Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Oh, yes. The whole thing (nearly a week for some) is totally on the mouse's dime. Airfare, rooms, tickets, food, swag...everything.

All in an effort to ensure that every insignificant blogger has a great time and provides glowing and magical reviews to their readers.
Bought and paid for.

Can you get a massage with a "happy ending" at the spas? If so, count me in baby!

MattM

Yes, but what matters is that your son has, not you. You are the older generation, no offense, and it would be his generation that will pass on the love of Potter to their children the way you did with Star Wars with yours. I've read them, and I know that I will encourage my children to read them. I know many many many of my friends who have done this already, or will do it when they have children of their own. I think you underestimate how Potter impacted this generation of children... Not surprising sice you haven't read the series or seen the movies. (Not knocking that you haven't. Just saying it is hard for you to understand the full impact having not experienced the series.)

I've repeated before, I think HP has a very good chance of lone term success. Fantasy series seem to have a better chance of longetivity. Look at the Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings... That sucker was published in 1954. Now the movies helped repopularize it, but the fact is that it has always had a large fan base. I see Potter as having a good chance to do that, not only because it is a good story but it is also an easier read, not to mention the cultural impact it has had, much like Lord of the Rings, or yes Star Wars too.

No offense taken, and I agree with what you are saying. My only point is that, right now, SW is a proven franchise/brand that we know has the generational appeal. I'm not saying that HP can't do that. It may very well. And if it does, UNI will be rewarded greatly for taking the risk. If it doesn't, then they have a multi-park land that is irrelevant. Only time will tell.

I'm sure they're great books, and I may read them one day. But for now, a boy wizard doesn't much interest me. For the sake of the Orlando area, I hope interest in the series/land stays strong.

OFTeric

No offense taken, and I agree with what you are saying. My only point is that, right now, SW is a proven franchise/brand that we know has the generational appeal. I'm not saying that HP can't do that. It may very well. And if it does, UNI will be rewarded greatly for taking the risk. If it doesn't, then they have a multi-park land that is irrelevant. Only time will tell.

I'm sure they're great books, and I may read them one day. But for now, a boy wizard doesn't much interest me. For the sake of the Orlando area, I hope interest in the series/land stays strong.

I always get confused when people use SW... it always takes me a few seconds to figure out if they are talking about Star Wars or SeaWorld lol

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Look at the sites that are not invited, and it is clear.

It could explain why my blog - "WDW seems to be getting crappier every year, I mean really, is the place run by brain dead morons or soulless profiteers whose soul joy in life comes from stock prices. My guess is a combination of both.", never seems to get an invite. I always figured it might just be the length of the name.

Lee

Adventurer
It could explain why my blog - "WDW seems to be getting crappier every year, I mean really, is the place run by brain dead morons or soulless profiteers whose soul joy in life comes from stock prices. My guess is a combination of both.", never seems to get an invite. I always figured it might just be the length of the name.
Yeah...you might wanna go with an acronym or something...

Another thought about this weeks festivities...
I'd like to know how many bloggers/lifestylers who aren't from out of town are being put up at the Flo.
I know it isn't unusual for folks from as far away as Davenport and Clermont to get free rooms, even when they could easily just drive over.

flynnibus

Premium Member
At best, for ever dollar spent on charitable contributions will return 35 cents of lowered taxes. They have to have other reasons for donating to charities, or just be really really bad with money.

It can be better than that... remember corporatations pay taxes on profits... not revenue. There be the twist :)

There are also lots of motivations that are not directly monetary - but are still selfish (in they are self-serving to the business)

ptaylor

Premium Member
Yeah...you might wanna go with an acronym or something...

Another thought about this weeks festivities...
I'd like to know how many bloggers/lifestylers who aren't from out of town are being put up at the Flo.
I know it isn't unusual for folks from as far away as Davenport and Clermont to get free rooms, even when they could easily just drive over.
Well they are even bringing in bloggers from the runDisney world. Insignificant in the world of running, and insignificant in the world of parks, yet airfare and a stay at the GF are on the house.

Animaniac93-98

Just a thought on the comped rooms at GF: chances are the hotel isn't running at a high occupancy rate right now and if those rooms were not given away they'd still sit empty. It's an easy move for Disney to make as they don't really lose money, but they'll wow the bloggers who'll brag about the "luxurious" accomodations and recommend that it's worth the price (even if it isn't).

MattM

Oh, yes. The whole thing (nearly a week for some) is totally on the mouse's dime. Airfare, rooms, tickets, food, swag...everything.

I don't have a problem with that, when done with the right bloggers. Say they flew Ree Drummond's "The Pioneer Woman" family to Disney, all expenses paid (who I know for her crazy good recipes that my wife makes, have any of you had them?). They go and have a great time. Stay at the GF or Contemporary, it doesn't cost Disney the actual price of the hotel room for them to stay there, or the actual costs of the food. Let's say, and let's try and overestimate here, that Disney has $10k in the trip. Now, Drummond goes back home and writes a glowing review full of crisp photographs and posts it to her website. Her site gets between 13-20 million page views a month. Now let's say 1% of those who read it book a vacation. Thats 165k (based on avg) visitors. If I'm half wrong and only 0.5% book a vacation, that's still 80k+ people. Let's go off Disney's website and say a 6 day 7 night vacation (room, tix, food) is $2,772 (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/vacation-packages/). Do the math and tell me if that $10k investment was worth it!

Where else do you get that kind of exposure to the demographic you're wanting to reach for that small of a price?

Granted, Drummond is significantly more popular than most bloggers out there. But the ratios and percentages are still the same. A mommy blogger doesn't have to convince that many of her readers to go to Disney for Disney's investment to become profitable. Many different companies do this...giving their product to a blogger for free so that they will review it and readers will see it. They do it because it works.

MattM

Just a thought on the comped rooms at GF: chances are the hotel isn't running at a high occupancy rate right now and if those rooms were not given away they'd still sit empty. It's an easy move for Disney to make as they don't really lose money, but they'll wow the bloggers who'll brag about the "luxurious" accomodations and recommend that it's worth the price (even if it isn't).

Exactly. The cost is minimal compared to potential returns.

Lee

Adventurer
^The woman in your example would make sense.

Where I, and some others, have a problem is when they are doing all that for bloggers who have very little to no reach outside the Disney fan community. Preachers to the choir.

Blurs the line between blogger and paid brand advocate.

MattM

^The woman in your example would make sense.

Where I, and some others, have a problem is when they are doing all that for bloggers who have very little to no reach outside the Disney fan community. Preachers to the choir.

Blurs the line between blogger and paid brand advocate.

I understand and agree with having issues with RB, LM, TC, et al getting that treatment. But the "mommy bloggers" get lumped in with them, and should not be. They can be a very effective tool. Disney, and many other companies know and recognize that.

have you had any of her recipes, @Lee?

ParentsOf4

Last year's WDW room occupancy rate was 78% which, I believe, is the lowest since 9/11.

Right now, there are a lot of rooms at WDW sitting empty.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom