Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

michmousefan

WDWFanDave

Just a thought on the comped rooms at GF: chances are the hotel isn't running at a high occupancy rate right now and if those rooms were not given away they'd still sit empty. It's an easy move for Disney to make as they don't really lose money, but they'll wow the bloggers who'll brag about the "luxurious" accomodations and recommend that it's worth the price (even if it isn't).

You're correct...there are rooms available, I just priced a package to check in tomorrow and stay for a week.

BUT-the ONLY rooms available at the GF according to the WDW website are the 'Outer Building-Garden View' (aka the 'cheap seats), and it's $615 per night. (by the way-my caps use is not yelling at you, just yelling cause I'm irritated!)

And, you're right-they won't lose money on the deal (Disney)...they'll pass it along in the form of higher prices for the normal, everyday, paying guest. That's my issue.

Why does it have to be free...why not get a CM rate, or something similar? Likely because some of these folks wouldn't even bother...and if that's the case...well, we know that they are not worth listening to.

Would love to see the faces of people who are paying guests right now at GF that find out all of these folks are staying there for free because they're going to write something nice about WDW.

WDWFanDave

Yeah...you might wanna go with an acronym or something...

Another thought about this weeks festivities...
I'd like to know how many bloggers/lifestylers who aren't from out of town are being put up at the Flo.
I know it isn't unusual for folks from as far away as Davenport and Clermont to get free rooms, even when they could easily just drive over.

Saw a tweet from at least one VERY local blogger about checking in there...

Wonder if they EVER pay for a night to go and stay on the property since they live so close? Nah, I'm sure they don't. Just take the freebie stay, right some sunshiny pixie dust filled report and live happily ever after...

Any idea if Disney at least sends these folks a 1099? Maybe I can begin to stomach it if I know they have to pay taxes on it.

asianway

Wonder if they EVER pay for a night to go and stay on the property since they live so close? Nah, I'm sure they don't. Just take the freebie stay, right some sunshiny pixie dust filled report and live happily ever after...

Any idea if Disney at least sends these folks a 1099? Maybe I can begin to stomach it if I know they have to pay taxes on it.
No...that would not be a taxable event...

MattM

And, you're right-they won't lose money on the deal (Disney)...they'll pass it along in the form of higher prices for the normal, everyday, paying guest. That's my issue.

It's only being passed on in that it is a cost of doing business. The same as any other expense is passed on to the guest. It's not like they're raising room rates by 100$ on everyone else to compensate for the free rooms they're giving away.

GiveMeTheMusic

The issue here isn't that Disney is giving someone comped rooms/food/air/tickets and them getting away with a vacation scot-free. The issue is WHOM they select to receive these glorious freebies. It would appear from the outside that the ROI on these people is exceptionally low, and most of them have no reach or influence outside of the Disney fan sphere - meaning, no new potential guests are going to come across their MAGICal report of this event and then book a trip.

Comp trips are SOP for travel destinations inviting media. But why Disney considers many of these bloggers as worthy of comps is what escapes our comprehension.

MattM

Comp trips are SOP for travel destinations inviting media. But why Disney considers many of these bloggers as worthy of comps is what escapes our comprehension.

To be fair, we have no idea what the ROI of bloggers are to Disney. I would assume that their (disney bloggers) sites come up under many Google searches when families are planning trips, etc. But if we operate under the assumption that Disney is a big heartless greedy corporation that doesn't do anything that doesn't make money, we have to also assume that these comps are making them money.

bubbles1812

No offense taken, and I agree with what you are saying. My only point is that, right now, SW is a proven franchise/brand that we know has the generational appeal. I'm not saying that HP can't do that. It may very well. And if it does, UNI will be rewarded greatly for taking the risk. If it doesn't, then they have a multi-park land that is irrelevant. Only time will tell.

I'm sure they're great books, and I may read them one day. But for now, a boy wizard doesn't much interest me. For the sake of the Orlando area, I hope interest in the series/land stays strong.
Out of curiosity, have you been to WHOPP? As you stated, it holds no interest for you right now but clearly it does for your son. WWOHP is honestly a great introduction to the series. I went in February with my mother who has neither read the series nor managed to make it thru any of the movies without falling asleep (Just a note... My mom falls asleep in pretty much any movie that is not a romantic comedy. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, any action movie, she conks out. So the fact she fell asleep in HP isn't an inditement of the those movies lol. Anyways...) My mom actually loved the whole land. She loved the immersiveness and detail, and she even braved FJ, which is totally not her typical ride, which she loved. Just something to think about for you and your son. I think he'd love it and you might be surprised how much you enjoy it.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Not really. The writer isn't forced to write a positive review.
They may not be forced, but would you write a negative review when you know that your next invite is determined by how you respond to the current event? Obviously a seasoned reporter from the NYT is not going to care about invites, and will say it the way it is. But take the case of a blogger, who has just been given a free return flight, free stay at the GF, free food and drink, and gets to see a preview of things ahead - it is a big deal. This manipulates the message that the bloggers deliver. They are basically brand advocates, compensated by these events.

MattM

Out of curiosity, have you been to WHOPP? As you stated, it holds no interest for you right now but clearly it does for your son. WWOHP is honestly a great introduction to the series. I went in February with my mother who has neither read the series nor managed to make it thru any of the movies without falling asleep (Just a note... My mom falls asleep in pretty much any movie that is not a romantic comedy. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, any action movie, she conks out. So the fact she fell asleep in HP isn't an inditement of the those movies lol. Anyways...) My mom actually loved the whole land. She loved the immersiveness and detail, and she even braved FJ, which is totally not her typical ride, which she loved. Just something to think about for you and your son. I think he'd love it and you might be surprised how much you enjoy it.

We've been a number of times. He loves it, I love it. I "get" the story without having read the book or seen the movie, which I think speaks well to those involved with the project. I agree, the detail and immersion is first class. The beer isn't terrible either ;)

MattM

They may not be forced, but would you write a negative review when you know that your next invite is determined by how you respond to the current event? Obviously a seasoned reporter from the NYT is not going to care about invites, and will say it the way it is. But take the case of a blogger, who has just been given a free return flight, free stay at the GF, free food and drink, and gets to see a preview of things ahead - it is a big deal. This manipulates the message that the bloggers deliver. They are basically brand advocates, compensated by these events.

Depends. If I am RB, TC, LM, etc then I would probably not write a negative review. And I've said that there should probably be some separation between them and the company. If I'm a "mommy blogger" I would not in any way feel compelled to write a review that was less than truthful any more than a NYT reporter.

bubbles1812

Depends. If I am RB, TC, LM, etc then I would probably not write a negative review. And I've said that there should probably be some separation between them and the company. If I'm a "mommy blogger" I would not in any way feel compelled to write a review that was less than truthful any more than a NYT reporter.
Why would a mommy blogger be more compelled to write a truthful review than the others? Sorry not understanding that. Presumably, they understand the benefits they receive are somewhat contingent on how they portray their comped experience and the company. The incentive is just as much there for her as for the others you listed. Disney isn't going to keep inviting her if she says NFE isn't all it is cracked up to be. Heck, with three guests also allowed to come for free, the incentive to write positively might be even more there if she wants to bring husband and little Bobby and Sue along, again, for FREE.

ptaylor

Premium Member
The mommy blogger wants another free vacation when the next event rolls around. Therefore the blogger will be extremely enthusiastic on Twitter, Facebook, and their blog. That is the entire reason they are invited. They NYT reporter is a pro, and doesn't care if they go back. In some cases, they would probably like to not be invited back.

MattM

Why would a mommy blogger be more compelled to right a truthful review than the others? Sorry not understanding that. Presumably, they understand the benefits they receive are somewhat contingent on how they portray their comped experience and the company. The incentive is just as much there for her as for the others you listed. Disney isn't going to keep inviting her if she says NFE isn't all it is cracked up to be. Heck, with three guests also allowed to come for free, the incentive to write positively might be even more there if she wants to bring husband and little Bobby and Sue along, again, for FREE.

They may not work under the assumption that it is more than a one time deal, like the others. Credibility with their readers is another issue. Like I said, many companies give their products to these mommy bloggers to be reviewed. If they are viewed as an advertisement only, then she loses credibility. Really, we can't assume the NYT reporter won't write a good article just because its free either, can we?

bubbles1812

They may not work under the assumption that it is more than a one time deal, like the others. Credibility with their readers is another issue. Like I said, many companies give their products to these mommy bloggers to be reviewed. If they are viewed as an advertisement only, then she loses credibility. Really, we can't assume the NYT reporter won't write a good article just because its free either, can we?
Except that it has been more than a one time deal for many of them. Disney has already established the precedent. You see the same people at all these events. I can see your point about the credibility but only sort of. The fact is, many people are gullible and many more just don't do their research in regards to the people peddling the product. Many do not disclaim they get "this and that" from Disney including the mommy bloggers. But they certainly know what is going to keep getting them those free trips.

MattM

The mommy blogger wants another free vacation when the next event rolls around. Therefore the blogger will be extremely enthusiastic on Twitter, Facebook, and their blog. That is the entire reason they are invited. They NYT reporter is a pro, and doesn't care if they go back. In some cases, they would probably like to not be invited back.

I guess if we work under all of your assumptions, then sure. But I've never known a "pro" who couldn't be bought, do you? :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom