Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You just brought Anthrax and Slayer into a WDW post. And Megadeth. Plus Metallica of old.

I love you.

That's all.

(edit to add something of quality to the post: You're absolutely right on all accounts. Especially with your comparision of metal to Disney. Seriously? Did I say I love you yet?)

Lol. Thanks. I should let you know that I'm a 43 year old married man, so I hope this is friendship type love.

WDW1974

Original Poster
For @TP2000 and others who care about looks. This is Tom Staggs, Head of P&R, getting all dressed up in 90210 (my former -- and always in my heart -- second home). A bit different than Nick Franklin addressing the media ... and just so you realize it, that outfit costs more than the average WDW CM makes in a year. And Staggs has plenty more.
you may want to take screenshots, because as soon as this gets out on social media, Disney will get it removed:

http://instagram.com/p/NaC5r7NHcL/

WDW1974

Original Poster
They already did.. it's called Disney Infinity :D

That is sorta where I was going ... Disney has just become a giant stable of IP (much of it not even created by them) that they really don't know what to do with ... so why not toss them all into a salad and see what it tastes like?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is Rohde the "Fall guy" for Avatar, or are they just looking for an excuse to can him? I got the impression Avatar was rammed down his throat, so to hold im responcible seems silly... but this is the new Disney after all, so it's possible.

Nah, just an excuse. ... Avatar was rammed down his throat. I'm pretty sure if you got him blitzed and asked him, he'd tell you that Pandora has no place in DAK to begin with.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If you read the Eddie Sotto threads, he discusses how you basically have to keep busy to maintain a job at Walt Disney Imagineering. Without a project to actively work on, you become a target. Having a huge salary only makes you a bigger target.

That's true.

But what you won't read on Eddie's thread is any of the behind the scenes politics or any opinion on who the good guys and bad boys are and what the real motivations are. ... But Eddie did work for WDI, albeit last century, and most of the people he worked with are also long gone, but there is a code of keeping things in-house.

That's what made Tony different. He wasn't good at keeping his mouth shut ... I doubt things will change with him hanging around Baxter Manor all the time.

Kuhio

For @TP2000 and others who care about looks. This is Tom Staggs, Head of P&R, getting all dressed up in 90210 (my former -- and always in my heart -- second home).

I care about inner beauty. Is Tom Staggs inner-beautiful?

And why would anyone in a position like Staggs's allow himself to be photographed by a bespoke tailor without emphasizing that the photo isn't to be used for promotional purposes -- let alone put on a social media platform with hashtags like #powerfulmen, #swag, and #handsome?
laugh2.gif

(I thought the Spirit's second home was Communist Red China...
drevil.gif
)

Goofyernmost

That's true.

But what you won't read on Eddie's thread is any of the behind the scenes politics or any opinion on who the good guys and bad boys are and what the real motivations are. ... But Eddie did work for WDI, albeit last century, and most of the people he worked with are also long gone, but there is a code of keeping things in-house.

That's what made Tony different. He wasn't good at keeping his mouth shut ... I doubt things will change with him hanging around Baxter Manor all the time.
When you think about it, there would nothing to be gained by making a scene. He would be accused of being a disgruntled employee, whining about how badly he was done by all the while collecting mega pay checks. It's a no win situation for him.

He would be wise to just collect as much consulting money he can and retire and enjoy the spoils of his employment that had many great times for him and a few bad, just like the lives of the rest of us mortals. He can say that Imagination isn't what it used to be, and they will counter with, of course, he's going to say that he was part of the original development. Everybody that ever saw the original already knows that and those that didn't have no frame of reference at all.

Figments Friend

-
Agree.
I cannot see him wanting to do that anyway...slating the company he has worked for all these years, regardless of what happened.

Seems a bit more classy than that....

..but then again, i would not be alone i am sure in saying that whatever he would have to ramble about at Baxter Manor would likely be quite interesting.

:)

RSoxNo1

@Lee, when Joe does get the axe and with the AK as his pet park since he was the creative lead for many of the parks designs, attractions, etc. Who do you think will be the next lead Imagineer who would oversee the future designs, attractions, etc.? I hope it ain't Jacobsen.
Forgive my ignorance, but what's with the hate on Jacobson - am I missing something?

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, this is news, but not Disney-related per se, although since folks have asked about it ... have it on very solid info that the JP E-Ticket at IOA will be a hypercoaster (B&M?) attraction ... and the other will be a walk-through interactive experience (more C-Ticket) that stretches down to the water from the old Trike Encounter locale.

What do you guys think of a where's Georgie K thread idea?

WDW1974

Original Poster
It really is insane to have one guy with creative authority over 3 different parks.

That is true. But when the one guy doesn't have much to watch over ... understand that Kathy Mangum was sent to FL to watch over everything that is done here.

John

Not sure why anyone would be surprised that there is a house cleaning going on at WDI.....they have really very little plans in the near future to expand.....dont need someone of Baxters talent to design wristbands.

BryceM

OK, this is news, but not Disney-related per se, although since folks have asked about it ... have it on very solid info that the JP E-Ticket at IOA will be a hypercoaster (B&M?) attraction ... and the other will be a walk-through interactive experience (more C-Ticket) that stretches down to the water from the old Trike Encounter locale.

What do you guys think of a where's Georgie K thread idea?
Oh no. I hope that hyper coaster isn't true...

WDW1974

Original Poster
What I'd like to know is what exactly entails a huge salary at WDI? Any thoughts, @WDW1974?

@BlueSkyDriveBy has repeatedly mentioned six figures.

If you are talking Director level and then SRVP and EVP those salaries can be closer to seven figures in some cases then six.

But no one at any of those levels is struggling. Tony was the highest paid guy there. I believe, but am not sure that Tom Fitzgerald would be now ... and Joe Rohde is well up there.

Oh, and none of that includes the stock and other benefits. These folks are all millionaires. not that that means very much today. I doubt any of them would consider themselves more than 'upper middle class'.

Genie of the Lamp

Forgive my ignorance, but what's with the hate on Jacobson - am I missing something?

Not necessarily hate, just don't like or don't perfer to better put it. One reason you could argue is that he is the creative Imagineer lead for 3 of the WDW parks (MK, EPCOT, DHS). That takes alot of time and energy (even if you aren't creating attractions or doing basic refurbs) so if you were to make him creative lead on all 4 parks, that's a big responsibility. I'd just make him creative lead at MK then let other Imagineers run the other parks. That's just my opinion. The only positive success towards Jacobsen's resume is the TOT which you could argue is the best WDW attraction. You could argue that he was also creative lead on BB but other than that there's nothing worth touting in his resume and for someone in his role you'd expect better. Granted he'd be better than me but he shouldn't have the role he has not simply because he doesn't have talent to man the role he has now but because it would be too much work on his plate and shows WDI is scaling back on Imagineers. Plus if you watch that IAAPA video with him and Baxter, he was soooooo clueless that on even the most basic questions he looked flabbergassed and Baxter had to pitch in and help him out. Again, he seems like a nice guy with great passion and all, but given someone of his role (Senior Vice President, Creative Development), he shouldn't be the creative lead at all four parks. No one else should either so I'm not singling him out. Unless your Eric Jacobson then I regret everything I said:oops:. Also didn't like the fact that him and a bunch of other Imagineers ganged up on Tony and such but at the same time Tony shouldn't had said it out in the open that Imagination was broken and instead should've said it to him behind closed doors. Does this help?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom