Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtravel

For the sake of discussion, let's say Disney came clean. And I don't mean the hand-waving "Terms and Conditions" clean, which covers just about anything imaginable without specifying a single thing. I mean really truthful with its paying customers. "Here's how we closely will track you, here's the information we will collect about you, here's how we intend to use it."

Do you believe that would have a significant impact on WDW business?
NO.

MattM

For the sake of discussion, let's say Disney came clean. And I don't mean the hand-waving "Terms and Conditions" clean, which covers just about anything imaginable without specifying a single thing. I mean really truthful with its paying customers. "Here's how we closely will track you, here's the information we will collect about you, here's how we intend to use it."

Truthfully? No. Main reason? All the information that came public, and continues to come public with the NSA domestic spying was met with a collective "meh" from the American public.

Do I agree with that thinking? Absolutely not.

GiveMeTheMusic

Agreed. The entire Avengers cast just got a raise. That's not going to help the sequel's overall profit.

LOL - considering Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans were only paid $200K each for the first film, I'm sure Disney will be just fine after Avengers 2. If there's ever been a movie that's a dead ringer for big money at the B.O., this one is it. Look at Iron Man 3 this year - insane numbers, outperforming the other IM movies.

GLaDOS

LOL - considering Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans were only paid $200K each for the first film, I'm sure Disney will be just fine after Avengers 2. If there's ever been a movie that's a dead ringer for big money at the B.O., this one is it. Look at Iron Man 3 this year - insane numbers, outperforming the other IM movies.

And it's barely going to make a profit.

Funmeister

You are talking about two entirely different things. Child abduction is a crime.

It has always been my understanding from the very beginning of the NGE project that it would incorporate face recognition and tracking of all individuals in the parks. Face recognition would solve a number of problems (including ticket re-sales) and tracking in the parks solves the lost child problem.

Remember when WDW started to sell those yellow rain ponchos? They ran into a big problem when children became lost because everyone looks the same in a yellow poncho with the hood up. They went back to the clear ponchos to solve the problem. With the MagicBand they'll be able to zero in on a child that is reported lost in a few seconds and they'll be able to make a positive ID with face recognition. With the new technology Disney will not have to organize a hasty search team with security CM's. They will know where the lost child is at all times.

You...YOU...cannot bring up "lost children" without addressing the fact that sometimes "lost" can be the result of an abduction. You cannot have your cake and eat it to when you use the argument of using RFID to find "lost" children when a "lost" child could be one that was kidnapped.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I pay for admission to Disney.

That's one thing you pay for :)
The saying applies for services/perks - not just unilateral things. Just because you pay for your groceries doesn't exclude the idea that a 'savings program' really isn't just a way to productize observed shopper behavior.

It's just something to make you think... if you aren't paying for it, be mindful of why the other party is doing it..

ParentsOf4

Truthfully? No. Main reason? All the information that came public, and continues to come public with the NSA domestic spying was met with a collective "meh" from the American public.

Do I agree with that thinking? Absolutely not.
If you really believe that, then you're ignoring 205 members of the House of Representatives. The only reason tighter reigns weren't placed on the NSA was because of a lot of last-minute lobbying by both President Obama and Republication leadership. Before that, the vote was going to go the other way. It was a very close vote.

In most polls, the public rejects the NSA's wholesale collection of data by more than 2-to-1.

Therefore, if you "truthfully" believe Disney coming completely clean on its intentions to monitor and collect data on its "guests" would have no significant impact on its business, then I'm not sure your "truth" is based on facts.

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

My cat and dog are now equipped with tin foil hats to fight back against the data mining! Are you prepared?

by wdisney9000, on Flickr

by wdisney9000, on Flickr

Your furry kids are adorable. Cat looks thrilled to be alive. Mine has similar expressions. Or, lack of.

Uh, yeah. I do. Even more so if the news media gets ahold of said story (speaking of, why DOESNT the media have this story by the balls?) and sensationalizes it. The folks who watch the news and easily get stirred up by what they're being fed would be protesting against Disney and I really think they'd curb their visits, or at least until the news stopped talking about it, and the story disappeared. But that could take a while- and I think any % drop in attendance would impact, especially, WDW parks and resorts.

However, Universal would love it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Speculation. No concrete knowledge on that as far as I know. I assume there may be some degree of it based on the fact that every other company in the country is selling collected information. I also assume that most of the information here would be of no benefit to others, and would actually harm Disney's competitive advantage if they did decide to sell.

Disney has already addressed this both in the letter to Markey and in their privacy policy.

Lee

Adventurer
This, I can agree with, marni. OP made claim that a company seeking a profit to be an evil act, in and of itself.
I can say with some confidence that nobody, '74 included, has an issue with Disney making a profit. He simply disagrees with their methodology, as do I.

I will gladly contribute to a company's profit if I feel like I'm getting something (enough) in return. Disney is just doing it the sneaky way, while Uni is enticing me to spend money to experience newer and better attractions.

That is the way to do it.

MattM

If you really believe that, then you're ignoring 205 members of the House of Representatives. The only reason tighter reigns weren't placed on the NSA was because of a lot of last-minute lobbying by both President Obama and Republication leadership. Before that, the vote was going to go the other way. It was a very close vote.

In most polls, the public rejects the NSA's wholesale collection of data by more than 2-to-1.

Therefore, if you "truthfully" believe Disney coming completely clean on its intentions to monitor and collect data on its "guests" would have no impact on its business, then I'm not sure your "truth" is based on facts.

That's your opinion, and I respect that.

I also know how much privacy people are willing to give up for something they deem is worth it. I just have a hard time believing that Mommy and Daddy aren't going to take their little princess to Disney because they will be monitored while there.

I just can't see it having much of an impact on the average guest. But it's hard to back anything up regarding any of this with facts because there really aren't many known facts out there. Lots of speculating, sure, but little facts.

Also important to note: You originally had asked if I thought it would have significant impact on Disney's business. I said no. I never said it would have "no" impact, as you said in the quoted post above. Big difference.

MattM

I can say with some confidence that nobody, '74 included, has an issue with Disney making a profit. He simply disagrees with their methodology, as do I.

I will gladly contribute to a company's profit if I feel like I'm getting something (enough) in return. Disney is just doing it the sneaky way, while Uni is enticing me to spend money to experience newer and better attractions.

That is the way to do it.
I agree with you.

But that's not what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom