Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

MerlinTheGoat

Can it happen?

Absolutely.

But WDW is crumbling over 30,000 acres, four theme parks, dozens of resorts, water parks, shopping/entertainment complex etc. AND ... the desire to do a DL style fix doesn't exist at TDO or even in Burbank.

This is Florida and, much like elections, we do things our own way here!
And that is why I won't be returning until such a desire exists and is followed through with. That mentality is very distressing. But as they've expressed the desire NOT to change their ways, I'll express my desire not to give them any of my money. I eagerly threw money at them during the early-mid 90's due to the way the place was run then, and I'd eagerly do it once again whenever they decide to return to that business form. Ready and willing to pay for a legitimate quality product. Until that time though, i'll be spending my theme park money on companies and places that actually earn and deserve it.

I hope it takes just cuts in their earnings for a turnaround to occur, and it doesn't get as far as injury or death on the part of paying guests before something happens.

The Empress Lilly

Glad I'm not alone with this. I'm almost angry about it. Now, I have to find time for Sea World.
I have some issues with some of their shows and some of the animals they keep. But otherwise, prepare for the smell of fresh paint and immaculate surroundings! SW is a really great park. Manta is awesome, from the queue to its flawless execution. I can't wait to see all the new stuff they are doing!
SW feels a bit like FW, but with a sense of purpose. A big park, surprisingly tranquil.

alissafalco

I have some issues with some of their shows and some of the animals they keep.

So do I. Thats why I'm torn about going to SW. I made a vow to myself that I would not go there until these issues were changed (I have kept to it). Now I'm feeling that way about WDW for other reasons. I guess all I have left is UNI, IOA, & DL.

alphac2005

Agree with the sentiment ... but I don't agree with 1998 ... I'd say it was closer to the 1994-96 period, by '98 there were all sorts of problem showing (I had a Beach Club room that could only be described as ghetto then and so much outsourcing and cutting had begun around the 25th anniversary!)

I agree, but I guess I was trying to be kind. :) At least in 1998, when you went around the property, the horticulture was properly maintained, they invested in something called paint, light-bulbs on buildings actually illuminated, and rides would go down because show scenes weren't properly working. They should be so proud of their new "standards."

MerlinTheGoat

Even if the parks started becoming decrepit around '96 or so, i'm sure the current condition didn't end up happening overnight or even over the course or 1-2 years. It was a gradual thing no doubt, one that is still occurring, worsening and even escalating. Within the past year the rate of decline has accelerated to an even more alarmingly quick pace. The decline has gotten to a point where even newly built or refurbed attractions are having show problems (Mermaid and Big Thunder), and the cuts in management have even escalated to the point of posing very real and disturbing danger to guests' safety.

As I stated, I went about 13 years without visiting WDW, from 1997 to 2010. I didn't get the gradual treatment, I went from one extreme to the other. So while I was still visiting back then when it's said things began their downward trend, there probably wasn't enough substantial declines that i'd be able to notice them as easily. Returning in 2010 though was akin to having left your house in fairly decent condition a few days ago, returning to find your teen had thrown a crazy drunken party while you were gone (dirt and trash everywhere, ripped wallpaper and busted furniture, stains on the carpet, etc). I know this decline at WDW didn't happen overnight, but that's the before and after picture that it was to me. However, the cold slap of reality going from one extreme to another did wonders for keeping an objective mind about things. I guess it's kind of like boiling frogs, you have to do it gradually or else they'll realize what you're up to and jump out. I've basically avoided being brainwashed into accepting this sort of thing by avoiding Disney World all these years. As a result I have a clear and unbiased mind on the matter.

Though from what I gather, it would appear that the boiling the frogs gradually trick hasn't worked for many people here, even those who have kept on visiting all these years. The smart frogs here anyways. :p

Spike-in-Berlin

I went on the Haunted Mansion in late October. Has anyone noticed that the "pop-up ghouls" pop-out slower? Some don't even pop-out anymore! I also went Labor Day weekend in September, and they didn't even pop-out at all. Was this just a one-day thing?

Most of them were removed during the major refurb. They were considered a little tacky and cheap looking and I agree.

Spike-in-Berlin

I've had this feeling the pop-up ghosts were gradually being phased out or toned down. They used to be pretty creepy in the attic scene, but those are gone.

I agree that the graveyard scene could use some work. You can barely see the ghosts. Wasn't there a ghostly bicycle in there that went around?

Yep, the attic was completely changed with the new storyline of the murderous bride (before it was a bride who died on her wedding day in a bizarre accident) and I consider the present bride the most uncreepy, unscary and annoying bride in the attic EVER. Even the bride before the refurb was better.
Ever seen the bride from the 80ies and 90ies? The most scary moment of the entire HM and I dearly miss it. It was a SKELETON in a brides gown with a red glowing heart and lit eyes and the thumping sound of the heart was so loud that you heard it in the entire attic, even before the bride came in sight. It was the only scene in the HM I found really scary as a child.

MerlinTheGoat

Most of them were removed during the major refurb. They were considered a little tacky and cheap looking and I agree.
I basically agree too. They were jump scares at best, a cheap gag in light of the otherwise elaborate nature of the mansion.

Though I think the only ones that were removed were the ones in the attic. The ones in the graveyard are still there (and I don't know whether there are any fewer than there once were). The effect that replaced the attic ones is quite well done, the portraits that fade away the heads of the bride's various husbands (a chilling but well done and subtle effect).

The bride herself is the only thing I wasn't happy about in the overhaul, I find HER the one that is tacky now (we traded one tacky element for another IMO). Preferred the original bride by far. The projection effect on the new one somehow looks worse (and flatter) than the ancient statue busts and Leota, and her puns are annoying and stupid. She was such a subtle element that didn't need to make silly pun threats or materialize a weapon to scare people. All she needed was a face you couldn't see and two glowing eyes, a visible and loud beating heart, and just a candle (she didn't even need a weapon nor make threats at you, you just were threatened and creeped out by her mere presence). What you don't see or know for sure is far more terrifying than something more tangible and to the point. Had the original bride had been kept but the popups still replaced by the new portraits (though perhaps with the bride's face veiled), it would have been an absolutely incredible scene.

I find this to be much more menacing and awesome-
46198900_13ef35a5da.jpg

Than this-
368536385_6e53e31b75.jpg

Spike-in-Berlin

I basically agree too. They were jump scares at best, a cheap gag in light of the otherwise elaborate nature of the mansion.

Though I think the only ones that were removed were the ones in the attic. The ones in the graveyard are still there (and I don't know whether there are any fewer than there once were). The effect that replaced the attic ones is quite well done, the portraits that fade away the heads of the bride's various husbands (a chilling but well done and subtle effect).

The bride herself is the only thing I wasn't happy about in the overhaul, I find HER the one that is tacky now (we traded one tacky element for another IMO). Preferred the original bride by far. The projection effect on the new one somehow looks worse (and flatter) than the ancient statue busts and Leota, and her puns are annoying and stupid. She was such a subtle element that didn't need to make silly pun threats or materialize a weapon to scare people. All she needed was a face you couldn't see and two glowing eyes, a visible and loud beating heart, and just a candle (she didn't even need a weapon nor make threats at you, you just were threatened and creeped out by her mere presence). What you don't see or know for sure is far more terrifying than something more tangible and to the point. Had the original bride had been kept but the popups still replaced by the new portraits (though perhaps with the bride's face veiled), it would have been an absolutely incredible scene.

Absolutely. I agree totally. I didn't find the original bride on youtube so far, only the bride BEFORE the present incarnation. And you are right, she is so annoyingly outright and overdone tacky with her wanna-be evil grin and the oh-so-scary hatchet, that I already once shouted at her "You are NOT scary!" much to the fun of my GF. But I have her on my oldest WDW-movie from 1991 (I was allowed to use my dads video8 camcorder) perhaps I will create a youtube upload from it so people can see how scary she was.

djlaosc

Easy. Give up a day at Disney. It's easy and very rewarding.

We did it 9 days out of 20. A decade ago it was 3.

We did 1 day out of 21 last time (normally we do 1.5-2, but it was Labor Day Weekend so we were there all day (13+ hours?) and got everything done that we wanted to do). Of course, we also went to Discovery Cove, Aquatica and Busch Gardens so they got nearly 4 days out of us last time.

I think we'll have to give up some Disney days next time we go (for 2 weeks Nov/Dec 2014 instead of 3 weeks) - at the moment, we'll be dropping (pool time/TL/BB/DQ/CDS:LN)/(AQ/DC/BGTB)/KSC from what we did last time, and currently adding a stay at HRH and going to watch Blue Man Group.

Brian Noble

In that case, just get yourself a FlexTicket, and enjoy both SW and the UO parks. If it's warm enough, you can take a dip into AQ or WnW as well.

baymenxpac

you know, it's getting really effin frustrating being a disney world fan.

my favorite attraction -- the one i was so anxious to ride for the first time almost 20 years ago, i couldn't sleep -- is crumbling before our eyes. tony baxter comes out publicly and essentially says that the imagination pavilion(another of my childhood favorites) isn't ride-able. i remember getting schooled on my baseball swing by gary carter (albeit a pre-recorded segment) in the wonders of life pavilion. maybe i'll take my wife and show her...wait...nope. not to mention about a thousand other instances of something once great being left to rot. but a thread about where someone can get their obscene amount of caloric intake goes ballistic, while others bemoan how one brand of coffee isn't quite what they like. all while the essence of WDW literally (not figuratively, like most people mean literally) falls apart.

something needs to be done.

HMF

I find this to be much more menacing and awesome-
46198900_13ef35a5da.jpg

Than this-
368536385_6e53e31b75.jpg
Thats DL's current Bride you posted. WDW's looks like this.
3715506508_6fd23845b5.jpg

Much more impressive IMO.
As a whole I honestly prefer the new attic scene to the old one though I do agree the Bride herself could look better, probably make her a projection/AA hybrid. Smurfette is currently at the Reagan Library if you want to see her again.

The Empress Lilly

She was such a subtle element that didn't need to make silly pun threats or materialize a weapon to scare people. All she needed was a face you couldn't see and two glowing eyes, a visible and loud beating heart, and just a candle (she didn't even need a weapon nor make threats at you, you just were threatened and creeped out by her mere presence). What you don't see or know for sure is far more terrifying than something more tangible and to the point.
Well said!

And the before and after pictures really drive the point home. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom