Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

Of course I think a business should be run ethically.

You have to separate things here. Disney has the right to do what they want to do, so long as they are operating within the bounds of the law. The individual (Disney's customer) has the right to do whatever they want to do as well, within the bounds of the law.

My stance has always been that your "privacy" at Disney will only be violated if you allow it to be. Too many people here will complain about the alleged "privacy violation" but they really don't want to cancel that trip they have booked. If they want Disney to change, that's what they're going to have to do. But that's not the way people these days. They're not willing to make that sacrifice.
This to me is the key difference that makes comparisons to government programs ridiculous. Yes, Disney may be giving an all or nothing choice, but it is still a choice. There is no active choice in government programs and even leaving the country may not be enough.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Thats pathetic. A few years and all they have are going to show us is some garments and drawings? I remember when I would do my homework on the bus on the way to school. Looks like they threw that together on the ride there. LMAO

it's a subtle difference, but a difference none the less.

Clever Name

Several people have said that they don't see any advantage to NGE for the guests. The biggest advantage will be fast entry into the parks. You'll no longer have to stand behind someone who is fumbling around looking for their ticket. People with strollers will no longer have to wheel them through a separate gate. Finger scanning will be eliminated. Turnstiles will be a thing of the past.

Most guests will enter the park by simply walking by the "Mickey Ball" and waving their MagicBand. They won't have to stop or even slow down. People in ECV's will be able to speed into the parks without having to downshift. It's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

pwnbeaver

And it's barely going to make a profit.

I refuse to believe this kind of stuff. The greedy studios say things like that all the time to try and undermine their profits and get tax breaks. If they knew that they wouldn't make much on Avengers they wouldn't have spent a ludicrous amount of money on RDJ. If they know that they won't make much on Avengers 2 they wouldn't have given the whole cast raises. It's rumoured that Disney purposely tanked Lone Ranger (a really good movie, and something that should have been a hit) to kill some of Depp's stock and power. If they don't make much money on movies, how could they afford to throw away a 200 million dollar venture?

This story is relevant and always interesting to me:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/27/business/media/27movie.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I think that studios are making way more on movies than they want you to know. Do I think that The Lone Ranger could have cost 200 million dollars to make? Sure, but that could be inflated too. Do I believe that they wouldn't have made anything off of it had it cleared 300 mil at the box office? Not a chance.

ParentsOf4

That's your opinion, and I respect that.

I also know how much privacy people are willing to give up for something they deem is worth it. I just have a hard time believing that Mommy and Daddy aren't going to take their little princess to Disney because they will be monitored while there.

I just can't see it having much of an impact on the average guest. But it's hard to back anything up regarding any of this with facts because there really aren't many known facts out there. Lots of speculating, sure, but little facts.

Also important to note: You originally had asked if I thought it would have significant impact on Disney's business. I said no. I never said it would have "no" impact, as you said in the quoted post above. Big difference.
You're completely right. There's a difference between "no" and "significant" impact. In my second post, I should have used more consistent wording. I am sorry for that. You're also correct to suggest that we are just sharing opinions and I greatly respect yours.

Let's see if we can take the discussion one step further into the realm of slightly educated guessing to try to reach a common understanding of "significant impact".

Overwhelmingly, polls show the public dislikes being spied on. I'll pick on the Washington Post poll regarding the NSA's spying program as a starting point. About 70% of Americans don't like it. Just inventing random numbers now, let's guess only half of those (one-third) would feel the same way about Disney. Let's go further and guess that another half (one-sixth) would care enough to alter their plans, some by either not using MagicBands or by simply deciding to vacation somewhere else. I'm suggesting to you that the one-sixth altering their plans represents a "significant" impact on WDW business. But let's say even that's too high and cut it in half, to one-twelfth. That's roughly an 8% impact on business, which I'd consider to be significant. Even half that again would be significant; a 4% drop in WDW attendance would be bad. Consider that for a moment; all it takes is 1-in-25 to care in order to have a significant impact on WDW business.

Rhetorically and conversely, if Disney did fully disclose, how many would say, "Gee, I wasn't planning on going to Disney World but now that I know they are going to follow my every move, I'm changing my plans and booking a trip!"

Just imagine if the press got hold of it; if 60 Minutes did a piece on "Big Mickey Is Watching You."

All this is pure conjecture of course, because we know Disney has absolutely no intention of publicly divulging the true extent of their monitoring program. So we'll never know for sure. Just like the NSA.:D

We all understand that Disney doesn't fully disclose because they are aware that it would have an adverse effect on business. Being truthful with their paying customers is not the Disney Way, not when it affects the bottom line!

By the way, I travel rather frequently in Europe and know the public outrage there to the NSA's spying program far exceeds American concern. Considering WDW's reliance on EU tourism, the impact from overseas almost certainly would be greater.

Sorry in advance if I come off rather snippy in my post. It's just that, to me, it's obvious that Disney desperately doesn't want the public knowing its plans because disclosure would hurt business.

Your turn!:)

CinematicFusion

Thats pathetic. A few years and all they have is some garments and drawings? I remember when I would do my homework on the bus on the way to school. Looks like they threw that together on the ride there. LMAO

Yep...Disney is stalling, hope they say something more about Star Wars Land and Avatar Land this weekend and these set ups are just a taste of what's to come. If this is all we get this weekend, then nothing really has changed.

Here is an update from SlashFilm...
UPDATE: We’ve been contacted by Disney Imagineering and told the quotes we originally reported, though from an official Disney website, were incorrect. Frank Reifsnyder, Communications & Media Relations Manager for Walt Disney Imagineering said, “There will be teases to Star Wars and to Avatar but nothing about any attractions or experiences based on those properties. Nor are we releasing any new information on those at the D23 Expo.” Basically, there will be teases, just not to anything specific or imminent.

So, nothing has changed since sept. 2011 on Avatar...for 2 years we have heard they are working on the plans...and the big reveal for D3!!!!...still working on plans. Disappointing...maybe a surprise is coming???

njDizFan

Of course I think a business should be run ethically.

You have to separate things here. Disney has the right to do what they want to do, so long as they are operating within the bounds of the law. The individual (Disney's customer) has the right to do whatever they want to do as well, within the bounds of the law.

My stance has always been that your "privacy" at Disney will only be violated if you allow it to be. Too many people here will complain about the alleged "privacy violation" but they really don't want to cancel that trip they have booked. If they want Disney to change, that's what they're going to have to do. But that's not the way people these days. They're not willing to make that sacrifice.

Is this the way I would spend 1-2 billion dollars? Well, on the surface, no. But we really don't know that much about it, regardless of what's on this thread. It's all speculation.

Galt would not participate with Disney, in my opinion. "He" would be willing to make that sacrifice. I don't think the typical American consumer, nor most posters here, will do the same.

Agree somehwat with what you wrote. But why does it always have to be "if you don't like well then just don't go"? It should not be that finite.

As far as speculation, sure no on here actually knows all the intracies of NGE but does anyone here really doubt the endgame. It's for profit data mining. Will there be benefits to the consumer, perhaps.

I just know that a healthy individual does not equate all of their success monetarily. There is the joy of family life, enjoying your professional life, etc. I somehow wish that businesses thought the same way.Not that the only thing that matters is profit but also creating something functional or beautiful or what ever else you can use to guage success, like remaining loyal to your consumers by creating ground breaking and innovative theme park attractions. Profit will surely come...

Have we gone down this road already...ya I think so. Sorry slow day here as a corporate slave...

Reactions: HMF

MattM

Sorry in advance if I come off rather snippy in my post. It's just that, to me, it's obvious that Disney desperately doesn't want the public knowing its plans because disclosure would hurt business.

Your turn!:)

Minimized the quote for the sake of space...

First of all, no worries on the snippyness. It happens.

My brief response with you is this. Yes, I know what the statistics say on the public's opinion of the NSA program. But what good is an opinion poll of one's opinion when that same person will most likely take absolutely no action against it?

And this certainly could blow up in Disney's face. But if a public spout between the CEO of one of the world's most iconic companies, and a US Congressman, (now Senator) didn't get the news agency's attention then, I doubt it will now.

Again, and I've lost count of how many times I've said this on this board. I'm willing to walk away. I don't think most here are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom