Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hear that, folks?
Get your souvenir requests in now so I'll know how big a bag to take.
;)

For people who believe you are a 'like' (which you sorta are!), I'll have the home viewers know that you liked that post BEFORE I added that edit.

And we WILL be there! One way or another!:);):cool:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah, I mentioned that in another thread.

A Star Wars land? At DCA?
Let's see...
It doesn't relate to California.
There is really no room.
Star Tours is across the esplanade.

Nope...even an entry level fanboy could see that doesn't pass the sniff test.

It doesn't matter with crazy rumors ... it never does ... you do know the MK is getting an E-Ticket in Frontierland that Tony Baxter is working on, right?:D

Have I mentioned that Joe Rohde is next up on the celeb Imagineer to be looking for work (unlike Tony, I don't see him refusing to work for others) list?

djlaosc

I have no idea on any specific timeline for announcements at UNI. They like to keep things under wraps (relatively speaking) with just enough leaking to get fans hot and bothered with the knowledge that they don't have the same business modeling as WDW.

Look at Potter, it's going up in two parks in front of everyone and they haven't officially said one word. And they don't intend to for quite a while.

I guess when you actually are building things you don't have to hold press events to announce things like ... benches. I can't wait for the Tangled toilets events, every blogger in O-Town will be fighting for position!

Yeah, it's annoying as a fan to know that stuff is coming but not what it is - it seems to be a case of we already know about Transformers, Springfield, London, Jurassic Park, Cabana Bay - now tell us about Kidzone for 3/4 years away - we always want to know the next thing - but it's a good problem to have, and it's good to see building happening at various parts of the resort. There will be a lot to keep us occupied until Kidzone expands.

Lee

Adventurer
Have I mentioned that Joe Rohde is next up on the celeb Imagineer to be looking for work (unlike Tony, I don't see him refusing to work for others) list?
You did mention that. I gotta think he's currently scrambling to line up a Plan B for DAK for when/if the Avatar plug finally gets pulled. No Plan B...no more Joe.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Have to wait for the Marvel/Star Wars crossover movie that will inevitably be made. My money is on Iron Man Versus the Death Star.

Then Cali will get it's third gate, a Marvel Star Wars Mash-up Park.

Why not just add everyone from Oswald to Captain Jack to Buzz Lightyear to Mrs. Incredible to Aladdin to Hulk to Han Solo to Pooh to etc?

Thing of all the merchandising possibilities? Just put all the above on a mug, magnet, tee ... Steven Miller just wet his pants.

DocMcHulk

You did mention that. I gotta think he's currently scrambling to line up a Plan B for DAK for when/if the Avatar plug finally gets pulled. No Plan B...no more Joe.
Is Rohde the "Fall guy" for Avatar, or are they just looking for an excuse to can him? I got the impression Avatar was rammed down his throat, so to hold im responcible seems silly... but this is the new Disney after all, so it's possible.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Gotta run back to the real world, but saw your response, Numero Dos.

It's not just him. Kim Irvine, Tom Morris, Tom Fitzgerald, Kevin Rafferty etc ... there's a long line of folks at either the director, SRVP or EVP levels with huge salaries and Bruce Vaughn who was brought into his position with the brief of greatly downsizing WDI.

But I have been told specifically that Joe is on very thin Pandoran ice. If they pull the plug (when?), then he will have nothing on his plate.

Anyway ... I hear there's a great new coffee thread!

Genie of the Lamp

@Lee, when Joe does get the axe and with the AK as his pet park since he was the creative lead for many of the parks designs, attractions, etc. Who do you think will be the next lead Imagineer who would oversee the future designs, attractions, etc.? I hope it ain't Jacobsen.

Lee

Adventurer
Is Rohde the "Fall guy" for Avatar, or are they just looking for an excuse to can him? I got the impression Avatar was rammed down his throat, so to hold im responcible seems silly... but this is the new Disney after all, so it's possible.
No, he won't be a fall guy. Like Spirit says, if Joe didn't have a major project on his plate they would likely drop him and his salary like a hot potato.
The great WDI purge of 2013 has begun.
@Lee, when Joe does get the axe and with the AK as his pet park since he was the creative lead for many of the parks designs, attractions, etc. Who do you think will be the next lead Imagineer who would oversee the future designs, attractions, etc.? I hope it ain't Jacobsen.
It could well be folded in with the other three parks under Eric J.'s portfolio. I don't see them elevating anyone new up to that level.

DocMcHulk

There are a lot of very talented people at WDI and many who genuinely care about the parks. However, management, as it is structured today, will never let them do what they would want to do.

lazyboy97o

If you read the Eddie Sotto threads, he discusses how you basically have to keep busy to maintain a job at Walt Disney Imagineering. Without a project to actively work on, you become a target. Having a huge salary only makes you a bigger target.

Genie of the Lamp

There are a lot of very talented people at WDI and many who genuinely care about the parks. However, management, as it is structured today, will never let them do what they would want to do.

Yeah for reals home slice they're very talented and well passionate people. If they didn't geuinely care about the parks, then they simply shouldn't have that job to begin with for gosh sakes. At this rate with Management scaling back the Imagineering department, if they don't pay attention and don't let them do what they want to do, then the oldies and (more concerningly) younguns will most definitely walk out and leave and possibly join a rival company to help them build amazing attractions/lands.

HMF

Its ironic to me in a way, because 20 years ago, the average citizen couldn't make their own quality animation or green screen setup with a quality camera without a HUGE budget, but now they can, yet these movies are costing more and more to make.

I would have thought that the technology to make these movies would make costs come down...but then again, it is Hollywood.
Technically many things should be easier and cheaper these days. It's the layers of Bureaucracy and Creative meddling at the major Studios that drives the price up.

HMF

They'll think of some excuse as to why the theme will fit... Star Wars is a Hollywood blockbuster, so it'll definitely fit in Hollywood Land. Uuuhhh... WHAT?! No! It's not going to happen.
Isn't that the same logic that put Star Tours in DHS?

DocMcHulk

If you read the Eddie Sotto threads, he discusses how you basically have to keep busy to maintain a job at Walt Disney Imagineering. Without a project to actively work on, you become a target. Having a huge salary only makes you a bigger target.
That actually connects up with a passing comment an Imagineer told me once. I didnt think much of it at the time, but that comment by Sotto makes the Imagineer's comment make sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom