Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

The *point* I was making was that we're talking about two different uses of this information. If someone is going to feel that a targeted sales approach via customer data retention is just as bad as government spying, they need to have their head examined. Also, they need to leave the country. Disney isn't the only company mining customer data....

Oh I get that, I made the very same point last night. I just dont want my information sold to some other company for marketing/sales purposes.

I just wonder exactly at what points does Disney come to the conclusion that guests come to WDW for the entertainment and attractions?

willtravel

Speculation. No concrete knowledge on that as far as I know. I assume there may be some degree of it based on the fact that every other company in the country is selling collected information. I also assume that most of the information here would be of no benefit to others, and would actually harm Disney's competitive advantage if they did decide to sell.
Hell I'm starting to get a little nervous now just to go to the bathroom at WDW.:eek:

MattM

Oh, I don't mind Disney having my data - the one that they need to do business with me. But I do object to them selling my data. I do not consider that a sound business practice. And people only don't object to it because the taking of the data is something that people don't see or feel. If Disney required everyone to give a blood sample in order to let them into the park and they would use that to sell the DNA for a research project, would people not mind either and say if you don't agree with that just don't go?
Well, 1.) That Disney will sell data is pure speculation at this point. 2.) If people need to be told not to go somewhere if they require a DNA sample for entry, then that person probably deserves whatever happens.

the.dreamfinder

Oh I get that, I made the very same point last night. I just dont want my information sold to some other company for marketing/sales purposes.
Back in March, Spirit said that Disney was looking at selling the MM+ data to get companies to sponsor attractions in a big way again.

MattM

That's a rotten choice to have to make. How many times do you get to make that choice of not going somewhere before you can't even leave the house?
Well, that may well be a rotten choice to make. But it's a choice that will have to be made if you ultimately want Disney to feel any negative impact from their decision. Most people are not willing to walk away from something. They feel that they are entitled to visit the resort on their terms. Not the way it works.

I don't think you'll ever be home-bound. If businesses are losing money, then they will change and it would never get to that point.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's either that or they believe they will see $1-2 billion in operational savings from Nextgen over the next few years. Most likely a combination of the two.
Why would it have to be over the next few years? What about over the next few decades? Assuming they made the system a little easier to keep "up to date", couldn't this improve operational efficiency from here on out? In fact, I'd guess that the more data they have, the longer they have to slice and dice the numbers, the better they'll be able to tweak their operations to cut overhead.

Funmeister

This has nothing to do with child abduction. Nor does WDW have anything to do with child abduction. That is a matter for law enforcement to handle.

As for lost children, RFID tracking solves the problem. However, RFID provides many other benefits including an increase in speed, accuracy and accounting. The crowd herding, grouping and moving capabilities are awesome! Moooo! :joyfull:
None of the examples I gave have any relationship to the WDW NGE. I cited them to demonstrate some of the more common tracking devices that are currently in use. Tracking things (people, cars, animals) is a very easy thing to do and real time tracking devices are inexpensive (of course the more you pay the more features you get). Frankly, I don't care what Disney does with the technology. It is not illegal to track or data mine people.

I suppose Disney could use the NGE for nefarious purposes but we'll just have to wait and see if they go that route. I see the technology as offering a lot of advantages for all guests.

So my scenario it is up to local law enforcement but in your scenario RFID solves the problem? Ha ha ha

lazyboy97o

I too am still not entirely sure what is suddenly new to this discussion. Am I supposed to be surprised that Disney uses more aggressive language internally than they do publicly, especially in marketing materials?

And Walt Disney World does not need to sell data to non-Disney companies to make the data more useful. I assume Disney is like many big companies and subsidiaries pay each other to keep their individual books in line.

MattM

I too am still not entirely sure what is suddenly new to this discussion. Am I supposed to be surprised that Disney uses more aggressive language internally than they do publicly, especially in marketing materials?

And Walt Disney World does not need to sell data to non-Disney companies to make the data more useful. I assume Disney is like many big companies and subsidiaries pay each other to keep their individual books in line.
Well, that's because you are obviously just a deflector sent here by CP. :rolleyes:

Black Pearl

After reading some of these, had to:
image.jpg

ParentsOf4

Well, that may well be a rotten choice to make. But it's a choice that will have to be made if you ultimately want Disney to feel any negative impact from their decision. Most people are not willing to walk away from something. They feel that they are entitled to visit the resort on their terms. Not the way it works.
For the sake of discussion, let's say Disney came clean. And I don't mean the hand-waving "Terms and Conditions" clean, which covers just about anything imaginable without specifying a single thing. I mean really truthful with its paying customers. "Here's how we closely will track you, here's the information we will collect about you, here's how we intend to use it."

Do you believe that would have a significant impact on WDW business?

PirateFrank

I just wonder exactly at what points does Disney come to the conclusion that guests come to WDW for the entertainment and attractions?

Um, I dont think they come to that conclusion any more....They obviously come to be told what to buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom