Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rael ramone

It's either that or they believe they will see $1-2 billion in operational savings from Nextgen over the next few years. Most likely a combination of the two.

It's 'all of the above'.

Using the data for their own marketing.
Selling the data to 'experience' sponsors (or basically whoever they feel like)
Using the data to pair down offerings so year round every park feels like MK at NYE.
And the whole thing is going to be sold to the consumer as 'the reason to go' - with 'appropriate' price increases of course
(and to bribe you to spend all your time there so you don't miss your 10:30 Mad Tea Party 'experience')

This whole thing could fail, and be seen by the BOD as a colossal 'capex flush' (even though it sounds like some actual infrastructure needs were deviously snuck into the budget:eek:).

But what I think needs to be harped on more is the 'security' of all this data that is being gleaned from everyone (especially if guest triangulation is part of the data). Guests in testing have already seen other peoples profiles and had the ability to change them (if someone has special dietary needs on their profile someone changing their meals on them could be deadly).

MattM

And yet the population does absolutely nothing about it. I think that was his point...
Correct. They will continually allow it while putting their lives out on social media, using their iWhatevers, and going about their day to day behaviors without making any changes.

Just like they will at Disney.

GLaDOS

Oh I agree, I just don't think laying the blame at the feet of three or four actors works in this particular situation. It won't make much of a profit because Disney can't keep its ish together.

It has little to do with Disney. They're part of the problem, but the overall Hollywood mentality of "bigger is better" is the real problem. When every summer film costs over 100 million dollars, and a large portion over 200 million, you're not going to make much money

SJFPKT

None of your examples are in any way pertinent to what Disney intends with this technology.

You've heard the phrase that "just because everyone else is doing it that doesn't make it Ok for you"? The fact that the ability to track your cell phone already exists doesn't make it automatically acceptable to track people by Mouse Arrest Bands. It it does, let's all meet up in the Contemporary and refill our previous years' mugs, head over to the MK. We'll all rent ECV's and get guest assistance cards to speed things up. Oh, and you did remember to enter MK parking bypassing the toll booths, right?

It's all perfectly fine, because everyone's doing it.

Never said it was ok. All I said was that people are up at arms like this is a new thing, it isn't. If you walk in to any high end retailer, you can bet your bottom dollar it is being done without you even knowing. My whole point is, this is nothing new and that most likely has happened to you in the past. I am more concerned about the security of the product. I want to know if some jackleg with a RFID copier can copy my stuff and bust up in my room. That is my main concern.

We can all whine about big brother and what not, but they have shelled out way to much money to back out now. It is coming, whether we like it or not. All they are going to see with me is some 4 year old buying some cheap light stuff from one of the carts along the parade route. I absolutely refuse to spend money in the parks if at all possible, at least on souvenirs anyway. Why buy in the parks when it will be on sale 6 months at the Disney Online store and then using a Disney Visa, get 10% more off and free shipping. I am one of the ones, along with many here, who go enough that they don't have to shell out megabucks on souvenirs cause the same ole stale product will be there next time or like I said on sale in 6 months online.

scout68

My opinion about the "data mining " is just that an opinion. I do not want to be tracked, herded, bombarded with electronic messages telling me about my 15% off in the splash gift shop as I enter the ride unload. Opting out would be my choice. I only hope this doesn't exclude me from the options that visiting guests will have who have opted in or been included in the program unknowingly. (be it by design or ignorance)

On the subject of selling my "data": Who's to say the companies who pay the mouse for my info will have the same security that Disney is no doubt going to proclaim it has?

Don't like it........don't like it at all. (that would be the aforementioned opinion by the way.

rael ramone

For the sake of discussion, let's say Disney came clean. And I don't mean the hand-waving "Terms and Conditions" clean, which covers just about anything imaginable without specifying a single thing. I mean really truthful with its paying customers. "Here's how we closely will track you, here's the information we will collect about you, here's how we intend to use it."

Do you believe that would have a significant impact on WDW business?

".....here's the reduction in experiences you will enjoy in the parks as a result, here's our record on keeping all this data safe, here's the stuff that we could have spent this capex on, and here's the stuff they are spending their capex on up I-4"

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It has little to do with Disney. They're part of the problem, but the overall Hollywood mentality of "bigger is better" is the real problem. When every summer film costs over 100 million dollars, and a large portion over 200 million, you're not going to make much money
Why does it seem that if a movie doesnt cost $100 million to produce and/or earn $800 million at the box office its not a success? The Goonies and Beverly hills Cop are two of my all time favorites. They cost less than $20 million and are classics. I miss the 80's and movies that relied on STORY not CGI or over paid actors. I have said it before, Hollywood has ran out of ideas!

rael ramone

My opinion about the "data mining " is just that an opinion. I do not want to be tracked, herded, bombarded with electronic messages telling me about my 15% off in the splash gift shop as I enter the ride unload. Opting out would be my choice. I only hope this doesn't exclude me from the options that visiting guests will have who have opted in or been included in the program unknowingly. (be it by design or ignorance).

I wonder if someone staying on property 'opted out' if their room key would work....:eek:

GLaDOS

Why does it seem that if a movie doesnt cost $100 million to produce and/or earn $800 million at the box office its not a success? The Goonies and Beverly hills Cop are two of my all time favorites. They cost less than $20 million and are classics. I miss the 80's and movies that relied on STORY not CGI or over paid actors. I have said it before, Hollywood has ran out of ideas!

It has nothing to do with ideas. Most of the movies out now aren't terrible. Most I'd say are enjoyable.

It's just a mentality that they HAVE to make the most money in the world and have to be huge extravaganzas. It's not that they're bad. It's that people are getting burnt out with every weekend having a giant, show stopping movie released. No one has the time or the money to see them all, therefore they under perform.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

What is $20 million adjusted for inflation?

njDizFan

Correct. They will continually allow it while putting their lives out on social media, using their iWhatevers, and going about their day to day behaviors without making any changes.

Just like they will at Disney.

Regardless of any politcal affiliation anyone may have, don't you at least believe that a business should be run ethically? I know it is an antiquated idea but how about growing profit by creating a great product. Disney is surely not alone as we are being monitored virtually all the time. But as a company that "brands" itself as a wholesome Americana themed entertainment cornerstone it's just slightly ironic that they are leading a new wave of technology that seems the antithesis of what they embody.

I don't want to put words in your mouth but I'm sure you would be against any kind of government regulation on business imposing ethical standards( which would be impossible anyway due to the ambiguous nature of the word) but this feeding frenzy for our personal information is soon to be some ubiquitous that it will eventually have to either be governed or it will run rampant without surcease. The right to privacy was never specifically mentioned in the Constitution but it certainly is inferred and has many statutes that upheld this right. I don't want to live a world where every move of mine is monitored/tracked/sold. I don't want to have to think about where I need to go to avoid these intrusions especially when enjoying a family vacation.

With no current laws against what many companies are doing now in data mining(granted some fairly benevolent) I want to remain hopeful that we as a people can stem this tide but alas I have little hope. Business by and large knows no ethics. It's money for the sake of money. I don't want to sound naive, I know corruption occurs on all levels of humanity(personal,business, government,religeon) but is data mining a "good" way to earn more money or is it a morally bankrupt way of squeezing cash out of the consumer without generating a new idea. Heck, what would John Galt say?

Clever Name

You...YOU...cannot bring up "lost children" without addressing the fact that sometimes "lost" can be the result of an abduction. You cannot have your cake and eat it to when you use the argument of using RFID to find "lost" children when a "lost" child could be one that was kidnapped.
Sorry, but I don't understand.

MattM

Regardless of any politcal affiliation anyone may have, don't you at least believe that a business should be run ethically? I know it is an antiquated idea but how about growing profit by creating a great product. Disney is surely not alone as we are being monitored virtually all the time. But as a company that "brands" itself as a wholesome Americana themed entertainment cornerstone it's just slightly ironic that they are leading a new wave of technology that seems the antithesis of what they embody.

I don't want to put words in your mouth but I'm sure you would be against any kind of government regulation on business imposing ethical standards( which would be impossible anyway due to the ambiguous nature of the word) but this feeding frenzy for our personal information is soon to be some ubiquitous that it will eventually have to either be governed or it will run rampant without surcease. The right to privacy was never specifically mentioned in the Constitution but it certainly is inferred and has many statutes that upheld this right. I don't want to live a world where every move of mine is monitored/tracked/sold. I don't want to have to think about where I need to go to avoid these intrusions especially when enjoying a family vacation.

With no current laws against what many companies are doing now in data mining(granted some fairly benevolent) I want to remain hopeful that we as a people can stem this tide but alas I have little hope. Business by and large knows no ethics. It's money for the sake of money. I don't want to sound naive, I know corruption occurs on all levels of humanity(personal,business, government,religeon) but is data mining a "good" way to earn more money or is it a morally bankrupt way of squeezing cash out of the consumer without generating a new idea. Heck, what would John Galt say?

Of course I think a business should be run ethically.

You have to separate things here. Disney has the right to do what they want to do, so long as they are operating within the bounds of the law. The individual (Disney's customer) has the right to do whatever they want to do as well, within the bounds of the law.

My stance has always been that your "privacy" at Disney will only be violated if you allow it to be. Too many people here will complain about the alleged "privacy violation" but they really don't want to cancel that trip they have booked. If they want Disney to change, that's what they're going to have to do. But that's not the way people these days. They're not willing to make that sacrifice.

Is this the way I would spend 1-2 billion dollars? Well, on the surface, no. But we really don't know that much about it, regardless of what's on this thread. It's all speculation.

Galt would not participate with Disney, in my opinion. "He" would be willing to make that sacrifice. I don't think the typical American consumer, nor most posters here, will do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom