Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

WDW1974

That's good news. Disneyland made a stunningly fast turnaround from the dark Pressler/Harriss years. The turnaround started in the winter of 2004, and about 15 months later in May, 2005 it was complete.

More importantly, Disneyland management in the decade since then hasn't retreated on that newly raised standard, and in many places they have raised it further. The result is that the Disneyland Resort today looks even better than it did for the 50th in 2005.

The same turnaround can happen at WDW. And it appears it can't happen soon enough.

Can it happen?

Absolutely.

But WDW is crumbling over 30,000 acres, four theme parks, dozens of resorts, water parks, shopping/entertainment complex etc. AND ... the desire to do a DL style fix doesn't exist at TDO or even in Burbank.

This is Florida and, much like elections, we do things our own way here!

WDW1974

A footnote: The decline of Walt Disney World has been ongoing for a much longer period than the awful Paul Pressler shopping mall debacle years at DL. The varying degrees of decline at WDW stretch more than a decade and with so much property involved, it seems unlikely that they can whip things together nearly as quickly as Anaheim.

To be honest, the last time the property was in pristine shape, as had been their standard, was 1998 in Florida. It's a long road towards redemption here. More importantly, with the years of neglect, if we get to the point that a management team is put in place that cares and understands the importance of quality, like what DL got in Matt Ouimet, it will be interesting to see how vast in scale many of the projects will be with who knows what might be discovered, building by building with many issues due to the neglect.

Agree with the sentiment ... but I don't agree with 1998 ... I'd say it was closer to the 1994-96 period, by '98 there were all sorts of problem showing (I had a Beach Club room that could only be described as ghetto then and so much outsourcing and cutting had begun around the 25th anniversary!)

WDW1974

This is DEAD on. This whole thread I just kept thinking "more of the same at WDW"... But this post made me scream out "YES!!!!"

We got so close as to have the paperwork delivered to us to sign and I thank my lucky stars I didn't put pen to paper.

Write to Disney execs.

You are exactly the type of guest they want in terms of where you come from, being a business owner, three kids etc.

Tell them WHY you didn't purchase their MAGICal timeshares. THIS will get a response.

SirLink

Can it happen?

Absolutely.

But WDW is crumbling over 30,000 acres, four theme parks, dozens of resorts, water parks, shopping/entertainment complex etc. AND ... the desire to do a DL style fix doesn't exist at TDO or even in Burbank.

This is Florida and, much like elections, we do things our own way here!

Change of CEO that cares about the parks - would be a mighty big step for the timid O-mouse? Right?

WDW1974

That's TDO over the past 5+ years. It just keeps getting worse and worse and just when you think it couldn't get any worse something like this happens. Such a damn joke. It's sad when you see parks like IOA, US and Sea World creeping up to Disney standards and I mean quick.

UP TO?

No, they've surpassed Disney standards in many ways. SW is near pristine. UNI/IOA have taken detailing to an art that Disney no longer competes with unless it's for queues of attractions that are falling apart.

Have you seen the new attraction coming to SW next year?

It's no Little Mermaid, that's for sure.

WDW1974

Agreed, I'm sure if I visited Disneyland as much as I visit WDW then of course I'd notice some maintenance issues, but for now I have to take the overwhelming word on the street that Disneyland maintenance trumps WDW's.

It does. But there can be issues.

Even TDR isn't perfect.

But they demand perfection and that's why their parks look largely like they just opened yesterday, not 1983 and 2001.

But back to DLR, they tend to not let things linger when they have issues (they did briefly in the 1998-2004 timeframe) ... WDW has attractions like Splash Mountain that has had problems since last century and they ignore them.

copcarguyp71

You should write a letter saying that to the head of DVC (is it still Dijuan Rivers?) and CC to Meg and Tom Staggs.
You will get a response ... and likely not the Joan Martin treatment.

What is the Joan Martin treatment? And what is the response you would expect? Just curious...

Beholder

Mental illness and addiction. Really (and I full well expect this post to disappear, although I don't understand why) that is it. People that are in love with a BRAND. Brainwashed like cult members ... besides, Lou Mongello and the apparently not single anymore WannabeLou tell us that WDW HAS
NEVER BEEN BETTER!

I happen to sometimes fall into the category of loving the "brand", and choosing to ignore the less than tasteful elements of WDW. However, in my defense, I think I'm more in love with the "ideal" of Walts intent and "vision", if you will. I sometimes gloss over things that have truly degraded, but this is a new "low". No excuses, no explanation, nothing but complete and total neglect. Neglect of a legacy that is obviously far to important and cherished for these imbeciles to handle. Sickening.

rudyjr13

New goal friends. Get this thread past the Starbucks in Main Street Bakery post count. Feel free to simply reply "Fix Splash"

I realize it hasn't worked yet for the Yeti but can't hurt right?

FIX SPLASH

Clocker84

UP TO?

No, they've surpassed Disney standards in many ways. SW is near pristine. UNI/IOA have taken detailing to an art that Disney no longer competes with unless it's for queues of attractions that are falling apart.

Funny you said that. I was at SeaWorld yesterday and saw the concept art on the construction walls. It does look pretty awesome. It sure looks like it'll blow that island in fantasyland away.

TalkingHead

UP TO?

If Disney had been serious about keeping the Florida parks on the cutting edge, the Hunny Hunt technology would've been introduced to WDW by now.

I just find it mind boggling that the first use of the tech in Florida will be at SeaWorld.

But then again I'm still waiting for Disney's upping-the-bar response to Spider-Man...not to mention Potter, so I'll add the Antarctica attraction to the list, too.

the.dreamfinder

And, yes, it is a reason why the Yeti may never get fixed, even though they have a solution all ready.
tumblr_mbj0bkvffM1risusro1_400.gif

Buried20KLeague

Write to Disney execs.

You are exactly the type of guest they want in terms of where you come from, being a business owner, three kids etc.

Tell them WHY you didn't purchase their MAGICal timeshares. THIS will get a response.

That's a good idea. Really it is. Who should this go to?

the.dreamfinder

Just because,

I'll also point out that the insiders here mentioned multiple times that THIS form of the Pooh ride was proposed for MK in the late 90's!!

donaldtoo

I don't wanna' hear any excuses anymore from TWDC. Whether the Imagineers are bein' held in check by the bean counters, who are in turn bein' held in check by the suits or WTH, I don't wanna' hear it anymore. Pull your heads outta' your collective magical cracks and get done what REALLY needs to be done already. Quit puttin' too many irons in the fire that you then can't manage even MORE than you can't manage things as they are.
If Walt could come back right now, he'd kick all your collective beeeeehinds to the moon, and then travel up there and kick them right back down to earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom