Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Worldwide Numbers are basically worthless in the grand scheme of things, though. Studios collect less than half of them, and then you have China who isn't giving any of its BO proceeds to Hollywood this summer.

Depends on the deal for international distro...

And we always forget the deals struct with the principles that are also sucking away gross percentages from the studios. Big tentpoles? Means big names who likely have their deals with their own take of the gross.

I think fans get way to hot over trying to evaluate what films made money or not when all they look at is the BO numbers and not the whole picture.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's not dishonest. OP has made qualms many a time here about profit seeking entities. He said it. If that's not what he meant, then there needs to be an edit or clarifying post.

It's quite dishonest -- and you know it. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I am a capitalist, just not a 21st century let corps do whatever they please capitalist (you can correct me if I am wrong, I believe you lean strongly in said direction.)

I absolutely have qualms with the ways many corps conduct themselves today, including TWDC (of which I am a shareholder). But I have never said companies shouldn't profit. That's just an absurd lie tossed out to deflect off of more important issues.

TWDC made a conscious choice here about HOW it was going to go about making a profit. As consumers of the products they sell, we have every right to ask questions about how they choose to (and choose not to) make a profit. It is very American.

Now, while I'd truly love to go back and forth with you, I have a funeral to get ready for.

GLaDOS

Depends on the deal for international distro...

And we always forget the deals struct with the principles that are also sucking away gross percentages from the studios. Big tentpoles? Means big names who likely have their deals with their own take of the gross.

I think fans get way to hot over trying to evaluate what films made money or not when all they look at is the BO numbers and not the whole picture.

Agreed. The entire Avengers cast just got a raise. That's not going to help the sequel's overall profit.

Pentacat

I really don't get all the fuss.

If it bugs you, get a sleeve or protected wallet. Easy peasy.

Google IDStronghold. :)

Not to mention that they could have done much of this tracking without the need of RFID tags. There are tons of CCTV cameras already on WDW property....ever seen a demo of CCTV face tracking software? Anyone know if WDW has ever implemented something like that?

Just curious....and no I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat.

Bolna

And a thought about the question of what some of the language might mean and that it is not as "evil" as it might sound from the words that are being used: I do think that language influences our thinking a lot. That's why it is so popular to use harmless sounding words for bad things. But it works the other way around as well. So using a language that implies terms like the ones @WDW1974 was so upset (capture and exploit for example) either have been influenced by the thinking of the people who put them their or continue to shape the thinking of those who work with these systems.

Clever Name

Care to take a guess on how many children have been abducted at WDW since opening in 1971? None.

Cast Member stays with child in general area where they were separated for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the Cast Member walks the child to Guest Relations or Child Care in some cases. When a family tells a Cast Member that they lost their child the Cast Member calls Guest Relations. All lost children are sent to one central location and all Cast Members are trained to call that central location. Best of all? It didn't cost $2.?+ billion!
This has nothing to do with child abduction. Nor does WDW have anything to do with child abduction. That is a matter for law enforcement to handle.

As for lost children, RFID tracking solves the problem. However, RFID provides many other benefits including an increase in speed, accuracy and accounting. The crowd herding, grouping and moving capabilities are awesome! Moooo! :joyfull:
None of your examples are in any way pertinent to what Disney intends with this technology.
None of the examples I gave have any relationship to the WDW NGE. I cited them to demonstrate some of the more common tracking devices that are currently in use. Tracking things (people, cars, animals) is a very easy thing to do and real time tracking devices are inexpensive (of course the more you pay the more features you get). Frankly, I don't care what Disney does with the technology. It is not illegal to track or data mine people.

I suppose Disney could use the NGE for nefarious purposes but we'll just have to wait and see if they go that route. I see the technology as offering a lot of advantages for all guests.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not to mention that they could have done much of this tracking without the need of RFID tags. There are tons of CCTV cameras already on WDW property....ever seen a demo of CCTV face tracking software? Anyone know if WDW has ever implemented something like that?

Just curious....and no I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat.

Tinfoil hats ...when no one can come up with an intellectual answer to very serious concerns.

Facial recognition cameras and software at WDW??!!!! Never ...

MattM

It's quite dishonest -- and you know it. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I am a capitalist, just not a 21st century let corps do whatever they please capitalist (you can correct me if I am wrong, I believe you lean strongly in said direction.)

I absolutely have qualms with the ways many corps conduct themselves today, including TWDC (of which I am a shareholder). But I have never said companies shouldn't profit. That's just an absurd lie tossed out to deflect off of more important issues.

TWDC made a conscious choice here about HOW it was going to go about making a profit. As consumers of the products they sell, we have every right to ask questions about how they choose to (and choose not to) make a profit. It is very American.

Now, while I'd truly love to go back and forth with you, I have a funeral to get ready for.
You said:
They want to know you, and your kids and -- really -- anyone and everyone, on an intimate level. They then want to turn that information into something else. At last check, I think it remains profit.

Which, when taken in context with the rest of your posts would make one believe that you think it is a bad thing that they are using data for *gasp* profit. Just like your credit card, or any store that has a loyalty program, or Google or any other company that uses data you voluntarily allow them to collect to try and make more money.

If you want to have a debate whether that is the most efficient use of capital, that's a fair question. We're certainly seeing two differing strategies.

What's most American, by the way, is voting with your feet. If you don't like what Disney does, then don't go to Disney. Any "privacy violations" that occur at Walt Disney World from this program are the fault of the person who enters.

Personal responsibility is very American, too. Or at least it used to be...

P.S. - I have to ask if your asking what my political beliefs have to do with the topic are appropriate? Perhaps @wdwmagic or Mom can chime in and let us know if politics is an appropriate question in this forum.

Side Note: I had a young nephew recently pass from cancer. Terrible. Go talk with someone. It's truly helpful

Last edited:

MattM

My personal data is something valuable. Why should I give up my private data to Disney (or any other company for that matter) for free so that they can sell it for a profit?

And yes, I am very conscious about whom I let know what and there are quite strict rules about how data can be sold in Europe already, so much less of an issue for me here.
You absolutely shouldn't have to give up any personal data to Disney. Don't go and there will be no issue. That's what people miss here, if any privacy is given up on a Disney vacation it is because they value the vacation more than the privacy.

Bolna

You absolutely shouldn't have to give up any personal data to Disney. Don't go and there will be no issue. That's what people miss here, if any privacy is given up on a Disney vacation it is because they value the vacation more than the privacy.

Oh, I don't mind Disney having my data - the one that they need to do business with me. But I do object to them selling my data. I do not consider that a sound business practice. And people only don't object to it because the taking of the data is something that people don't see or feel. If Disney required everyone to give a blood sample in order to let them into the park and they would use that to sell the DNA for a research project, would people not mind either and say if you don't agree with that just don't go?

SirLink

Worldwide Numbers are basically worthless in the grand scheme of things, though. Studios collect less than half of them, and then you have China who isn't giving any of its BO proceeds to Hollywood this summer.

The thing is though the big tentpole pictures aren't about just making money its about selling merch which Avengers and Pirates will do with a vengeance. Plus studios were asked to pay a 2% tax and they didn't want to pay.

willtravel

Oh, I don't mind Disney having my data - the one that they need to do business with me. But I do object to them selling my data. I do not consider that a sound business practice. And people only don't object to it because the taking of the data is something that people don't see or feel. If Disney required everyone to give a blood sample in order to let them into the park and they would use that to sell the DNA for a research project, would people not mind either and say if you don't agree with that just don't go?
Is that what this really is (MM+) all about? Selling data? They are looking at the profit they can make from this? Yes, I understand they will use themselves but selling data for profit?

GLaDOS

The thing is though the big tentpole pictures aren't about just making money its about selling merch which Avengers and Pirates will do with a vengeance. Plus studios were asked to pay a 2% tax and they didn't want to pay.

Pirates might. Star Wars will. Marvel is pretty low in the merch category from what I understand, though.

But even then, merch isn't factored in whether or not the film itself made money.

rael ramone

None of your examples are in any way pertinent to what Disney intends with this technology.

You've heard the phrase that "just because everyone else is doing it that doesn't make it Ok for you"? The fact that the ability to track your cell phone already exists doesn't make it automatically acceptable to track people by Mouse Arrest Bands. It it does, let's all meet up in the Contemporary and refill our previous years' mugs, head over to the MK. We'll all rent ECV's and get guest assistance cards to speed things up. Oh, and you did remember to enter MK parking bypassing the toll booths, right?

It's all perfectly fine, because everyone's doing it.

But we'll all have to take a swim in the pool first...

Pentacat

If you aren't paying for it... you are the product.

Who's not paying to be on WDW property though?

That's a rotten choice to have to make. How many times do you get to make that choice of not going somewhere before you can't even leave the house?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Is that what this really is (MM+) all about? Selling data? They are looking at the profit they can make from this? Yes, I understand they will use themselves but selling data for profit?
Speculation. No concrete knowledge on that as far as I know. I assume there may be some degree of it based on the fact that every other company in the country is selling collected information. I also assume that most of the information here would be of no benefit to others, and would actually harm Disney's competitive advantage if they did decide to sell.

Pentacat

It's either that or they believe they will see $1-2 billion in operational savings from Nextgen over the next few years. Most likely a combination of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom