been turned off.

-Dialog before the drop into the Bee Cave didn't play.

-Most bees were either not spinning or not blacklit.

-No water effects at all in Laughing Place, leaving the turtle on his back with a clearly-visible support post under him.

-Raining on the final lifthill. (Is this just going to let loose someday and flood out the Laughing Place for good?)

-Something about the Bear/Fox/Gator trio wasn't working but I don't recall which.

And that's not to even mention the tarps in the loading area. Very sad indeed. As much as I hope they address everything in the upcoming refurb, I'm thinking they'll focus on the structural and infrastructure issues, and show elements will get pushed off.

-Rob

Wow. Thanks for the detailed list Rob.

Outrageous.

njDizFan

I rode Splash yesterday for the first time in at least 3 1/2 years. I was riding with a first-time rider. While he enjoyed it, it was very disheartening to see the poor state that the mountain is in.

-Only half of the drop splash cannons were working, though that might just be because the temps have been fluctuating up and down so much lately, since it was the one that splashed over on the logs before Lift 2 that wasn't working.

-Multiple figures missing, including one of the first geese, the sweeping girl rabbit, fishing frog and I believe at least one figure from the Riverboat.

-Frog projection in the queue is digital, but it's so obviously a projection because the colors and brightness doesn't match the surrounding lights.

-Chase projection didn't play, though the girl rabbit was missing, so it might have been turned off.

-No fish in the water, but since the fishing frog wasn't there, might've been turned off.

-No water effects at all in Laughing Place, leaving the turtle on his back with a clearly-visible support post under him.

-Raining on the final lifthill. (Is this just going to let loose someday and flood out the Laughing Place for good?)

-Something about the Bear/Fox/Gator trio wasn't working but I don't recall which.

And that's not to even mention the tarps in the loading area. Very sad indeed. As much as I hope they address everything in the upcoming refurb, I'm thinking they'll focus on the structural and infrastructure issues, and show elements will get pushed off.

-Rob
oh okay so fully functional by TDO standards...there was water and the ride flumes

Buried20KLeague

-Rob

The bolded above is one I'm happy about. I never could stand the russian roulette feeling of if I was going to be absolutely soaked before that second lift hill. In fact, my wife stopped riding the ride all together because of it. For years, I've had to take the kids myself and hope we wouldn't have to spend the next 3 hours dripping wet.

Rumor is that was purposely turned off for just that reason.

If you ask me, they should turn it on, just change the pressure so it shoots just short of the flume. That would keep the desired effect of "ARE WE GONNA GET SOAKED??!?!?!?" without the uncomfortable 3 hours afterward.

copcarguyp71

How do I go about getting said letter into their hands and not into the hands of the secretarial pool...addresses or emails? I will try to do websearching but if you happen to have that information handy could you please PM it to me....I am curious to try this and see what happens.

Still looking for an answer from anyone who can help me. Looking for the best way to get a well thought out letter into the hands of the head of DVC (who is that?), Tom Staggs and Meg Crofton.

copcarguyp71

yeah, or first initial then last name or sometimes a . between the names and sometimes not...just looking to be certain I am not wasting my breath sending them to a dead end...although that may be what happens anyway even if it does make it to the correct destination:(

SirLink

Perfect! Thank you. I never know if they are current or actually real as so much information on the web is based on supposition and that is why I was hoping one of the CM's who are on here would let me know for sure.

BTW not a CM, but the fact the .pdf has 2012 listed on it and some other articles found in the same search supported that info.

bubbles1812

The bolded above is one I'm happy about. I never could stand the russian roulette feeling of if I was going to be absolutely soaked before that second lift hill. In fact, my wife stopped riding the ride all together because of it. For years, I've had to take the kids myself and hope we wouldn't have to spend the next 3 hours dripping wet.

Rumor is that was purposely turned off for just that reason.

If you ask me, they should turn it on, just change the pressure so it shoots just short of the flume. That would keep the desired effect of "ARE WE GONNA GET SOAKED??!?!?!?" without the uncomfortable 3 hours afterward.

I just really don't understand this attitude. Sorry. Why go on water rides at all if you are so worried about getting wet? It's not that hard to bring a change of clothes if someone is that concerned about it. Wear light weight easily arrerated things onto the ride, have a change of underwear and socks at least and you are fine. I would be so disappointed if they changed aspects of the ride so that it's a water rode with no risk of wetness...what's the point then? Its like saying they should have just built a slow moving coaster thru the mountain if that's the attitude people are going to have..would have saved money and then no risk of wetness (oh the horror!) at all. And the chances of getting truly soaked on Splash are pretty minimal. Heck, even on Kali River Rapids, there isn't all that much of a chance (I've ridden it more times than I can count and I've only gotten soaked thru once unlike at Universal where it's just about every time...which indicates some well designed water rides)

Bairstow

I just really don't understand this attitude. Sorry. Why go on water rides at all if you are so worried about getting wet? It's not that hard to bring a change of clothes if someone is that concerned about it. Wear light weight easily arrerated things onto the ride, have a change of underwear and socks at least and you are fine. I would be so disappointed if they changed aspects of the ride so that it's a water rode with no risk of wetness...what's the point then? Its like saying they should have just built a slow moving coaster thru the mountain if that's the attitude people are going to have..would have saved money and then no risk of wetness (oh the horror!) at all. And the chances of getting truly soaked on Splash are pretty minimal. Heck, even on Kali River Rapids, there isn't all that much of a chance (I've ridden it more times than I can count and I've only gotten soaked thru once unlike at Universal where it's just about every time...which indicates some well designed water rides)

Not all water rides have to get you soaking wet to be fun. There's a big difference between Splash Mountain, which hopefully just splashes your upper body, and something like Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, where your shoes, socks and underwear are soaked to such an extent that you may as well have just jumped into the water off the loading dock. Where's the fun if you're likely to wind up with chafing and/or blisters if you walk around the rest of the day like that?

Also, having to pack a change of clothes (and especially shoes) is a colossal hassle, especially if you weren't planning on bringing a bag into the park (I never do).

There's wet and then there's too-wet-to-have-fun and Splash is thankfully on the fun side right now.
Too bad nothing works.

George Lucas on a Bench

Considering how broken everything else is, I doubt they can even control the intensity of the splash. I mean, the simple water effects inside haven't worked in years. It's probably a case where it'll either drench you or they just turn it off.

I also agree that getting completely soaked on water rides isn't really fun. Popeye and Dudley leave no rider un-soaked. I mean, Dudley has this ridiculous non-themed and unavoidable liquid massacre where you go through an intense waterfall on a lift hill. Splash generally doesn't do this to you. I will say, however, that even if you only get mildly splashed, you still get that terrible after-smell on your clothes. I mean, the water smells good, but not when it soaks into your clothes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not all water rides have to get you soaking wet to be fun. There's a big difference between Splash Mountain, which hopefully just splashes your upper body, and something like Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges, where your shoes, socks and underwear are soaked to such an extent that you may as well have just jumped into the water off the loading dock. Where's the fun if you're likely to wind up with chafing and/or blisters if you walk around the rest of the day like that?

Also, having to pack a change of clothes (and especially shoes) is a colossal hassle, especially if you weren't planning on bringing a bag into the park (I never do).

Bring flipflops.. functional, dry quickly, lightweight, and small. We did that and tshirts and bathing suits and you get through UNI's rides without a ton of hassle. You change into it.. and then back to your normal clothes. Your whole family can fit in a single bag.

cheezbat

Bring flipflops.. functional, dry quickly, lightweight, and small. We did that and tshirts and bathing suits and you get through UNI's rides without a ton of hassle. You change into it.. and then back to your normal clothes. Your whole family can fit in a single bag.

^^^^
This.

I always bring a change of clothes and wear light enough stuff if I'm doing water rides. I love getting wet...just not soaked unless its hot...which is eight months out of the year in Florida.

If you don't like it, don't ride it. Some of us love water rides.

Fantasmic

This is what I do! Complete change of clothes with a cozzie on underneath, and do all the water rides in one "sitting"!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom